New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Soldato
FYI this means TN is greater than VA which is greater than IPS - you made me question my purchase two days ago of an IPS! Then reading your post it's clear you mean IPS is generally your top pick.

I'll see how this one arriving from MM is. I have high hopes as I'm coming from a BenQ TN 1080p, which has been great for gaming with its high refresh rate for many years now, but lacking in colour accuracy and general pretty picture-ness.

I'll likely need a new GPU extra quick though given my 980Ti and this new one is 1440p.

Ah I always do that, sorry, I'll go edit it the right way round. :)

Soldato
Any pointers on a Display Port cable? Dell kindly only provide an HDMI, which doesn't support the actual headline refresh rate of 165 Hz... Edit: They do provide one...my apologies

Last edited:
Soldato
Any pointers on a Display Port cable? Dell kindly only provide an HDMI, which doesn't support the actual headline refresh rate of 165 Hz...
I think my last few DP cables were Club3D. I think for HDMI I'm using QED. Not sure on what length you need, but a 2M Vesa certified Club3D DP1.4 cable that supports resolutions up to 8K @ 60Hz and 4K @ 144Hz is around £12 - £20 online. I'm sure that would be OK for 2K @ 165Hz.

Club 3D | DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3 Cable M/M 2m/6.56ft. (club-3d.com)

Associate
Any pointers on a Display Port cable? Dell kindly only provide an HDMI, which doesn't support the actual headline refresh rate of 165 Hz... Edit: They do provide one...my apologies
that is strange , my Dell IPS S2721DGF came with HDMI and Display Port cable inside box

Soldato
Mine arrived on Friday and it came with DP and HDMI cables. That being said both are still in the box as the DP cable I was already using works fine.
I can’t get over how small it looks compared to my Z35p, however it is significantly better.
The super slim bezels make it look smaller than it is, especially when compared to the massive bezels on the Acer.

Soldato
well i'm also returing mine , it is got ips glow , it is revision A02 Manufactured Mar 2021 , can some one please tell me the steps how should i request a return ?
i took some pictures you can see it
https://ibb.co/qg7h16N

https://ibb.co/51xhxpd

https://ibb.co/kHKKPSr
Had you any luck with your return? I have had mine for just over a week and while I don't think it's defective I'm just quite underwhelmed by it. The display is warmer than I would like and annoyingly I can't run either my MacBook or my work (Dell) laptop in RGB mode.
I raised a ticket with them yesterday and they seem intent on referring me to Technical Support - I don't want TS, I just want to return as is my right within the 14 days but they just aren't listening.

Associate
I've had this monitor for about two weeks I'm still unsure if I'm happy with it. I had an eizo ev2455 IPS before which I was happy enough with, this monitor just seems to have a very bad contrast ratio and also a lot of IPS glow which is way more than on my old dead ev2455.

I even bought a spyder x pro for half price to calibrate it with displaycal however still not feeling happy.
Out of the box the colours were way off as rtings review stated. My custom colour gains now are 100R 96G 99B I did notice a green tint out of the box for sure. Once calibrated it's a lot better but still feels over-saturated in general use.

I have to admit I'm super fussy when it comes to displays I have an OLED TV in the living room a plasma in my bedroom so quite spoilt and I flat out refused to use any LCD prior to 2015 and I had a mountain of used 22" lacie and mitsubishi CRT's to play quake on :D Old TN panels just looked disgusting sat next to a decent CRT.

Maybe nano-IPS is not for me as I'm not that fussed with 165hz maybe I should have got a ultra-sharp instead, the problem now is I don't even know if Dell would accept a return on this as I've seen their backlight bleed/ips glow policy and it has to be totally extreme to be accepted for this.

Soldato
I've had this monitor for about two weeks I'm still unsure if I'm happy with it. I had an eizo ev2455 IPS before which I was happy enough with, this monitor just seems to have a very bad contrast ratio and also a lot of IPS glow which is way more than on my old dead ev2455.

I even bought a spyder x pro for half price to calibrate it with displaycal however still not feeling happy.
Out of the box the colours were way off as rtings review stated. My custom colour gains now are 100R 96G 99B I did notice a green tint out of the box for sure. Once calibrated it's a lot better but still feels over-saturated in general use.

I have to admit I'm super fussy when it comes to displays I have an OLED TV in the living room a plasma in my bedroom so quite spoilt and I flat out refused to use any LCD prior to 2015 and I had a mountain of used 22" lacie and mitsubishi CRT's to play quake on :D Old TN panels just looked disgusting sat next to a decent CRT.

Maybe nano-IPS is not for me as I'm not that fussed with 165hz maybe I should have got a ultra-sharp instead, the problem now is I don't even know if Dell would accept a return on this as I've seen their backlight bleed/ips glow policy and it has to be totally extreme to be accepted for this.
This is very much the same for me. I don't know if the nano-IPS thing is over-hyped (or maybe I built it up too much myself) but from an image quality and colour fidelity POV I don't see any appreciable improvement in this over my mid range work Dell S2417H monitor which is obviously traditional IPS.
Furthermore, from an aesthetic POV I actually prefer how images and colours are rendered on my Acer VA panel - perhaps it's the added contrast or just the fact I am used to it after 2 years use. I wholly appreciate the Dell colours MAY be more accurate (although I have my doubts) but the Acer is just 'nicer' to look at.

I spent all week fiddling with settings both software and on the monitor OSD and I just couldn't get it where I wanted it to be. What is more annoying (with homeworking) is my work laptop is security ring-fenced so I can't install display profiles or access the tool within Windows which renders the S2721DGF absolutely useless as the colour saturation is just ridiculous - particularly the reds which is mentioned in the Hardware Unboxed review.

Finally I found the dark levels of the monitor to be extremely poor. When looking at it it has all the signs of low gamma and since there is no gamma control on the monitor itself you are again reliant on software adjustments which are hit and miss. I found the contrast to be decent particularly for (Sim Racing) gaming and watching YouTube - I was expecting worse especially coming from a VA panel however darker elements such as app icons are just too dark. You can use the dark boost tool on the OSD however this brings it's own pitfalls as when viewing content that should actual black in it it turns into a crushed grey mess

All in all, as mentioned in my previous post, I don't think it's an inherently bad monitor however I just expected more based on the price and the spec sheet. Without a hardware calibrator I'd say it's next to impossible to get colours where they need to be and as you have said even with one it's still not perfect.
There is also the annoying issue that when using the HDMI inputs the monitor defaults to YPbPr which is even more faff compounded by the fact there is no first party fix for the MacBook.

So yeah, mine is going back and I'll rock on my Predator for the time being until I can afford an IPS ultrawide...

Associate
@GMac11 Yes I think the main issue is at this price point it feels disappointing. It's not a budget monitor in price (£450 ~ RRP) it's more midrange for 27" 1440p I guess the main premium you're paying for though is for 165hz 1440p.
I paid a premium before for my Eizo monitor which was only 60hz and 1200p but out of the box and everything else was far superior.

I feel Dell does not have much quality control over panels being used in these, where say in their ultrasharp line they are selecting good panels and factory calibrating the monitors. All in all I get the sense this is a budget monitor.

Please let us know how your return goes!

PS mine is an A02 revision and manufactured in march 2021

Soldato
Sadly the PC market seems only focused now on display latency, its as if the entire market is just for FPS gamers.

It is good IPS is more mainstream, but make no mistake modern IPS is inferior to old IPS, my dell 2209WA, still runs rings round my new IPS screens, the viewing angle is not in the same league. The new LG, has more overshoot than the older LG, but all in the name of getting better response times, it seems "response times" is everything.

With that said though I think they are "good enough" for me. I have had far worse monitors.

Associate
Sadly the PC market seems only focused now on display latency, its as if the entire market is just for FPS gamers.

It is good IPS is more mainstream, but make no mistake modern IPS is inferior to old IPS, my dell 2209WA,

Yes, I have to say I noticed the vertical viewing angles on this are a lot worse than my old IPS. Need to flip a coin soon decide I can be happy with it or I need to get something else and try return. This type of things eats away at me lol.

Soldato
Yes, I have to say I noticed the vertical viewing angles on this are a lot worse than my old IPS. Need to flip a coin soon decide I can be happy with it or I need to get something else and try return. This type of things eats away at me lol.

I remember contacting a reviewer about this as they label these screens as "typical viewing angles for IPS", they said the reason they dont say "poor for historical IPS" is they only compare monitors to others released around the same time, not old models.

Soldato
@GMac11Please let us know how your return goes!
Well I finally got the message through to them and the monitor was collected by DPD (at their behest) yesterday (Friday).
Their T&C's state that a refund is issued upon successful collection (rather than return/delivery) however I have received nothing from them. Although I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt with it being the weekend - will hopefully hear something about the actual refund next week. It's on paypal credit as 12 monthly instalments so I'm in no big panic about the refund itself, I've fulfilled my end of the deal.

Soldato
I remember contacting a reviewer about this as they label these screens as "typical viewing angles for IPS", they said the reason they dont say "poor for historical IPS" is they only compare monitors to others released around the same time, not old models.

Ironically we may now know the reason, LG tried to get HUB to stop comparing new LG screens to older LG screens.

Associate
Is it a complete waste of money to swap from the LG 27GL80 to the Dell S2721DGFA?

It's on offer for 329 at John Lewis right now (and at Curry's as well) and it's tempting - but I can't help but think I'd just be throwing money away for the sake of 165hz vs 144hz. I've had my 27GL850 ever since they started being sold on Overclockers around November/December 2019.

Back
Top Bottom