*** NEW Fractal Design Case - Coming Soon ***

What's the advantage of switching them out? They quieter and shift more air? The fractal ones seem pretty good to me.

MAINLY cos the Xigmatek's look sweet, and secondly cos they move more air, although at a cost of being just 5dba louder than the Fractal counterparts, but this should be live-with-able once I replace my OS hdd with a ssd and my 8800gt with a better card + quieter aftermarket cooler.

fans.png

I'll check them out and post back on how I find them. If they're too loud I'll sell them on and invest in some Apache 120's + keep the 140 FD's.

Most of my system noise seems to be coming from the stupid hard drive now though. The longer I have my SSD bookmarked for purchase the more annoyed I'm getting at this damn HDD lol!

My case turned up today and have started to swap my bits over.

When I looked at the included fan controller it seems it needs a 2pin female connector to plug into it to provide power for the three fans it controls, is that supposed to come with the case? Can't find it anywhere, not sure what adapters there are around that go from sata > 2pin fan power :confused:

Ah thanks for confirming gee, unless I've lost it already, which isn't totally impossible as I've had my box of bits spread across for floor looking for something suitable, it hasn't been included. Not sure what would take longer looking at the state of my floor, searching through all my spare crap or waiting for a replacement ;)

OcUK still have them WatchTower

My fan controller was faulty, I contacted their UK importer that afternoon and had a replacement by the next morning. I can't link to them as they're a competitor but check fractal's website for more info.

Can't fault the service. :)

I managed to find the little bugger after an hour of tidying up, still, good to know the official distributor is willing to help out like that.

My rebuild was a bit of a pain as I'd forgot I had 2 "cool and silent" HDD enclosures which had a grand total of 16 screws each in them. Rest assured they are now in the scrap heap of forgotten dreams I call my loft.

Finally finished at midnight, tired but happy with the results, did have one minor moment of panic as windows failed to load but one of the sata power cables going to my primary HDD and been pushed out. The back of my case is a real mess and it was a bit of a struggle to get the right side of the case back on, bit of a 'sitting on suitcase' moment to close it.

Anyway, here are a few pics, camera noob so excuse the quality :)

P1000212.jpg

P1000215.jpg

Unfortunately the 4 pin mobo power cable wasn't long enough to go behind and get to the top left corner and too fat to go behind the mobo, was my only minor annoyance, not with the case of course, I always thought it was a bad place to put it, because it's half hidden underneath the cpu heatsink anyway.

P1000217.jpg

Not sure if the camera's flash stopped the case fans for a millisecond :confused:

2x 120mm Fractuals front intakes, 140mm Fractual exhaust at top middle, 2x 120mm Noctuals on heatsink and rear exhaust and 120mm noctual intake on the bottom. very happy with it. Temps of my cpu have dropped to about 40 after being around 47 - 48 in my old case. Might try and get my e8400 to 4 ghz now, had a bit of an easy life languishing at 3.6 :)

Last edited:
I think it has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread but if you have a 140mm fractual fan connected to the included fan control, and it's on it's lowest setting, you should check to see if it's spinning when you power up your PC. Sometimes it doesn't start up.

I think it has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread but if you have a 140mm fractual fan connected to the included fan control, and it's on it's lowest setting, you should check to see if it's spinning when you power up your PC. Sometimes it doesn't start up.

I'd agree - I've got 2 running off the controller and they didn't power up. Having said that, I don't think they're any louder running at 12V so I just leave them on full power. ;)

sorry to ask but im gonna ask as way to many pages to go thro!
is there a way to remove all those hdd bays? i like the R2 but dont want all those bays as im planning to make a server so wont need them all!

^ All of the white hard drive trays are individually removable. No screws or other fixtures, simply slide in and out.

i mean totally remove the whole cage that the trays slide in/out of.
maybe remove rivets and take out cage, unless that is structural and holding up the dvd drive bays.

if it is pos then i would put my hdd in the place on a dvd drive.

Back
Top Bottom