New house - Wiring rooms - CAT5e vs CAT6 vs CAT7?

Associate
OP
Mine has been up there a couple of years now, server with several HDDs and a NAS with a few more HDDS. I have a small fan that runs on a timer during the day pointing at them to keep airflow moving, but never had any issues with temps being outside decent operational ranges.
Does it have any external ventilation?

Surely a fan only circulates the same warm air?

Soldato
Yeah, fair point. That's what I figured. May as well go whole hog I guess, although first I need to check there's power and data connectivity in the loft.

Someone above mentioned a "4 port", what's that?

I meant a 4 port faceplate to plug straight into rather than needing a switch under your TV stand and then in your other rooms I'd go with dual ports.

4P-CAT6WALL_250x250.jpg

Soldato
Well there is the normal eaves ventilation that roofs have, don't get me wrong it runs generally hotter than it would if it was in a normal room, but the silence/space aspect more than makes up for the few extra degrees of temp the kit runs at during summer (those 3 or 4 days or abnormal heat we get excepted), but the rest of the year the loft is either normalish or lower temps (its bloody cold in winter). It might not be ideal for everyone but it works for me.

Associate
OP
I meant a 4 port faceplate to plug straight into rather than needing a switch under your TV stand and then in your other rooms I'd go with dual ports.

4P-CAT6WALL_250x250.jpg

Ah okay I see. The router will be sat on the TV stand anyway with the TV hanging on the wall above. If the router and master socket are originating there, wouldn't the 4 port be better upstairs in the office? I'll speak to the contractor about that plate, looks super neat and tidy rather than a cable mess.

Soldato
You'll be needing more network switch ports than the router will provide.

You're going to need a add at least one network switch and decide where it/they will be located.

Once you know that you'll have a better idea of the required number of ports and their location.

Associate
OP
You'll be needing more network switch ports than the router will provide.

You're going to need a add at least one network switch and decide where it/they will be located.

Once you know that you'll have a better idea of the required number of ports and their location.

For the router I'm thinking I'll need 4 connections - Philips Hue Bridge, ethernet to upstairs office, ethernet to upstairs master bedroom, ethernet to bedroom too. You're right, it leaves very little expansion. I think a nice 4 port switch for the TV cabinet and an 8 port switch for the office would suit.

Soldato
Don't forget that when you add a switch you loose the use of the ports that link them together. If you add a four port switch to a four port router you only actually gain two ports.

Switches tend to start with five port models. The cost difference is so small that you may as well start with the eight port models.

Associate
OP
Don't forget that when you add a switch you loose the use of the ports that link them together. If you add a four port switch to a four port router you only actually gain two ports.

Switches tend to start with five port models. The cost difference is so small that you may as well start with the eight port models.

Haha, that's a pretty good point. I didn't consider that. Looks like the price difference on Amazon is £4, as you say, pretty much negligible.

Out of interest, why would someone go for a managed switch? Or a PoE switch?

Associate
OP
If you need to ask then you don't need one. They offer additional configuration and monitoring options.

To power PoE capable devices via their network cables. You can also use separate PoE injectors if that suits the situation better.
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up :D

Soldato
Im just starting doing this in my house, got a cheap 9U rack, 16 port switch, patch panel. Doing it all in Cat6 as i got 2 full boxes of the stuff from work.

Associate
OP
Im just starting doing this in my house, got a cheap 9U rack, 16 port switch, patch panel. Doing it all in Cat6 as i got 2 full boxes of the stuff from work.

Wow, lucky. I guess that's the next step up, getting my own rack. Perhaps I'll get my basic infrastructure set up first then in a few years get an even bigger setup as you describe!

Soldato
I think my decision to go for a 24 port switch was a bit overkill in hindsight - I'll likely want to upgrade to 10G before using more than 16 ports! 9U though...what will you be using it for? I got a 3U wall mount: 1U for patch panel, 1U for switch, 1U spare.

Associate
OP
I think my decision to go for a 24 port switch was a bit overkill in hindsight - I'll likely want to upgrade to 10G before using more than 16 ports! 9U though...what will you be using it for? I got a 3U wall mount: 1U for patch panel, 1U for switch, 1U spare.

Why are patch panels necessary?

Soldato
They aren't.

You run solid core cable in the walls, and both ends should be terminated with a network socket. If you're using Cat5e you could crimp plugs onto one, or both ends, instead (nasty!), if you're using Cat6 or above then you shouldn't.

If you only have a few cables then you can use wall mounted faceplates on both ends. If you have many cables coming back to a central location it makes more sense to use a patch panel.

Associate
OP
They aren't.

You run solid core cable in the walls, and both ends should be terminated with a network socket. If you're using Cat5e you could crimp plugs onto one, or both ends, instead (nasty!), if you're using Cat6 or above then you shouldn't.

If you only have a few cables then you can use wall mounted faceplates on both ends. If you have many cables coming back to a central location it makes more sense to use a patch panel.

Ah, okay. So solid core CAT6 through the walls terminating at a keystone in the wall at each side, CAT5e from keystone to switch, CAT5e to client devices?

Soldato
Why are patch panels necessary?
They're not but I'd definitely recommend one unless you're only running a couple of cables - even then, mounting a patch panel is easier IMO than mounting a faceplate. This is all assuming the equipment is out of sight though; if you're talking about an area where you don't want network equipment visible then a faceplate makes more sense.

A patch panel basically creates a partition between your in-wall infrastructure (solid core cabling, faceplates and patch panel) and your malleable equipment (patch cabling, switch, router, devices). You could bypass the patch panel and instead crimp RJ45 connectors straight onto your solid core cables, but solid core cabling isn't very malleable and isn't designed to be moved much, so you don't really want to be unplugging and plugging them in a lot. Another problem is your in-wall cabling has a fixed length. If you wanted to move your switch you're buggered. It's basically the same as asking "Why use faceplates? Why not just plug the solid core straight into my devices?"...not a great idea. Patch panels just make sense from a maintenance point of view.

Basic patch panels are cheap, I figure why give yourself a potential headache in the future when you can put up that partition and (hopefully) not have to touch anything beyond the patch panel again?

Associate
OP
They're not but I'd definitely recommend one unless you're only running a couple of cables - even then, mounting a patch panel is easier IMO than mounting a faceplate. This is all assuming the equipment is out of sight though; if you're talking about an area where you don't want network equipment visible then a faceplate makes more sense.

A patch panel basically creates a partition between your in-wall infrastructure (solid core cabling, faceplates and patch panel) and your malleable equipment (patch cabling, switch, router, devices). You could bypass the patch panel and instead crimp RJ45 connectors straight onto your solid core cables, but solid core cabling isn't very malleable and isn't designed to be moved much, so you don't really want to be unplugging and plugging them in a lot. Another problem is your in-wall cabling has a fixed length. If you wanted to move your switch you're buggered. It's basically the same as asking "Why use faceplates? Why not just plug the solid core straight into my devices?"...not a great idea. Patch panels just make sense from a maintenance point of view.

Basic patch panels are cheap, I figure why give yourself a potential headache in the future when you can put up that partition and (hopefully) not have to touch anything beyond the patch panel again?

Yeah okay, I see. Makes complete sense. In my case it's only running to three separate rooms upstairs, only one of which will have several devices present. I guess it'd be easier for me to keystone into the wall.

Why would you mix Cat6 and Cat5e? If you've decided on Cat6 use it for everything.

It seems like sound logic to use cheaper CAT5e for the 1-6m runs around the office room? I guess it's more malleable too?

Soldato
It seems like sound logic to use cheaper CAT5e for the 1-6m runs around the office room? I guess it's more malleable too?
The cost difference between a Cat5e and a Cat6 network cable isn't worth worrying about, especially when you're only going to need a few.

Cat5e cables will work just fine if that's what you'd prefer.

Don't get tempted to make your own cables, it just isn't worth it.

The network cables you use from the wall to the device should be made from stranded cable. A Cat5e network cable will be a bit thinner and more flexible, but won't be any more malleable.

Back
Top Bottom