New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
I wonder if anyone would help by beta testing my new app that I just released as a beta?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidandyuk.regularreminders

I wont lie, it's kind of a rip off of an app I've used for years called 'Reguarly', but the development stopped almost 4 years ago. I can't even email the dev as the email account no longer exists, so thought I'd make a new version myself with the features I wanted (mainly sync through Google account)

All feedback and suggestions welcome :)

anyone know how to stop the phone forever asking me if i know the unsaved number that called? 50 calls a day gets annoying when they randomly ask do i know this number. seperate notifications for each number as well. **** off google.

Soldato
anyone know how to stop the phone forever asking me if i know the unsaved number that called? 50 calls a day gets annoying when they randomly ask do i know this number. seperate notifications for each number as well. **** off google.

Can you hold your finger on the notification until it comes up with an option to block the notifications?

nexus 6P

this is sometimes what i get when some numbers call.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...droid-app-caller-id-block-spam-nuisance-calls

(the red screen thing)

but it's not that that annoys me, it's the silent notifications that happenly randomly for numbers i've not saved. i'll screen shot tomorrow to show as i can't find anything online.

i may try holding to block notifications, however i feel i tried this before and it was saying i'm blocking all "phone" app notifications

Soldato
6P user here as well, the red screen caller doesn't bother me that much, but I've never seen a silent notification for unsaved numbers at all. Are you sure that's coming from the Google dialler? As @VortexA1 mentioned, you can hold the notification and it will tell you which app it's coming from.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Amex now works with Android Pay in the UK.

Used it for the first time today and it works really well. You must unlock the phone first though, whereas Barclays contactless works even when the screen is off (unless you set it up with a PIN at all times).

I have noticed that Android Pay works from a greater distance from the PDQ than other contactless app based payments. I can hover the phone inches away from it and it works, whereas when using Barclays, I have to get within 2cm of the PDQ.

I only bank with these two banks, so was quite bummed when I couldn't use Android Pay all this time.

I think even though I have Amex only on it, it will work anywhere that accepts Android Pay, even if they don't take Amex? Might have to try it...

Soldato
I think even though I have Amex only on it, it will work anywhere that accepts Android Pay, even if they don't take Amex? Might have to try it...

From experience it works with anywhere that accepts contactless cards, doesn't even have to state Android pay support. As for banks I've no idea, I have my HSBC card linked to it which is more widely accepted. I tried Barclays own app as well but didn't find it as easy and convenient as Pay.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh I meant as in Amex Contactless, which is only accepted by places that take Amex. Whereas Android Pay is normal contactless and accepted everywhere these days pretty much.

I like Android Pay because of the way I shows your transactions and where for each card. Barclays one just mashed all contactless payments amongst your usual card payments and direct debits etc in the app.

Barclays one is more convenient as it means no need to wake the phone, and maximum of £100 is nice.

But Android Pay is a nicer experience for sure.

Last edited:
Oh I meant as in Amex Contactless, which is only accepted by places that take Amex. Whereas Android Pay is normal contactless and accepted everywhere these days pretty much..

PRETTY sure that you're wrong unfortunately and it will only be places that accept amex.

this is based only on the fact we have a card reader machine, and we have gone through the process of accepting amex. there's additional checks we had to do first to make sure we're compliant, as well as additional costs and the way they bill us is also different. amex contactless to amex card i can't see the difference so likely they are considered the same and either both work or both dont

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm gonna buy something for tuppence using Andorid Pay at the corner shop that doesn't take Amex to test. Will report back!

Android Pay says after adding the card to just look for the normal contactless symbol, whereas if I enable Amex Pay in the Amex App, it says to make sure the retailer supports "Amex Contactless" specifically.

Edit*

So I was able to pay at a newsagent no problem. But wasn't able to pay at Lidl, even though lidl take Amex! Might be just their reader, although Barclays contactless mobile payment works fine.. Turns out Lidl only accept VISA debit/credit and Master Card with contactless mobile and physical payments.

I find it odd that a newsagent takes Amex, but Lidl doesn't.

Hohum!

Edit2*

Sod this, even Lidl don't take Amex. All my fresh fruit and veg shopping and brioche loafs are from there. I'm going back to Barclays contactless. it just works everywhere and will set the "if open app supports contactless" to use Android Pay instead.

Edit 3*

So realised I can use both payment systems without issue. Just have Barclays set as primary contactless and set Android to prioritise the open app if it supports contactless payments.

I then added Android Pay to Apps Edge which allows you to open any app from the lockscreen and it's pretty much as good as having android Pay as primary and I can use it wherever the card added to it is supported.

Last edited:
6P user here as well, the red screen caller doesn't bother me that much, but I've never seen a silent notification for unsaved numbers at all. Are you sure that's coming from the Google dialler? As @VortexA1 mentioned, you can hold the notification and it will tell you which app it's coming from.

UodejRG.png

this is the notification i get. imagine anything from 1 - 10 of these a day! it's coming from the dialer as i held it and it said turn off notifications for phone. can't do that i imagine as means i wont have any for missed numbers, incoming calls etc

Back
Top Bottom