** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Associate
Well, I actually bought a LG W2363D and had to send it back. It was a little too small for me personally, the backlight bleeding wasn't great

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14326828/backlight.jpg

The colours were washed out, the whole panel had bad uniformity and blue tint in the lower part of the screen

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14326828/white.jpg

The whole monitor was plasticy and badly made, the stand was naff and the screen wobbled about on the desk.
Changing input sources took forever, the buttons were unresponsive and you couldn't see them.
The 120hz was brilliant, and the "thru" mode was excellent. I was sceptical but it worked 100%, absolutely no input lag whatsoever.
So in my view, at least from the one I got which I admit may have been a bad egg, you get what you pay for with that monitor, cheap and cheerful, very good in some respects, bloody horrendous in others :D

I'm hoping this new samsung is going to be a lot better quality.

Associate
Well, I actually bought a LG W2363D and had to send it back. It was a little too small for me personally, the backlight bleeding wasn't great

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14326828/backlight.jpg

The colours were washed out, the whole panel had bad uniformity and blue tint in the lower part of the screen

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14326828/white.jpg

The whole monitor was plasticy and badly made, the stand was naff and the screen wobbled about on the desk.
Changing input sources took forever, the buttons were unresponsive and you couldn't see them.
The 120hz was brilliant, and the "thru" mode was excellent. I was sceptical but it worked 100%, absolutely no input lag whatsoever.
So in my view, at least from the one I got which I admit may have been a bad egg, you get what you pay for with that monitor, cheap and cheerful, very good in some respects, bloody horrendous in others :D

I'm hoping this new samsung is going to be a lot better quality.

You must have got a bad one I'm really happy with my LG , the colours for a TN panel are great and my performance in FPS games has definitely improved. I will admit thou the stand is a bit naff.

Associate
Yeah, think I definitely got a bad egg where the panel is concerned. If it had been better quality I certainly would have kept it, it was a little too small but I'm sure I would have gotten used to it.

Associate
The SA750 series can only output 120Hz through DisplayPort. It has been confirmed by Samsung on several occasions that the SA750 series will not feature any DVI ports. There was no real justification as to why this was the case but as I have speculated in the past it is a way to differentiate the two series in a way other than pure aesthetics and may 'force' some people to opt for the more expensive models. I know it's a bit of a strange decision but it isn't one I would have made.

The problem with that is I much prefer the look of the SA750 and I've been put off ATi due to issues my friends have had with several games, it's never simple is it!

Associate
I have no brand loyalty but have gone with ati for my last few cards just because at the time I was upgrading, they were always slightly ahead tech wise and cheaper too. I decided to go with nvidia this time round, just for a change and because they had the fastest single core gpu, and like you say, no displayport XD
Their drivers are far far better than ati's though, not had one issue at all since I got it.
Yep, I'd prefer the 750, no idea what samsung is up to, have they fallen out with nvidia or something? No nvidia 3d, displayport only.

Soldato
The problem with that is I much prefer the look of the SA750 and I've been put off ATi due to issues my friends have had with several games, it's never simple is it!

No. :( I completely understand your position as well. The GTX580 is a great card and I really don't think you should have to swap it for anything else at the moment because Samsung made a foolish decision with the SA750. I have voiced my displeasure via their PR team and they said that this was 'noted'. I also made sure they realised that not everyone likes the asymmetric stand design of the SA950 (for future reference) and it is a bit beyond many people's visual comfort zone.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't speak for every source, but the specifications were never 'leaked' - they were confirmed by Samsung themselves. A full published spec sheet would be nicer as that page you linked to is more of a placeholder than anything and is identical to the information given several weeks ago on Samsung Singapore et al.

Associate
The "issue" is the gtx 580 has no displayport socket, or at least the model I have doesn't, so you couldn't connect it to the 750 without an adapter.
Some versions of the 570 have displayport, check the back of of your gpu :D

Last edited:
Associate
I'm probably going to be getting the S27A750D but I want to make sure it is a better buy then the Acer HN274H first. Roll on the reviews! :D

Associate
There is a first look at SA850 prototype for the pixel junkies who want 1440p. I really really want 120hz glossy screen to prepare for Battlefield 3 experience and I think 750 or 950 would do just fine.

Associate
but 2560x1440 + IPS (for £100 less i might add) > 120hz

Consdiering the price of these screens in comparison the hazros these are lacking a feature or two to make them worth over £500 in my opinion

Had a hard think about what you said today mrbios, and I think you're spot on.

I'll wait closer till BF3 launch/Nov for a 2560x1440 120Hz screen.

Associate
Quick question please guys. For normal desktp use, photo editing, ps3 gaming and movie watching should i go for the 950 or dell u2711 , sorry if a stupid question but not particularly cluedmup n monitor tech. Dont knowif it will make a difference or not but i also have ver bad eye sight.

Cheers guys

Associate
Had a hard think about what you said today mrbios, and I think you're spot on.

I'll wait closer till BF3 launch/Nov for a 2560x1440 120Hz screen.

I highly highly doubt we will see a 2560x1440 120hz screen this year at ALL, definitely do not hold your breath, 2012 more likely, and even then ,its a push.

Soldato
I highly highly doubt we will see a 2560x1440 120hz screen this year at ALL, definitely do not hold your breath, 2012 more likely, and even then ,its a push.

But what we SHOULD see is a 120hz 27" that doesn't cost over £500. Again that was my point.

Personally i'd probably still be reluctant to pay over £400 for one, £250-300 for a standard, nothign special TN 27", so £100 extra for the privilage of 120hz sounds about right, anything extra is a rip off.

My honest opinion is that if anyone honestly spends £500+ on one of these they're just as nuts as the people who bought ATI6990s at release.

Associate
I am prepared to buy it, if the performance is there, and I am sensible with my purchases. I am currently on DELL 2707, its definitely showing its age and I think SA750 will fit the bill just right. P.S This monitor was around 620£ on release I think.

Associate
This appeals more to games and people who watch movies.

Any one who works with resolution, such as digital design or photographs... should not even consider this...

1920x1050 at 27" ?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL IS THAT SOME JOKE!!!!

I dont care if its 120mhz or 24000mhz, ... I can understand why it would satisfy gamers, But the dpi.. is pathetic.

I was actually looking foward to these.. thank god for hazro!... now lets just hope the monitors live up to their hype :( I have waited a long time for them to be delivered :(

Associate
omar1, due to the limitations of the bandwidth required these displays are 1980x1080. Since they are not aimed at designers or photographers, but at gamers and movie watchers as you say, it seems odd to slate them for doing what they can which is provide a greatly desired product for their target customers.

With regards to the price, £530 seems ok for such a premium product, and in my opinion a 27" 3D monitor with glasses included is a premium product. £600 seems a bit steep but hey, I'm interested in the S27A750D version. :D

Back
Top Bottom