New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
I need a free app that will turn on my hotspot when within the vicinity of a Bluetooth connection for my car.

Is there anything that fits the bill?

Trigger will do that for you. I've just looked through the options and it will allow a WiFi Portable Hotspot to be enabled when the phone connects to the cars Bluetooth.
It does however display a message stating that root access may be required but still allows the task to be set up all the same.

Soldato
How do you guys go about blocking ads on Youtube these days? I never really minded having a single ad at the start of a video I could skip but these days I'm finding that half the videos I watch have 3-4 ads in a 15 minute video which is ******* unbearable. I've got PiHole but it just doesn't seem to cut it with mobile Youtube and while I can use Firefox it doesn't run at full HD even with the Youtube HD extension.

Soldato
Both look good, thanks! How does logging in work on Vanced though? Looking at MicroG it looks like I have to uninstall all Google apps? Does this impact play store availability or purchases etc?

Man of Honour
How do you guys go about blocking ads on Youtube these days? I never really minded having a single ad at the start of a video I could skip but these days I'm finding that half the videos I watch have 3-4 ads in a 15 minute video which is ******* unbearable. I've got PiHole but it just doesn't seem to cut it with mobile Youtube and while I can use Firefox it doesn't run at full HD even with the Youtube HD extension.

I just use any of the regular ad blockers and use the browser to watch YouTube.

Soldato
Both look good, thanks! How does logging in work on Vanced though? Looking at MicroG it looks like I have to uninstall all Google apps? Does this impact play store availability or purchases etc?
No need for uninstalls. At the end of the day both Vanced/YouTube/NewPipe are just clients to a service. Just install MicroG and then Vanced and login via vanced as per usual. Vanced is just a modded YouTube client from the looks of things. All your account functionality is there because the UI etc is the same as before - just a few more toys in the settings section to play with i.e background play, pip etc.

Back
Top Bottom