New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
what browser does everyone use, all of them seem pants compared to the desktop browsers.
is there any which extensions or at least a decent add block built in but still functions properly.
I was using Tugabrowser for a good while - very fast compared to Chrome and great ad blocking features. I started having crash issues on my 6P with the latest builds so switched to the Brave browser on the playstore and haven't looked back. Its basically Tuga but without the forward/back gestures. All the mainstream browsers are just too heavy or don't have decent ad/script blocking.

Definitely check out Brave.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it won't sync with your chrome bookmarks, thanks to google killing off the API for 'security'.

Associate
what browser does everyone use, all of them seem pants compared to the desktop browsers.
is there any which extensions or at least a decent add block built in but still functions properly.

I'm using the Samsung Internet browser, it's not bad at all. Has extensions and can install a add blocker.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You should really use the same browser as you use on your PC, that way you synchronise tabs, passwords, and can send tabs/text/links/files etc between them all.

For this reason, I use Firefox and have Sync enabled on all devices. It works brilliantly, and the upshot of Firefox is that YouTube can play in the background because FF uses the media notifier to put a notification tab as if it were a music player.

Soldato
For this reason, I use Firefox and have Sync enabled on all devices. It works brilliantly, and the upshot of Firefox is that YouTube can play in the background because FF uses the media notifier to put a notification tab as if it were a music player.

Didn't Google change something on their end which broke background play? There was a lot of threads on the FF reddit that Youtube now detects if it is focused or in the background.

Associate
I'm using the Samsung Internet Beta browser. I've found that if you extract the apk file you can install it on other phones and use the Adblockers designed for it including 'Adblock Plus for Samsung Browser', 'Adguard Content Blocker' and 'Disconnect for Samsung Internet Browser'.

So far it's installed on a Moto G3, Moto G4 Plus and a Sony Xperia Z. It won't install on any Tablet including Samsung so I'm guessing it checks the screen size when it tries to install.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Didn't Google change something on their end which broke background play? There was a lot of threads on the FF reddit that Youtube now detects if it is focused or in the background.

Hmm, just checked and looks like Google plugged this "feature"!!! - Firefox loads up the media notification, but the moment you switch apps, Youtube pauses as it detects focus change.

Soldato
I use the samsung browser too on my current devices (S7/S8) because it's so so smooth. Chrome just doesn't even come close for Samsung devices for me. Bookmark / tab sync is kinda annoying but i get by.

I guess I could use Truecaller as my dialer? Is that okay? I think I might get annoyed with all the adds though :rolleyes:

I was previously using Calls Blacklist Pro where you could block single numbers and number ranges, but they still carried on calling me from more numbers. I'm on the TPS for God's sake :mad:

Anyway I'm trying Truecaller now. I've had 2 new calls today and it was able to identify that both of them were ambulance chasers. 250 million people use this, so I think it's creating a database of rogue numbers that are submitted collectively by the users. Seems like a good idea. There are adverts in it, but one of the in-app purchases might get rid of them? Haven't checked yet.

Man of Honour
I was previously using Calls Blacklist Pro where you could block single numbers and number ranges, but they still carried on calling me from more numbers. I'm on the TPS for God's sake :mad:

Anyway I'm trying Truecaller now. I've had 2 new calls today and it was able to identify that both of them were ambulance chasers. 250 million people use this, so I think it's creating a database of rogue numbers that are submitted collectively by the users. Seems like a good idea. There are adverts in it, but one of the in-app purchases might get rid of them? Haven't checked yet.

Uploads the contents of your entire phone book too

Associate
Chrome for me, the best "overall" imo plus it syncs with my main browser on my desktop etc.

Not tried Chrome in a while on my phone but see it now renders this forum a lot better than it used too. I have been using Opera as it reflows text very well if you zoom in. To sync bookmarks I use Opera on my PC's. Won't say it's the best option but mostly works. Opera for Android is a bit light on options one of which is to be able to set a default zoom level.

Associate
I'm using the Samsung Internet Beta browser. I've found that if you extract the apk file you can install it on other phones and use the Adblockers designed for it including 'Adblock Plus for Samsung Browser', 'Adguard Content Blocker' and 'Disconnect for Samsung Internet Browser'.

So far it's installed on a Moto G3, Moto G4 Plus and a Sony Xperia Z. It won't install on any Tablet including Samsung so I'm guessing it checks the screen size when it tries to install.

How are you finding the beta version of the browser?. I'm using the normal one and really like it.

Associate
How are you finding the beta version of the browser?. I'm using the normal one and really like it.

It's noticeably faster and just as stable. You now have the option to use up to 5 Content Blockers rather than just the one in the non-beta and the option to use DuckDuckGo as the search engine has been added. I'd recommend switching to it now as you can still retain the stock version to use simultaneously.

The biggest negative is that you can't import bookmarks and settings from another browser even on the same device or backup your current settings to restore after a reset or on a new device. You can save the bookmarks as you can in the stock version but still have to set up logins one by one again after a reset.

As far as I can tell Samsung ignore feedback or feature requests as usual.

Uploads the contents of your entire phone book too

Further to my previous post, I wasn't too keen on Truecaller in the end. Found it to be slow e.g. text messaging took ~3 seconds to open on my Note 4. Also, I was hoping to pay a on-off fee of like £10 or £15 to get rid of the ads, but they wanted monthly payments. Something like £1.40/month. I can't do with faffing about with that, as most apps/games can be go "full" or "pro" for a lump sum. That's the business model I prefer.

Caporegime
Anyone with AMOLED made their gboard completely black? Really quite nice now.

Don't use the dark theme, just choose a custom image, then set brightness of it to 0. Then turn off key borders.

How is it compared to swiftkey? I feel bad for leaving swiftkey after all these years.

Back
Top Bottom