** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Associate
Guy over at hardforum posting his initial impressions

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1608858&page=7

+Subjectively no input lag, will measure later with the SMT Tool agaisnt my CRT and C-PVA
-BLB on both edges of the panel, noticeable with lights on with blacks with the monitors default settings, which are extremely bright.
+Monitor comes set to "Custom," out of the box, is way to bright, colors are accurate next to a calibrated CRT and C-PVA but noticeably washed out
+the "Standard," preset has very good color accuracy and dims the brightness. Edge light bleeding still visible with lights on and all black screen with brightness set to 33 (default for standard mode).

I tried all 3 response time settings with Digital Versus Test, the Normal setting is on par with the Acer G245H, Faster has clear RTC errors, Fastest has slightly less. Fastest will probably be the best setting. The monitor appears to be on par with the Samsung S27A550H. There will be some light streaking+corona effect with console gaming (30-60fps).

Going to post my own review thread here which will link to WCGT where I will host my review with all the pretty pictures. Will provide measurements of all the color presets and calibrated results along with input lag tests and response time.

The left hand side of the monitor has about a 1.5" long strip of bleeding which is noticeable even with the lower brightness (many would consider this to be far to dark) of the "Standard," preset (most likely close to the calibration standard of 120cmd/2) with the lights on displaying a pure black image, even with the reflections! For 3D use with high brightness this will be very annoying.

Last edited:
Associate
Why is backlight bleeding still such an issue? my aging Dell 2407 is very good is this regard yet every new monitor I try, especally TN panels suffer with it quite badly. :(

Associate
Yes, he's making me more confident about my purchase every time he posts :D
The backlight bleeding is worrying but everything else is looking smashing so far.
Just waiting for the input lag tests :D

How bad is the backlight bleeding on yours, vega?

I'll remove this comment from the quote I made

While still very fast, the monitor is a failure in terms of responsiveness. The 60hz LG W2442PA and Samsung PX2370 are both faster, and if we look on Digital Versus we can see that other faster 60hz monitors exist.

as he posted an update

I was wrong, I had my other 2 monitors hooked up which forced the Samsung back to 60hz without me knowing some how. Also with my other monitors hooked up it launched 3D games on my CRT instead of the 950, despite being my main monitor lol.

In terms of 60hz performance the LG W2442PA and Samsung PX2370 are faster, but only by a tincy margin. In PixerPixAn @60hz the 950 is slightly behind the LG, but ahead of the S27A550H. In the Digital Versus test it is still 2nd place, tied with the 550H while the LG shows 0 ghosting. This is great for console gamers. @120hz the monitor is perfect with the Fastest setting. All the pictures can be seen in my written review.

Associate
I am having a blast with the monitor so far. Tried a few games and this thing is quick! Very low if any input lag that I can perceive, super fast pixel response time in conjunction with ultra smooth 120Hz and everything just "pops" with the luster of the ultra-clear panel. It also happens to look beautiful and "futuristic" on the desk.

Soldato
You Americans leave me seething with jealousy. ;) I have also been following the feedback of users such as NCX and Vega and it sounds as if responsiveness under the 'fastest' setting is top-notch. I'm just finishing off an EW2430 review at the moment (no spoilers but...... It seems to be quite the opposite of the SA950 as it is cheap and unresponsive but with next to no excess love from the backlight). As soon as I possibly can I will be reviewing one of the Samsungs. I would be quite interested in seeing if the bleed-through varies between units, between the two main series and as I suspect it might between the two sizes. Regardless of that it sounds as if there is plenty else going for the monitor. I will also be comparing the UltraClear panel to other matte and glossy surfaces for an ongoing article I'm doing at the moment. Interesting times.

P.S. This kind of reminds me why I dislike posting initial impressions and all that when I try out a new monitor. It's easy to get poisoned against a monitor due to a particular niggling aspect. But your opinion can change as you use it more - and perhaps discover the settings you were using or setup was suboptimal ;).

Last edited:

jkb

jkb

Associate
I am having a blast with the monitor so far. Tried a few games and this thing is quick! Very low if any input lag that I can perceive, super fast pixel response time in conjunction with ultra smooth 120Hz and everything just "pops" with the luster of the ultra-clear panel. It also happens to look beautiful and "futuristic" on the desk.

You are really making me want to click on the 'buy' button Vega :)

Soldato
Hi Vega, a few questions for u - how is the backlight bleed on ur model? are reflections a problem? Is picture quality at the relatively low 1080p resolution at 27" noticeably less precise?

Soldato
Is picture quality at the relatively low 1080p resolution at 27" noticeably less precise?

It depends what kind of monitors you're used to, viewing distance and personal preferences. No offense intended but this isn't really a fair question to lump upon Vega as there are too many variables at play and the actual monitor model itself has very little to do with it. You can find plenty of feedback on this elsewhere but at the end of the day it comes down to personal preferences. I for one don't like the 1920 x 1080 resolution on a 27" monitor but I wouldn't say I have a particular problem with it once I have 'adjusted'. On the desktop things do look a little larger than I would like but during gameplay and in movies you don't really suffer due to the loss of pixel pitch. You obviously have a bit to gain from a higher resolution such as WQHD but you are unlikely to feel hard done-by. Personally it is the colour shifts associated with such a large panel that I would find a little more bothersome but everyone is different.

Soldato
I currently use 1680x1050 on 20" Samsung so I'm used to it being quite sharp i suppose. I'm not really bothered about desktop use so it's just in gaming really whether or not pixels seem too big on a 27", for example characters in the distance being less detailed. Very subjective I know, but I used to have Eyefinity 5040x1050 so I want to try to experience that level of immersion and dont think i would get it from a 24" monitor (having played on my brothers 1080p 24" Benq 60Hz).

Associate
I hope OC come up trumps on Monday with delivery so I can pick it up. Been waiting for this for months. reviews look pretty good so far. I guess there will always be problems for some puritans! I'll post my thoughts hopefully Monday night

Associate
Just some thoughts on day two with the monitor.

Mine also does have some back light bleed on the sides. Although back light bleed has never really bothered me as I don't usually watch dark movies etc on my computer monitors. The back light bleed is virtually undetectable while viewing normal lit content on my particular sample. Not to mention every single LCD I've ever had/seen has had some degree of back light bleed. I also only use the monitor for smooth 2D so I will not comment on any 3D issues.

The reasons I like this monitor:

-Really quick pixel response time. This combined with 120Hz makes for a great gaming experience.
-Seemingly none to low input lag. (Sorry only subjective thoughts from a competitive FPS gamer very sensitive to input lag. I do not have the equipment to do a proper input lag test.)
-Ultra-clear panel really makes images "pop" and blacks look very deep (perceived and not measured) all while not being super reflective like traditional glossy screens (Ex: Apple 27").
-Unit is VERY stylish, real brushed aluminium and piano black finish on a super thin display. Looks very modern compared to most other LCD's these days. The competition looks virtually the same since LCD's were first released with simple cheap black rectangle plastic housings. Loving the asymmetric stand/design.
-Low power use/LED setup. The back of the display literally stays cool to the touch. Extremely little heat produced by the base where the electronics are housed. This is helped by having an external power brick only delivering 14 volts to the unit.
-The unit was actually made in Mexico. Very rare these days to have something like this not made in China. I like it when the rest of the world gets a crack at manufacturing products.
-High quality touch sensitive buttons for menu operation.
-Motion sensor and dynamic brightness sensing actually work and are useful.
-Color reproduction appears to be quite accurate.
-Up to 20 degrees of monitor tilt allows quite a liberal range of tilt. I currently use around 10 degree and I could not imagine a scenario in which you would want to tilt it back further than 20 degrees.

Cons:
-Some back light bleed around the edges.
-Price is a bit steep.

I would rate the monitor a 9 out of 10 as my number one priority is a good gaming experience. I would also give the HP ZR30w 30" I have compared it to also a 9/10 but I prefer the Samsung for gaming. The 120Hz smoothness is less fatiguing on my eyes.

Remember your priorities and mileage may vary with this monitor as I have focused on a great 2D gaming experience.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for those comments Vega, they are really useful in helping me decide on this monitor. I'm glad the back light bleed and reflective screen don't seem to be as bad in normal use as some of the initial speculation sugested. May I ask for your opinion on the viewing angles? I know the spec says 170°/160° but I was wondering if it holds the quality pretty well as you move from the centre, or if the drop off is a little rapid as you move side-to-side/up-down?

I'm just hoping now that some of the review websites will be able to get their hands on one of these so we can see some tested evaluation of how good the 3D aspect of this monitor is, and how it compairs to nvidia's solution.

Associate
Just a quickie..!

I pre-ordered the S27a950d ages ago and its still showing eta 27.06.11

Does that mean that i might get mine Monday or Tuesday? Or will i get an email from OCUK ?

Cheers

Associate
Video review from ncx - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnXzuiLLEgw

He's very distracted, concentrating too much on playing the games :D Should have maybe rerecorded the narration afterwards.
Couldn't help but notice that he's playing left 4 dead on pc with a control pad and vsync turned on which makes me question his ability to perceive input lag. Maybe he was just doing that for the video, who knows.
Anyway, all sounds good bar the backlight bleeding :D

Last edited:
Associate
Video review from ncx - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnXzuiLLEgw

He's very distracted, concentrating too much on playing the games :D Should have maybe rerecorded the narration afterwards.
Couldn't help but notice that he's playing left 4 dead on pc with a control pad and vsync turned on which makes me question his ability to perceive input lag. Maybe he was just doing that for the video, who knows.
Anyway, all sounds good bar the backlight bleeding :D

i think it sucks that on the eve of release in the UK there are no decent reviews,

but def a big thanks to those who have bought and posted there own reviews

would have liked to see how anative 3D blu ray reformed on this screen, so guess i will just have to wait, i cannot afford it till next thurs anyway lol so hope it gets some decent reviews by then, as far as backlight bleed gores, it looks minimal and cannot be any worse than my LG 55LW550t 3D telly, and anyone still thinking 3D is a gimmick! try watching avatar 3D, i did last night, it blow me away:D

Back
Top Bottom