New essential Android apps thread

Associate
Give tasker a go, I use mine to enable profiles based on wifi connection, so connect to work wifi, it puts phone into vibrate/silent, out and about I use a default profile which turns the ring volume up.

Soldato
I can do all that via Profiles on my OnePlus One. I was just interested in using NFC tags to activate my profiles. I nearly bought Tasker since it was on sale but I can't see much use for it.

I used to have my profiles activate on wifi but my home wifi kept dropping in the middle of the night, so the phone thought I was heading out of the house so would turn all sounds on and wake me up :p

Soldato
I flippin' hate mobile phones. I just spent 15 minutes thinking my gyroscope was broken because I couldn't use landscape mode before realising I had "Portrait" mode fixed in the drop down options. :rolleyes:

Now back on the PC where everything makes sense. Old git mode most definitely enabled. :p

Associate
I can do all that via Profiles on my OnePlus One. I was just interested in using NFC tags to activate my profiles. I nearly bought Tasker since it was on sale but I can't see much use for it.

I used to have my profiles activate on wifi but my home wifi kept dropping in the middle of the night, so the phone thought I was heading out of the house so would turn all sounds on and wake me up :p
Tasker can also do location based profiles, but to stop the phone going off during the night, androids quite hours work well

Soldato
Anyone else noticed the YouTube app offering HDR now in the quality settings?
ufmE1E4l.png.jpg

You might need a phone with a HDR screen for it to pop up, like the XZP/S8/G6.

... And I do not get smooth playback on my XZP any more, before HDR it could play 2160p 60 FPS with no issues, now even on 1440p it drops frames. 1080P is fine on the other hand.

Soldato
I've noticed the dropped frame rate, usually watching MKBHD it drops to just a couple every second! Even if I then choose 720p, I can't get out of this slide show mode it's dropped me into. Rather annoying tbh.

Soldato
Yes it's dropping frames on my s8 now. also noticed i no longer have the option to stretch HDR content to the screen. On the plus side viewing HDR now overrides the screen brightness, so no need to turn it it up manually. It does make menus blazingly bright however

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes it's dropping frames on my s8 now. also noticed i no longer have the option to stretch HDR content to the screen. On the plus side viewing HDR now overrides the screen brightness, so no need to turn it it up manually. It does make menus blazingly bright however

You're not stretching, you're cropping to fill the aspect ratio! Big difference that could confuse those who are unaware still!

Man of Honour
But not the phone book side? I've been trying to avoid installing it but I can't anymore as it fixes all that is wrong with Android phones....

Used it for years with my Nexus 5x so should really go back to it

Can you clarify? I don't really understand what you are trying to sort if it isn't the apps list you are trying to sort? What do you have against installing an app that makes your life easier? The app doesn't use any extra resources, there are only positives.

Soldato
Man of Honour
The button is still there but only for videos that are not HDR. This is a software bug but that needs Samsung to update things to detect the new YouTube server side support for HDR video I bet.

Local video players all have support to crop to fill the full screen however.

I have a folder full of HDR 4K demo videos which crop without stretching perfectly fine in the standard video player. Likewise in MX Player, but without HDR support of course.

Back
Top Bottom