New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
Does anyone know of a countdown timer that gives spoken updates as to how long is left and works it out working on a desired finish time?

Basically what it'd like something which could be used in situations like this: Guests coming round at 11.30am. The house needs tidying. Set the timer to finish at 11.20am. The app then works out how long is left and gives updates when for the is an hour remain and 30 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 minutes etc...

Associate
Perhaps have a look at zooper widget, very customisable

Thanks, I checked Zooper and found it's no longer being supported. I've installed KWGT which is really good.

Does anyone know of any free or paid widgets which can show phone specs (ram, disk space and uptime) please?. Preferably with widget customisation.

Soldato
As well as my desire for a countdown timer as mentioned above. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good cooking timer app that allows you to schedule reminders etc for various different dishes so everything is ready at the same time and it reminds you when you need to be doing things?

I'm fairly sure I used to have something similar but I can't find anything from a few searches

Soldato
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good cooking timer app that allows you to schedule reminders etc for various different dishes so everything is ready at the same time and it reminds you when you need to be doing things?

Well, as it happens, that's exactly what my timer app does :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidandyuk.kitchentimer

You can plan things in seriel or parallel. You can have a 'buffer' for something to finish early too. When you have it set all right, you can save it for another time too. Please let me know what you think :)

Soldato
Oh brilliant, I shall have a play with that today and let you know what I think :)

Very first thing, the interface when adding an item isn't displaying quite right...

20170620_092250_zpsfbptixkp.jpg

Also I can't seem to edit or delete any items. If I long press on an item it opens up a menu to edit or delete but neither button works...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I just found a great little app (£7.99 though). twomonusb allows you to connect any ipad or Android tablet to any Windows or Mac. I appreciate iOS has had this functionality for a while but it's now allowed me to repurpose an older 10" Android tablet as a very portable external monitor (with touchscreen) for my laptop. It's going ot be hugely useful when I'm working away from home and not on my main desktop.

jP4ZuE5.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Not seen that before. What phone are you on?

I'm using a Nexus 7 that's running 4.4.4 (yes I know I should update...)

Have had a chance to try something. Update and let me know if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Will give it a go in a bit and let you know.

edit: Just updated. The buttons for initial entry all display correctly now, and function fine. The Delete and Edit buttons still don't function sadly.

Also, I wondered if there was any chance of being able to increase the maximum length of time to 4 hours? I'm hoping to use this when I'm smoking meat etc so could use longer time periods if possible :)

I have to say I like the functionality a lot and can see myself using it for all sorts of cooking tasks. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Great, I'm happy that you like it. I do have an option to try for the edit/delete, when I get a chance to concentrate on the code again (probably tomorrow evening). Increase to 4 hours should be easy enough. :)

Do let me know if you have any other ideas. Not that I want to over complicate it :)

Soldato
Associate
I just found a great little app (£7.99 though). twomonusb allows you to connect any ipad or Android tablet to any Windows or Mac. I appreciate iOS has had this functionality for a while but it's now allowed me to repurpose an older 10" Android tablet as a very portable external monitor (with touchscreen) for my laptop. It's going ot be hugely useful when I'm working away from home and not on my main desktop.

jP4ZuE5.jpg

Excellent thanks for shareing, now i wonder if this will work between my mobile phone a moto g4 plus with the laptop.

Heres me experience it works with the moto g4 plus and what i need is someone to point me into the right direction i mean i want to share the smartphone screen to laptop not laptop screen to smartphone which is what i experienced.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Download an app called "AppSales: Apps Gone Free & Apps on Sale". Each day it'll show you price changes for any apps, etc. I've found some good stuff on there which I wouldn't have ever known about without it.

Back
Top Bottom