New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
Ha ha, I get that, but you can't start with it free and then move to pricing. I did wonder about just having it as a free app, but what's the point of that ;)

In some ways it was more about if anyone wanted to support me. Sounds a little odd I know, but someone recently was asking for ways to support my YouTube channel, this is a bit like that, support me and also get what might be a useful app? Whilst I'm not short on cash (well, I did recently find out I could be made redundant in a couple of years, hence learning to code) I do pour a lot of time into my YT channel and now coding, so I guess it's nice if I can get a little back from it.

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm playing around with a Note 4 whilst I wait for the Oneplus 5 and I'm after a different phone/clock app...

I guess I could use Truecaller as my dialer? Is that okay? I think I might get annoyed with all the adds though :rolleyes:

What sort of clock apps, specifically with nice home screen widgets are there about?

Thanks.

Soldato
Anyone recommend a good equaliser for nexus 6p. The podcast app i have (podcast republic) actually reduces sound rather than improves it. Free or paid i don't mind as i have over £5 in google reward credit i never seem to spend.

Associate
My wife often uses the live photos feature on her iPhone which is brilliant especially when taking photos of my son who doesn't stop long enough to pose. Can anyone recommend an app for Android that has this functionality?

Cheers

Edit: Camera MX has the functionality. Will give this a try for a while.

Last edited:
Soldato
Charging 99p for a beta? Which is a timer?
Your nerve knows no bounds sir!! :p

I did something similar with my Train Sleeper app.

You'd select what TOC you were on, where you where wanting to get off and a notification of how many miles out you wanted notified. It then "woke" you up by buzzing and playing tune when you got to that range.

I started a free version with adds and a paid version which allowed you to save journeys but it neither came to much.

This was back in the days of Android 3 and 4 so it was pretty basic. I scrapped it after a few months as the concept really was pointless given you could just use a GPS alarm which is all the app boiled down too.

Soldato
Anyone got a good interval timer for sports / fitness?

Tried a few but I need one that will beep over the top off or cut in to Google play music and Spotify whilst the phone is locked in my pocket.

Thanking you

Associate
I realise this has been asked a few times before but though I may aswell ask again because why not. And also because I want to make sure I get the right app.

Looking for a sat nav, Needs offline maps for majority of Europe (Preferably that I can select which countries I need to save a bit of space)

Doesn't need speed camera detection, and ideally need one that doesn't as Europe laws are a bit funny about that. Also fully expect to pay for a good one. I would like to use Google maps but it doesn't look like I can download entire countries on that?

Soldato
On Google Maps you can zoom out and download portions of each country, and repeat until you have the entire country? Could do that but a quick check, half of Germany which fits in one area seems to take 1.7GB.

Associate
When I was on Windows Phone I was using Here maps and it was brilliant. Used many times in France (downloaded entire country map) , has offline maps and it's completely free. I'd highly recommend that.

Soldato
I realise this has been asked a few times before but though I may aswell ask again because why not. And also because I want to make sure I get the right app.

Looking for a sat nav, Needs offline maps for majority of Europe (Preferably that I can select which countries I need to save a bit of space)

Doesn't need speed camera detection, and ideally need one that doesn't as Europe laws are a bit funny about that. Also fully expect to pay for a good one. I would like to use Google maps but it doesn't look like I can download entire countries on that?

If it's to avoid roaming charges, they may not be applicable after June (whilst we're in the EU at least :D)

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom