*** NEW Fractal Design Case - Coming Soon ***

I do want to check something with you guys though. I read somewhere that Fractal Design released a *2nd* revision which has a longer backplate hole and uses different bitumen which doesn't smell. I have obviously got the old version which is annoying as I think the second one came out in March time.

Could some of you with the R2 who bought since March check if yours looks like this at the back:

The thing to look for is the left hand ridge below the cut out plate connects directly to it, whereas there is a gap on the first version of the case.

It may be that the new version isn't shipping in the UK yet. Hard to find out much information on it.
I'm mainly interested in the new bitumen they are supposed to be using now though and whether it really is much better and less toxic smelling than the first version.

This is the R2 I got from OCUK last month. Its the new revision with the larger backplate hole. Still smells of bitumen but then my room is pretty small. Very weak smell though not really noticeable apart from the first time i enter my room.

DSCF0153.jpg

All the bitumen panels are coated in some kind of very thing plastic. Almost like those really thin plastic bags you get at the supermarket in the vegetable section. Dont know if this is the reason for the reduced smell or not. Glad this case isnt windowed though as the soundproofing is fugly!

DSCF0147.jpg

Last edited:
I made some adjustments to the cooling configuration in my slightly dated rig (E8400 with Corsair H50 on IP35 Pro XE with 8800GT, 4GB PC6400, Corsair 520W modular and 2TB Samsung F3 in a Fractal Design Define R2) in order to save it from melting in upcoming weather.

Previous cooling setup:
  • 1 x Apache black fan as exhaust on Corsair H50 on E8400 @ 3.6ghz
  • 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans exhaust at roof
  • 2 x Fractal Design 120mm fans intake at front
  • No floor fan
  • No side-panel fan

Adjusted cooling setup:

• 2 x Apache black fans as exhaust on Corsair H50 on E8400 @ 3.6ghz
  • 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans as exhaust at roof
  • 2 x Apache black 120mm fans as intake at front
  • No floor fan
  • 1 x Apache black 120mm fan as exhaust on side-panel

Idle temps on a warm day (24-25 C) before / after:
  • Mobo: 37 -> 32
  • CPU: 40/41 -> 34/35
  • GPU: 68 -> 60
  • GPU memory: 60 -> 52
  • GPU ambient: 51 -> 43
  • PSU: 48 -> 40
  • 1 HDD: 31 -> 27

That's an average system improvement of 7.6 degrees! :)

I'm looking to replace the 140mm fans with stronger exhausts and also adding one to the floor of the case for some sweet 'chilled' floor air, but need ones which are as silent as the FD's (which are pretty much inaudible) -- any recommendations?

I'm also looking to replace the graphics card as it seems to be the primary culprit for heat in this system/fan-heater, but not sure if there are any newer cards which generate less heat, perform better and are quieter?

Last edited:
...... An i7, 4 HDDs and 2x 5870s ..... played around with less HDDs & an SSD, H50 or Noctua, changing Fan orientations & numbers (2 intake at front, floor and side, exhaust at back & 2 at top) and even 3x 5870s at one stage, but it never quite did it for me!

Perhaps I was boiling the bitumen off!

Baha, that will do it. :p Watercool it all!

This is the R2 I got from OCUK last month. Its the new revision with the larger backplate hole. Still smells of bitumen but then my room is pretty small. Very weak smell though not really noticeable apart from the first time i enter my room.

All the bitumen panels are coated in some kind of very thing plastic. Almost like those really thin plastic bags you get at the supermarket in the vegetable section. Dont know if this is the reason for the reduced smell or not. Glad this case isnt windowed though as the soundproofing is fugly!

Thanks for the pics. Ah yeah the new revision! Wish I'd got mine considering I bought recently. It's been ok though as the only difference is the enlarged backplate hole and I won't be changing my CPU fan for a long time. ;)

Fractal Design told me that the plastic covering is there to reduce the smell of the bitumen.

Not sure I have that on mine though as it doesn't look like how you describe.

^ OH NOES /O/

Can't please everyone eh? Sorry Gee. :p

I'm getting the impression there is a colour scheme going on here... Shame my motherboard is multicoloured :(

Pretty much, the Formula III is primarily red and black, and amazing looking, (simply the best looking MB, as far as I'm concerned). And when you combine that with the red Ripjaws and red/black graphics card, it would have looked awful with the white bits everywhere.

Thank you for the kind comment. :cool:

wow, looks pretty mean in black/red.. i like that.
mine wer white but i took em all out to get better airflow from front fans, both my cpu and mb temps dropped a few degrees each after doing this :D , im still debating wether to cut out the cage they sat in.. might make the case less rigid if i do so not too sure yet

Last edited:
I made some adjustments to the cooling configuration in my slightly dated rig (E8400 with Corsair H50 on IP35 Pro XE with 8800GT, 4GB PC6400, Corsair 520W modular and 2TB Samsung F3 in a Fractal Design Define R2) in order to save it from melting in upcoming weather.

Previous cooling setup:
  • 1 x Apache black fan as exhaust on Corsair H50 on E8400 @ 3.6ghz
  • 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans exhaust at roof
  • 2 x Fractal Design 120mm fans intake at front
  • No floor fan
  • No side-panel fan

Adjusted cooling setup:

• 2 x Apache black fans as exhaust on Corsair H50 on E8400 @ 3.6ghz
  • 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans as exhaust at roof
  • 2 x Apache black 120mm fans as intake at front
  • No floor fan
  • 1 x Apache black 120mm fan as exhaust on side-panel

Idle temps on a warm day (24-25 C) before / after:
  • Mobo: 37 -> 32
  • CPU: 40/41 -> 34/35
  • GPU: 68 -> 60
  • GPU memory: 60 -> 52
  • GPU ambient: 51 -> 43
  • PSU: 48 -> 40
  • 1 HDD: 31 -> 27

That's an average system improvement of 7.6 degrees! :)

I'm looking to replace the 140mm fans with stronger exhausts and also adding one to the floor of the case for some sweet 'chilled' floor air, but need ones which are as silent as the FD's (which are pretty much inaudible) -- any recommendations?

I'm also looking to replace the graphics card as it seems to be the primary culprit for heat in this system/fan-heater, but not sure if there are any newer cards which generate less heat, perform better and are quieter?

maybe have the side blowing onto ur gfx?, it dropped my gfx idle by 8c, also i advise one of these to put over it if you decide to try http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CM-086-OK

Last edited:

Some nice cases but im still not sure the R3 design and the xl design due this fall will fit the 5970, still looks a tight squeeze.

It still amazes me when Case manufacturers release amazing cases and then they always forget getting the basics right, im sure many got an R2 and 5870 and scratched there heads... for 5970 owners even worser.

Anyhow lets hope R3/XL design is better and leaves a good few inches in front :)

I'm in the process on changing my two top fans and the side fan.

Can you guys suggest to me what's the best, biggest and quietest fan I can use for the two top fans and the side fan?

In fact what is the max size fan I can have as the top two fans and the side fan?

Oh one final thing, should the side fan be blowing inwards or outwards?

I'm in the process on changing my two top fans and the side fan.

Can you guys suggest to me what's the best, biggest and quietest fan I can use for the two top fans and the side fan?

In fact what is the max size fan I can have as the top two fans and the side fan?

Oh one final thing, should the side fan be blowing inwards or outwards?

Anyone available to help me? I've seen a 200mm coolermaster case fan on my travels and i'm not sure if this is OK or if it's too big for my side fan for my R2 case...

Anyone available to help me? I've seen a 200mm coolermaster case fan on my travels and i'm not sure if this is OK or if it's too big for my side fan for my R2 case...

The sidepanel will take a 140mm fan so if the 200mm fan you are talking about has fixing holes as per a 140mm fan (as a few do) then it will screw into the panel.

However. You only have about 80mm from the coverplate (140mmx140mm) to the rear of the case, and roughly the same to the bottom of the case.

The distance of the coverplate to the HDD rack looks a little shorter but should still be around 70mm.

Assuming that the 200mm fan is a standard depth it will probably fit, as you will need about an extra 30mm all around the 140mmx140mm covered by my coverplate.

Make sure that your CPU cooler, and GPU are not too close to the sidewall, as it might be too tight with a big CPU cooler.

Back
Top Bottom