New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
After the pathetic service from Dell I cancelled my order the other day and have taken receipt of my LG 27GL850. What a great monitor it is, coming from a ten year old Dell screen this is a revelation, so sharp and the colours just pop. Now if only I could also get my 3080 to take good advantage of it :)

Caporegime
After the pathetic service from Dell I cancelled my order the other day and have taken receipt of my LG 27GL850. What a great monitor it is, coming from a ten year old Dell screen this is a revelation, so sharp and the colours just pop. Now if only I could also get my 3080 to take good advantage of it :)
Question: how much force does it take to push that monitor over backwards? I'm looking at the stand, and thinking the only thing stopping it falling backwards is the weight of the screen itself, since both feet face forwards.

When you have a cat, this becomes a consideration :p :p

Associate
Question: how much force does it take to push that monitor over backwards? I'm looking at the stand, and thinking the only thing stopping it falling backwards is the weight of the screen itself, since both feet face forwards.

When you have a cat, this becomes a consideration :p :p

It's wants to fall forward, with the stand preventing it doing so. Very stable straight back and forward. Pushing back at an angle is less stable but can't see how a cat could push it over, it needs two hands.

You're fine, your cat's not pushing it over :) FWIW, I would prefer the Dell stand, for aesthetic reasons.

Soldato

what is your opinion on the blacks?

Soldato
They look good to me. Much better than my old monitor. Can't see much, if any bleed but not tried it in the dark yet but I don't tend to play in a dark room.

Yeah it was a first impressions thing, thats good as I am considering the LG. I ruled out the dell due to lack of sRGB profile and also decided the fact it can downscale 4k natively is nice as well.

Associate
I can second to the pathetic service from Dell. Called customer care last Friday. Was told my order would be expeditated for delivery today. Todays happens - Nothing. Order is from 6th Oct.

Back on to them again this afternoon. Now its a part's shortage. Bunch of liars. Where is the best place to pick up the LG - tired of this sham from Dell. Crap

Soldato
Is there a reason people cannot wait? reminds me of the RTX saga, everyone wants it "now".

The LG is now off my list again lol, and I might put dell back on it, as hardware unboxed did provide settings to dial in a sRGB'ish profile manually, the reason been the LG stand base is huge, my existing 27 inch is on the far left of my desk, and the LG just wouldnt work.

Associate
Well I think first main reason is unclear delivery date. It says Jan 2021 but I doubt it will be shipped at that time. Besides people prefer to buy the same panel from LG with discounted price instead of waiting for 2 months at least. Besides, if another f* up happens at the promised delivery date, all of the Black Friday & Christmas will be already over so it won't be possible to get it from that price. On the other hand, I wil be waiting for my delivery date patiently.

Soldato
Also I have emailed rting's requesting in their reviews they mention things like the LG vs Dell 4k behaviour on the PS5 and and things like sRGB options.

Caporegime
Well I think first main reason is unclear delivery date. It says Jan 2021 but I doubt it will be shipped at that time. Besides people prefer to buy the same panel from LG with discounted price instead of waiting for 2 months at least. Besides, if another f* up happens at the promised delivery date, all of the Black Friday & Christmas will be already over so it won't be possible to get it from that price. On the other hand, I wil be waiting for my delivery date patiently.
OTOH, Dell will drop the S2721DGF price at a future point. They regularly drop it to ~£330 (current LG deal price), and then you can apply student/work discount on top.

Bringing the Dell to <£300 (perhaps about £280).

At the current full price of £390, the Dell is totally not worth it.

I'm inclined to wait because the LG and the Dell have such awful contrast that I'd rather wait for future panels. If I'm spending £300+ on a monitor, I'm not really inclined to compromise on image quality. Would rather in fact spend £400 and get something fantastic.

Soldato
OTOH, Dell will drop the S2721DGF price at a future point. They regularly drop it to ~£330 (current LG deal price), and then you can apply student/work discount on top.

Bringing the Dell to <£300 (perhaps about £280).

At the current full price of £390, the Dell is totally not worth it.

I'm inclined to wait because the LG and the Dell have such awful contrast that I'd rather wait for future panels. If I'm spending £300+ on a monitor, I'm not really inclined to compromise on image quality. Would rather in fact spend £400 and get something fantastic.

It feels like anything under about £600-700 is deemed budget now by the panel vendors, I think the quality on offer between say £300 and £400 is non existent. I seen all the rage about HDR, etc, then realised you need to spend 1k plus on a huge tv to get that kind of quality, the display industry has gone to the toilet. It used to be you didnt need to spend that kind of money to avoid bad compromises. It is especially worrying how far ahead TV's have gone, but again, TV's have a similar issue where none of their best quality stuff trickles down to smaller sizes, like the TV companies think quality only matters on giant 50+ inch TV's. The MSI panel seems to have the least compromises, but then waiting for a monitor vendor to not make stupid issues like not including sRGB mode. The gigabyte monitor I mentioned yesterday I noticed is only an 8 bit panel.

I still remember the 2209WA, was truly a master stroke of a product, had viewing angles I have never seen replicated since, 8bit (when typically panels were 6bit then), and was under £250. That kind of revolutionary product seems gone now. :(

Caporegime
It feels like anything under about £600-700 is deemed budget now by the panel vendors, I think the quality on offer between say £300 and £400 is non existent. I seen all the rage about HDR, etc, then realised you need to spend 1k plus on a huge tv to get that kind of quality, the display industry has gone to the toilet. It used to be you didnt need to spend that kind of money to avoid bad compromises. It is especially worrying how far ahead TV's have gone, but again, TV's have a similar issue where none of their best quality stuff trickles down to smaller sizes, like the TV companies think quality only matters on giant 50+ inch TV's. The MSI panel seems to have the least compromises, but then waiting for a monitor vendor to not make stupid issues like not including sRGB mode. The gigabyte monitor I mentioned yesterday I noticed is only an 8 bit panel.

I still remember the 2209WA, was truly a master stroke of a product, had viewing angles I have never seen replicated since, 8bit (when typically panels were 6bit then), and was under £250. That kind of revolutionary product seems gone now. :(
There's not really anything for £600-£700 that hits the ball out of the park either.

And they're all ultra-wide at that price for the most part. Not sure I want an UW.

It's almost like LCD tech is ancient and just not very good :D

Back
Top Bottom