New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Soldato
I tried today a *lot*. :p No dice. The offer is over.

If you read the HotUkDeals thread, it gives a bit more info.

I think I'll wait now, there are new AUOptronics panels coming which are better than the LG Nano IPS (see Hardware Unboxed latest MSI review).

I have kept my order live with an eye out for something better, the delay can work against them in this way.

What has annoyed me a bit with this panel (I dont know how bad it is, whether reviewers have exaggerated the issue or not) is that this blacks problem is solved on a 4k version of the panel, so it seems it might be a problem introduced via a cost cutting variant used on the 1440p versions. I have observed though that the vast majority of people who own this panel, are not moaning about blacks, its something the reviewers have done but not the user base.

Caporegime
I have kept my order live with an eye out for something better, the delay can work against them in this way.

What has annoyed me a bit with this panel (I dont know how bad it is, whether reviewers have exaggerated the issue or not) is that this blacks problem is solved on a 4k version of the panel, so it seems it might be a problem introduced via a cost cutting variant used on the 1440p versions. I have observed though that the vast majority of people who own this panel, are not moaning about blacks, its something the reviewers have done but not the user base.
How many users will deliberately use an all-black image to check for backlight bleed, or an all-red, all-green, all-blue screen to check for stuck pixels?

Plenty of people will spend £100s on their monitor/TV and not do any checks at all..

It doesn't mean the screen is good, it just means the majority don't even think to test it!

Soldato
How many users will deliberately use an all-black image to check for backlight bleed, or an all-red, all-green, all-blue screen to check for stuck pixels?

Plenty of people will spend £100s on their monitor/TV and not do any checks at all..

It doesn't mean the screen is good, it just means the majority don't even think to test it!

What is good to a person is what they expect really, which is why I was asking a question of how bad nano ips blacks are compared to normal ips blacks instead of how bad they are vs VA/OLED. Since I dont use the other two panel types they not relevant to me, it is how good it is compared to what I am used to, sadly though it has been revealed they are worse than normal IPS, so is a question of how noticeable it is. Hard to answer without seeing one in the flesh.

If a problem is only a problem when you look for it, then its not really a problem. The panel used in the MSI for sure looks more promising though. So I will be looking out for a display that uses it, that doesnt look like a kids toy and has the features I am interested in, if it arrives at a competitive price I will switch my order. :)

Caporegime
Apparently the G7 Odyssey might be £430 on a BF deal. The only thing I'm worried about then would be the curvature.

I've not seen a curved screen in the flesh and I'm not convinced it'll be for me. Especially as it's a really aggressive 1000R curve. Yikes.

Also yeah that MSI looks like it was designed by Marvel for an 8 year old Avengers fan :p The "gamer" aesthetic is so ridiculous.

Soldato
I been looking into the colours been over saturated problem on sRGB content, the LG has a sRGB clamp mode whilst the dell doesnt, that is a problem I feel that could potentially annoy me with no easy fix without a monitor mode for it?

Caporegime
I been looking into the colours been over saturated problem on sRGB content, the LG has a sRGB clamp mode whilst the dell doesnt, that is a problem I feel that could potentially annoy me with no easy fix without a monitor mode for it?
The solution to that is the same as the (same problem with the) MSI - hardware calibration. Although then you're looking at another £100+ to buy a calibration sensor, which you might use once in a blue moon.

However (as I understand it) you can only calibrate for sRGB or one of the wide-gamut standards, not both. So you'd have to keep recalibrating the thing depending on the content you wanted to display? I'm not sure but it seems that way.

Soldato

I checked mine with a blank black screen but didn’t think to check with all red, all green, and all blue screen. I’ve just done this and there’s no stuck pixels. I have the 27GN950-B.

Soldato
The solution to that is the same as the (same problem with the) MSI - hardware calibration. Although then you're looking at another £100+ to buy a calibration sensor, which you might use once in a blue moon.

However (as I understand it) you can only calibrate for sRGB or one of the wide-gamut standards, not both. So you'd have to keep recalibrating the thing depending on the content you wanted to display? I'm not sure but it seems that way.

Yeah so I think the dell (as well as this new MSI) are off my list, I can see that been a big issue for me.

There is a LG using an older panel (27GL83A) that is in stock, its not the got the wider colours and a bit slower. I would like the option of the wider colours though. There is the 27GL850 and 27GN850, and I will be on the look out for displays with the panel used in the MSI, but have sRGB mode added. The black is a potential issue for me as well of course, so definitely going to wait now.

Associate
You won't be able to get lower price. Because, Ireland and UK sites are different and they don't offer the same deals and prices, as I asked few times already this is the answer I got. And their delivery date is 26th of January so I highly doubt you can get any other discount because of shipment being late. Also keep in mind that, Brexit is around the corner so after 1st of January, there will be customs between UK and Ireland. I don't know if and how it will impact the warranty but if you have to return your monitor to UK and get a replacement, it will be a big hassle. As someone will have to deal with the customs process and I doubt that will be Dell. So best you can do is getting it for 390 euro (which is actually 10% student discounted price over the actual 433€) and then hope to get it delivered on time.

Just my 2 cents, I doubt they will manage to deliver it on 26th of January as there is huge backlog of the orders, especially from this site and other deals websites.
That makes sense, I guess I will just go ahead and put in an order for now (can always cancel later right haha). Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but the support guy told me they review the prices every Thursday. So keep an eye out for that day to monitor any changes! Thanks :)

Associate
Apparently the G7 Odyssey might be £430 on a BF deal. The only thing I'm worried about then would be the curvature.

I've not seen a curved screen in the flesh and I'm not convinced it'll be for me. Especially as it's a really aggressive 1000R curve. Yikes.

Also yeah that MSI looks like it was designed by Marvel for an 8 year old Avengers fan :p The "gamer" aesthetic is so ridiculous.

G7 is a train wreck, I have bought at least 8 of them, 70% chance of dead pixels, terrible bleed. I have given up on the G7

Associate
G7 is a train wreck, I have bought at least 8 of them, 70% chance of dead pixels, terrible bleed. I have given up on the G7

Rtings have just updated their Best Monitor thread and now features the G7 as the top monitor lol wtf. With the amount of issues people have with that display, I am very surprised they are putting it at the #1 spot :/

Also the curve is far too extreme for a 27 inch display, and many won't buy it because of that.

On a different note, how does VA have backlight bleed? I thought it was different tech to IPS which did not suffer such issue?

Associate
Rtings have just updated their Best Monitor thread and now features the G7 as the top monitor lol wtf. With the amount of issues people have with that display, I am very surprised they are putting it at the #1 spot :/

Also the curve is far too extreme for a 27 inch display, and many won't buy it because of that.

On a different note, how does VA have backlight bleed? I thought it was different tech to IPS which did not suffer such issue?

Picture the batman logo in the middle of the screen. Issues this week I have had, dead pixels, one unit was clearly a reboxed refurb, all had bleed some more so than others, vertical lines and flicker in HDR games starting up with new firmware installed, local dimming on right currently stuck.

Avoid

Caporegime

HUB have also given the G7 their "best 1440p gaming monitor" recommendation. Despite hating the curve, lol.

I've kind of ruled it out because that curve is so extreme I really don't think I'll get on with it.

Also thinking these wide-gamut monitors potentially cause more problems than they're worth, but all the recent entries seem to be wide gamut. Pain in the ass, really.

Caporegime
Hmm, I really don't like the stand on the Gigabytes. Horrid :p

Acer has a new IPS panel, with a 240Hz refresh (that's not so important as the fact that it's a new, different IPS panel) available already in the US and China.

It's not over here yet.

acer_nitro_xv272u_xbmiipruzx (FreeSync)
27-predator-xb3-monitor-xb273u-gxbmiipruzx (G-sync)

Back
Top Bottom