New essential Android apps thread

Associate
If it's to avoid roaming charges, they may not be applicable after June (whilst we're in the EU at least :D)
It's going to be used on a device with no connection at all aside from GPS so not a case of cost.

Just tried using Google maps and it does the job but I take back what I said earlier, I'm not a massive fan of the interface.

Tried Here maps (Or 'Herewego' is that the same) and that does the job nicely. Downloaded all areas I need and It has a nice interface.

Soldato
What are people using for News/RSS? Trying to find something that will auto download for offline reading.

Is gReader Pro + Feedly still the way to go?

Soldato
I realise this has been asked a few times before but though I may aswell ask again because why not. And also because I want to make sure I get the right app.

Looking for a sat nav, Needs offline maps for majority of Europe (Preferably that I can select which countries I need to save a bit of space)

Doesn't need speed camera detection, and ideally need one that doesn't as Europe laws are a bit funny about that. Also fully expect to pay for a good one. I would like to use Google maps but it doesn't look like I can download entire countries on that?

I use Copilot EU as a backup to tomtom. It also has offline maps

Associate
Hey Guys - can anyone recommend me the best app to get visual voicemail and an email app for both my Hotmail and Gmail accounts.

Associate
I see samsung pay UK is available today. Is it better than Android pay? I presume you'll need a Samsung phone? In truth I'm yet to use Android pay yet as still use money or a card :p

Soldato
Samsung Pay is indeed only for Samsung phones and watches, the only main advantage I read was that it works with magnetic swipe terminals, where it emulates a card being swiped in. Although unlike the US, the UK has migrated over to chip and pin so it's that really a huge advantage here. As for a disadvantage, Samsung Pay doesn't have as many supported banks as Android Pay yet.

Soldato
Reading the Samsung website it looks like my Note 4 isn't supported by Samsung pay :confused:
Surprising as Android pay work fine on it, & I only wanted Samsung pay because I wear an S3 watch which Andriod pay doesn't support.

Also, app not showing on the Samsung app store for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might be due to Samsung Pay also requiring the phone to have MST, which allows it to work with magnetic stripe terminals? Although I don't see any reason why Samsung hasn't made a version for NFC only phones.

Back
Top Bottom