New headset : Pimax Crystal

Crystal arrived unexpectedly today (was supposed to be this Friday), I’ve opened the box and got things charging but unfortunately I need to look after the kids for a bit before I can have a proper look.

Off the bat though pimax has been a little pimax. I received a service ticket the other day thanking me for my patience and giving me a $30 coupon, but informing me that due to production problems my unit is shipping with plastic lenses (what most of the beta testers got) and the glass lenses will be sent out separately… and that it is also missing the power hub which will be sent out separately.

On the other hand, it got sent with the more expensive fibre optic cable and from what I gather they may be considering changing out the second pair of higher ppd lenses for the more recently developed wide fov lenses instead… so not all bad.

Either way, it has arrived safe and sound… albeit not entirely complete. From the brief look I had in the AIO mode through the plastic lenses though everything is sharp and clear so as long as I get the glass replacements within a reasonable time frame I’m not overly bothered.

Looking forward to hearing about your first impressions with using it.

Well to throw out some real first impressions (these are literally the very first experience):

The good:

- Despite size and weight, the headset isn't at all uncomfortable. It does need to be secured fairly snug if you are going to be moving your head around due to the weight making it wobble otherwise, but it's well balanced and seems to put a very even pressure on my face/head even when snugged down.

- Connection was straight forward and the crystal was immediately recognised and I was very quickly set up.

- The audio is fantastic, the spitfire in MSFS has never sounded so good.

- Screen is very (!!) crisp and high resolution, mura is very minimal, colours and contrast are truly exceptional for an LCD.

The bad:

- Battery design is retarded. The clips to get it in and out (particularly out) are designed by someone that hates humanity and wants to watch the world burn.

- As mentioned mine shipped with temporary plastic lenses... they are a bit crap. I'm getting mild distortion as I move my head around, not bad but noticeable, and the clarity drops off towards the edges. The biggest issue though is the chromatic aberration - white text in particular looks poor from anything other than dead centre due to the fringing. I think this is largely a software issue (such as poor correction profile) as when I switch it manually to the glass lens profile the aberrations reduce significantly in the middle, but the distortion profile is different and not really usable. Clarity on these plastic lenses does however does drop off gradually from centre and then very rapidly at the very edge. I haven't seen anyone that received the glass lenses complain about this, so I think it is likely particular to the plastic lenses. Frustrating as the image is otherwise fan-blinking-tastic.

- Biggest issue which is basically rendering it unusable is that the headset keeps resetting every so often and obviously crashes out of VR as a result. I think this may be a USB issue which could perhaps be resolved by a powered USB hub (you know, the one that was supposed to be included but will now ship later). Unfortunately I don't have a powered hub that isn't strapped into my sim rig so may have to order one off amazon to try out.

As I said, raw and unfiltered impressions so far. I have yet to reach out to pimax about the connection dropping, so can't judge them too harshly yet.

If I can sort out the connection dropping, it will be a good headset. If the glass lenses sort the visual complaints it will be a fantastic headset.

Just to update the connection dropping - I’ve been told they have an upcoming firmware to improve the connection stability with the optical cable. I guess all the beta testers had the normal cable, the only one I know of that was flying on the old 8kX optical one was VRflightsimguy and pretty sure he’s got the hub.

Also the more I look at it the more I’m convinced the really bad CA is an incorrect correction profile for these plastic lenses. The CA is too perfect (certainly in the middle areas anyway) and I can see perfectly detached blue/green coloured shadows of white text in places that looks like an errant attempt at a correction profile.

I’m told by others that have received the glass lenses that it’s not evident for them. If I select the glass lens correction profile the CA dramatically improved in the middle (still crap outside of the middle) but I get too much distortion from the incorrect lens profile to run with it.

USB hub and/or the upcoming firmware update will hopefully sort the connection dropping. The glass lenses will hopefully sort the CA and edge clarity if other users (ie not reviewers) are to be believed.

If/when that happens for me, it’ll be incredibly good.

I will continue to update once I’ve got more impressions to give, but obviously due to the crashing out of VR I can’t really give it a proper go or fiddle with settings.

Just sitting in the spitfire cockpit at early sunset with the plane powered up and lights on the dash though… Wowzers. Audio of that big old engine was outstanding, shiny stuff actually looks shiny, textures and colours are so deep and detailed you might get lost in a daze, and the resolution is outstanding. The blades of grass outside the spitfire damn near cut my eyeballs!

Last edited:
When this was announced I very briefly thought about preordering. Then I remembered how full of **** Pimax are and how much they shaft and lie to their customers. Your posts above have proved my fears right.

I had a Pimax 5K and still have an 8KX and their business practices and outright lies have put me off.

My advice to everyone with an ounce of sense is to avoid this headset or any other direct from Pimax like the plague. If you insist on buying one wait until you can get direct from a reputable retailer with a decent refund policy.

Last edited:
Holy hell, that doesn't sound like a Beta product. More like an Alpha. Seriously considering cancelling my pre-order.

This was my exact experience with the 5K+ and 8KX. Both decent headsets in many ways but did not meet the promises that were made. You also had to jump through hoops to get the missing parts you were promised.

Though on other occasions their support surpassed themselves. Had a small cosmetic part fall off and they sent me a few replacements free of charge.

It’s their marketing and inconsistency that’s the big problem. People getting different spec headsets, different screens, lenses, missing parts with IOUs etc.

Mini update - powered USB hub has seemingly fixed the connection woes from a first look.. haven't had a reset since plugging it in via that. Almost like they should have shipped the hub that was meant to come with it to avoid such issues.

Lenses still suck.

Last edited:
I cancelled my preorder when I too remembered just how awful both my pimax headsets were.

I found the headsets perfectly good. The 8KX is still my primary VR and I have a VP2 boxed up unused. It was the pain of waiting a year after it was “released” before I finally got what I paid for. That was just for the HMD, it took a further 7 months to get the deluxe audio headset I had paid for as well. 19 months from preorder to delivery and every month we were told, “they are in production”.

That is why I decided not to bother with the Crystal. When it is actually available and out of alpha, I will reassess.

Despite wanting to in my heart i don't think i'm buying a crystal as it stands, imo there's just too many negatives for such a large outlay.
Edit: and 1/2 hour after making this post i get an email from Pimax inviting me to complete the payment for my pre-order so they can ship me a Crystal :(

Last edited:
Took these pictures to show the sort of artefacts I’m seeing in these plastic lenses for a support ticket… these start to appear in varying degrees outside maybe the central 20%, so 80% of my view has this sort of stuff to some extent.

Steve (VRflightsimguy) showed me a through the lens video of his glass lenses that doesn’t appear to have the same issue.

GP3SuyO.jpg

6o3XTb4.jpg

JolDO1n.jpg

Last edited:
Also to add after further testing I definitely have a focal length problem like the earlier roadshow variants.

Looking at the far distance in MSFS is blurry, until I close one eye and then it becomes clear and sharp as my eye can focus. As you look far away vergence accommodation would be making your eyes focus to infinity, but closing one eye stops it.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to learn they chucked in some ex roadshow lenses from the spare parts drawer.

On the plus side, after a few hours every other aspect of this headset is performing very well, performance is great, software has been reliable and quirk free etc so if the glass lenses fix my complaints I will be able to give this thing a very big thumbs up. At the moment I simply cannot recommend it.

Last edited:
Manufacturing difficulties, they made the decision to ship some out with plastic lenses and then send the glass lenses out later rather than have yet more delays.

Bad decision imo.

Apparently they are hoping to have some announcement about the glass lenses on Monday.

Last edited:
Hows the neck, forehead, cheeks and nose holding up @Zeeflyboy ?

It’s pretty comfy tbh… I’ve just changed the facial interface over to a soft PU leather one and that’s improved the comfort even more (and got rid of the light leakage through the glasses cut out).

The weight distribution makes the headset sit fairly well on the head, so you don’t get an excessive pressure on cheeks or nose.

The sheer inertia of the thing is my only complaint from a comfort strandpoint - absolutely fine for seated games, even in the motion rig (though I haven’t tried any super rough tracks yet), and if anything just feels like a fairly comfy helmet that you’d be wearing in reality too. Immershun.

When you are standing and moving around there’s no escaping that it’s a big heavy headset though. At this point I don’t think I’ll be getting rid of the pico 4 (especially with the big VD update coming soon)… when the new lenses arrive perhaps I’ll change my mind because the local dimming is pretty amazing for dark scenes like in Alyx.

I think ultimately once (if?!) this lens issue gets sorted it’ll be a cracking headset for sim use. It will however, in my opinion not age very well… the visuals and FoV (again assuming the others’ experiences with the glass lenses are correct) will still be great but the form factor will be laughable in the face of the new wave of micro oled headsets that will give similar or better visuals in tiny form factors over the next couple of years… so I think ultimately the Crystal will have a small window of relevance and the delays in getting it out haven’t helped in that regard.

Last edited:
Probably one of the very few, but I'm not sure about the tiny form factor. 90 plus percent of my VR usage is from a seated position, more importantly to my point sitting in the bucket seat racing cars. Something that became apparent when going back to using a big set of headphones with the pico after years of the off ear speakers, was the encompassing natural feel of being locked away. The proverbial speak of a VR headset feeling like a race helmet became complete again when donning the headphones. I fear losing that experience when it does become all tiny form factor with devices like the bigscreen, it's something I've come to cherish, as it really completes that race driver feel.

I get it though, not something particularly desirable if you're jumping around playing Pavlov.

Thanks for commenting on you're experiences with it, nothing too off-putting that would unlikely remain unresolved.

Last edited:
Probably one of the very few, but I'm not sure about the tiny form factor. 90 plus percent of my VR usage is from a seated position, more importantly to my point sitting in the bucket seat racing cars. Something that became apparent when going back to using a big set of headphones with the pico after years of the off ear speakers, was the encompassing natural feel of being locked away. The proverbial speak of a VR headset feeling like a race helmet became complete again when donning the headphones. I fear losing that experience when it does become all tiny form factor with devices like the bigscreen, it's something I've come to cherish, as it really completes that race driver feel.

I get it though, not something particularly desirable if you're jumping around playing Pavlov.

Thanks for commenting on you're experiences with it, nothing too off-putting that would unlikely remain resolved.

The audio on the crystal is fantastic… (caveat being that’s with the DMAS, which isn’t going to be standard fit for future orders afaik) no complaints at all on that front. As always though pimax are making things unnecessarily confusing with some headsets getting (temporary) plastic lenses, some getting fibre optic cable, some getting DMAS etc etc.

I totally get your point of view, I think all things being equal I’d take the smaller form factor but not at the cost of visuals/audio for sim use. As I said though it’s definitely not an issue for sim use, it’s pretty well balanced and comfortable and all these motorsports/fighter sims etc are arguably enhanced by the feel of a helmet.

I’m hesitant to post a proper overview until I’ve got the glass lenses, because obviously the visuals are such an important part of a VR headset and these lenses aren’t supposed to be part of the final product. I would hope anyone ordering now would get glass lenses when their product finally ships but other than trusting the word of others I can’t comment on how far they go to resolve the issues I have.

I can say pimax are replying to my support ticket even over the weekend right now, so that’s a positive. In theory they are planning an announcement asap about the issues.

Oh and FoV in case anyone has a pico 4 - very similar. Significantly bigger than G2, very comparable to Pico 4 (just from general impression, haven’t done A to B comparison yet).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom