New ford focus RS

Soldato
Looked at a few on autotrader over lunch, I love them :(

I should follow this up and say over Christmas leave I went to a Ford dealer and sat in one... The seats were... too....wide for me? As a result it was comfortable in the slightest :( My dad wanted to come along too, and he found it really comfortable. Conversely, the Fiesta ST, i found the seats perfect for me, he found them too narrow. So... Focus RS is off the list :( :( :( This makes me sad as they look so, so good. :(

Soldato
I should follow this up and say over Christmas leave I went to a Ford dealer and sat in one... The seats were... too....wide for me? As a result it was comfortable in the slightest :( My dad wanted to come along too, and he found it really comfortable. Conversely, the Fiesta ST, i found the seats perfect for me, he found them too narrow. So... Focus RS is off the list :( :( :( This makes me sad as they look so, so good. :(
You can choose to have the narrow recaro seats like the ones in the fiesta ST & focus ST for the RS as well...;)

Associate
Had the Mountune axle back exhaust fitted in the week, along with the FPM375 pack it has really changed the character and performance of the car.

It's never going to be a particularly tuneful car but it definetly sounds better than standard and isnt boomy or annoying on a cruise.

OcUK Staff
Another nice comparison to the Merc

https://youtu.be/u-bpP4tXflI

I think both are amazing, but I could not buy either.

A45 AMG though stunning inside in comparison and has the twin clutch gear box two things are majorly off-putting, the 40-50k price (that is like decent 911 or GTR territory) and they say it rides harsher and more crashy then the Focus, but then go on to say its more comfortable, WTF?

The Focus love the looks, love the ability, but man the seating position, it is just aweful just like a Focus and I thought the ride is too firm and the interior is just meh and though the manual is good, I'd rather a twin clutch setup.

Both amazing, but both with flaws, I think I'd just buy an 18 month old Golf R with DSG, practically as capable but without the bone shaking ride and across country just as capable on typical UK roads.

What the Focus wins hands down is looks, it grabs attention wherever it goes, whereas the Merc and Golf R are more understated and generally only get spotted by more petrol heads otherwise they just look like a regular A class or Golf, whereas the RS really stands out and though its a Focus it is a Focus on steroids. ;)

Think my money would go on Golf R or an EVO X if looking for such a vehicle but I think we can all say they are all bloody fantastic and so evenly matched. If the RS3 was not an understeering mess, it would be the winner for me due to the lovely noise it makes and Audi interior and fancy sequential indicators. :D

Soldato
The Focus love the looks, love the ability, but man the seating position, it is just aweful just like a Focus and I thought the ride is too firm and the interior is just meh and though the manual is good, I'd rather a twin clutch setup
I remember the very first time I drove my focus ST after driving my RX8 for 5 years and I remember the focus dashboard feeling really huge and very high..

But now I driven it for 6 months it just feels normal...

Soldato
Yes seat is high. On one of the forums a company is offering and producing a kit with new seat tracks and brackets to lower it. TBH the whole idea worries me, but then I'm a seating engineer, my questions and concerns got met with hostility... whatever.

I have found after a few minutes driving you don't notice the height, having done 6000 miles now it does become normal, guess it's all a knock on effect of the trend towards SUV's and higher positions in the standard car. Daily I drive the complete opposite, a Z4, jumping between them I've got quite use to it. Then on Sunday drove the wife's A3, couldn't decide if I wanted the seat up or down, was weird, just seemed a wrong strange height, I didn't have low legs out of the Z, nether did I have the commanding view of the RS, just shows you get use to something and it becomes "normal"

Soldato
Soldato
I think only the track slides are Recaro, rest will be locally made new brackets and plates etc... appears untested and uncertified... uninsureable ??
Had a factory tour a few weeks back around Saarlouis, the program manger came down from Koln to give us a presentation etc. Seems they are still struggling with parts supply from the suppliers, as they weren't building and finishing as many as they had capacity for when we were there.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I think only the track slides are Recaro, rest will be locally made new brackets and plates etc... appears untested and uncertified... uninsureable ??

Why would it be uninsurable? Do you think the seats and brackets in my Westfield are tested and certified?

Soldato
Have your tried asking them? If you modify a safety system I would think they should be told, then they will want some details and "approvals" or certification I would expect.
As I'm sure you know testing and certification varies due to volume produced and who built it etc. Perhaps a similar item to compare would be buying a child seat, you'd expect that tested and certified?

Associate
Another nice comparison to the Merc

https://youtu.be/u-bpP4tXflI

It is interesting review
I have owned a non FL A45 for two years and just picked up FL A45 in December
They have listened to owners and made changes that have improved the gearing and ride
I had the adaptive suspension and LSD which is extra
The ride is not bad now
The gearing +plus more power has changed the car
Yes it is more money but the performance and grip is amazing for a hatchback
I went for red but no aero but got the black 19s
I hopefully can make the next meet

Back
Top Bottom