New essential Android apps thread

Associate
As much as I love chrome, ads are killing web browsing for me big time now, getting ridiculous the amount to the point it even slows browsing down a fair bit so using samsung internet browser with adblock plus and it is pure bliss :cool:.

Nexus, I've been using Adhell for Samsung phones and it seems to work. Anyone know if there are any security issues with it. As you say ads on some websites are becoming a pain.

Caporegime
Nexus, I've been using Adhell for Samsung phones and it seems to work. Anyone know if there are any security issues with it. As you say ads on some websites are becoming a pain.

Had a look at that one, seemed decent enough but just went with adblock plus in the end since I'm familiar with it already and did use it on my browsers with no issues.

Associate
I'd previously mentioned that I'd been using the Samsung Internet Beta as my browser as there were many improvements over the stock version. It now looks as though the changes they made in the beta have now been incorporated into the stock browser. In addition while the Samsung Internet extension for Chrome will now transfer bookmarks to the stock browser it doesn't work with the beta version so I've gone back to using the stock version again and very nice it is.

Man of Honour
I'd previously mentioned that I'd been using the Samsung Internet Beta as my browser as there were many improvements over the stock version. It now looks as though the changes they made in the beta have now been incorporated into the stock browser. In addition while the Samsung Internet extension for Chrome will now transfer bookmarks to the stock browser it doesn't work with the beta version so I've gone back to using the stock version again and very nice it is.
wish they would allow it on any device, keep forgetting to look for updates, after your post went and downloaded the latest beta and tabs is now working properly. Which was my only issue, the rest works great, including ad blocker.

Soldato
Can anyone work out how to sign into your Samsung account on the Samsung Internet browser? I decided to give it a go and created a Samsung account, imported my Chrome bookmarks with the browser extensions but then couldn't find the sign in option in the browser. I managed to work out if I go into the tabs page, then select open tabs from other device, it takes me to the Android accounts page, but when I select add account I can't see any Samsung option anywhere.

On the other hand though it does seem to allow me to sync with a Firefox account. I've done that and it seems to sync only the bookmarks but that's fine with me for now. Guess that gives me a good excuse to use Firefox on the PC. And the fact it uses Firefox sync instead of Samsung's own services gives me a peace of mind on who has my bookmarks :p.

Soldato
It's a while since I did it but I think you go to your phone settings, accounts and add new account then select Samsung. Either that or through the MyGalaxy or Galaxy App.
That's the thing, I checked there already but the option's not there. I tried checking for the MyGalaxy/Galaxy app in the Play store too but nothing, probably due to me not using a Samsung phone. Oh well, the Firefox sync will do for now.

EDIT: Was wrong about before, it's now syncing my tabs. Feels great to get off Chrome :p.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having trouble using a Pixel XL to log into my Samsung account, how did you manage it in the end? No option for me when I go to Add Account.

There's an option for "Firefox account" which I'm using instead, which uses Mozilla's sync service. Means I can't sync with Chrome however. I have a feeling the Samsung account option is only for Samsung phones.

Associate
Does anyone know a way of auto launching google maps driving mode with macrodroid or similar app like tasker?

I want to be able to have the new driving mode shortcut auto launch when the phone (s8+) connects to my cars Bluetooth.

Does anyone know of the shortcut for the app?

Many thanks

Soldato
Does anyone know a way of auto launching google maps driving mode with macrodroid or similar app like tasker?

I want to be able to have the new driving mode shortcut auto launch when the phone (s8+) connects to my cars Bluetooth.

Does anyone know of the shortcut for the app?

Many thanks

Llama does it for me, can even only start when the phone is charging, delay {x} secs/mins after plug in, so you can start car etc.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a calendar app that allows a joint calendar that multiple people can edit as required? Mainly just for my girlfriend and I to keep track of when we have days off work at the same time and whatnot. Ideally with notifications when someone makes a change.

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a calendar app that allows a joint calendar that multiple people can edit as required? Mainly just for my girlfriend and I to keep track of when we have days off work at the same time and whatnot. Ideally with notifications when someone makes a change.

You can share Google calendars between users through the web interface

Associate
I'm very impressed with Adhell. I subscribe to a Daily Newspaper app that's jam packed with ads despite the subscription and this removes every one. It took a couple of installs to get it working on my Note 4 but it worked straight away on my Tab S tablet.

Back
Top Bottom