** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Associate
You were looking forward to these monitors and you didn't know their resolution? You still don't by the looks of it :D
The mind boggles :S

Associate
omar1, due to the limitations of the bandwidth required these displays are 1980x1080. Since they are not aimed at designers or photographers, but at gamers and movie watchers as you say, it seems odd to slate them for doing what they can which is provide a greatly desired product for their target customers.

With regards to the price, £530 seems ok for such a premium product, and in my opinion a 27" 3D monitor with glasses included is a premium product. £600 seems a bit steep but hey, I'm interested in the S27A750D version. :D

Madness man :/ i dont even know... £600... i would want a very good resolution and colour production.

but i guess gamers would want, higher bandwith and erm.. dont really know what else

Would you gamers go out your way to pay £600.00 for a monitor that well just don't tick enough boxes ?

Soldato
Madness man :/ i dont even know... £600... i would want a very good resolution and colour production.

but i guess gamers would want, higher bandwith and erm.. dont really know what else

Would you gamers go out your way to pay £600.00 for a monitor that well just don't tick enough boxes ?

Is this the same Omar (smodd) that has posted on my website? Apologies if not - and greetings if so. :) I don't like repeating things that have already been said but I see you are new to these forums and will have missed the discussion.

Aside from bandwidth limitations, which would limit the market considerably as DisplayPort would be the only option (as mentioned above) - the price of the S27A950 if it had a WQHD resolution doesn't bare thinking about and is simply not viable in the current market. Samsung are likely pushing the boundaries a little and the price will place many people out of their comfort zone for what is essentially a Full HD TN panel monitor - they really can't go further on that one. Furthermore there is only a small minority of people with systems capable of sustaining a good framerate of over 100fps (to get real benefit from the 120Hz refresh rate when gaming) at a WQHD resolution without making things look like a high-res N64 game.

Soldato
The "issue" is the gtx 580 has no displayport socket, or at least the model I have doesn't, so you couldn't connect it to the 750 without an adapter.
Some versions of the 570 have displayport, check the back of of your gpu :D

Dammit, 2 DVI and one HDMI :mad: Why would they do this?! Is it an expensive adapter?

Soldato
As far as I'm aware you can only get a DisplayPort to DVI dual link adaptor (and they are generally £75+) but it doesn't work the other way around to connect to a monitor's DisplayPort.

Associate
The price is so unrealistic on these ....

I assume they're just a first wave to create a halo-effect. There's no way Samsung are going to sell more than a handful at these prices.

Aside from low resolution and high price, I'm also very dubious of their semi-gloss finish .... most are horrible and cause little less eyestrain than full-gloss.

Soldato
The real benefit in this case is increased bandwidth. HDMI 1.4a is unable to deliver sufficient bandwidth to support 1920 x 1080 at 120Hz whereas DVI dual link can do this. So can DisplayPort. In the case of the SA750 series models DisplayPort is the only option if you're interested in the full 120Hz PC gaming experience owing to the lack of DVI.

Ok, So with the SA750, i can use the HDMI with my PS3 in 3D (like Killzone3 & GT5). And the Display port with my Nvidia 580GTX on my PC and i can play all my PC games in 3D using Nvidia drivers?

EDIT - HDMI as well, i guess then that all 3 will be going through my HDMI switch

So it's the 950 or nothing, and i hate the 950 looks

Last edited:
Soldato
From reading above it seems the only way to output 120Hz at 1080p is to use Dual Link DVI or DisplayPort. HDMI just doesnt cut it!

As far as I'm aware you can only get a DisplayPort to DVI dual link adaptor (and they are generally £75+) but it doesn't work the other way around to connect to a monitor's DisplayPort.

EDIT: Looking through OCUK's inventory it seems the only GTX 570 or 580 that sports a DisplayPort Output is the MSI Lightning editions :(

Last edited:
Permabanned
Got the email from Samsung.

The 750D would seem to also support the 2D to 3D converting technology. :)

The 950D does indeed have dual link DVI and the very flash stand/bezel and is the reason for its extra cost over the 750D.

I really dislike the stand on the 950, so the 750 would be a better option.

Soldato
I really dislike the stand on the 950, so the 750 would be a better option.

That seems to be a widely shared feeling. The asymetric design just doesn't seem to appeal to many - I have done a quick survey at my work and of family of friends. From over 60 responses and a broad cross-section of different people there is a resounding preference for the SA750 design. I just wish Samsung had put a DVI port on it and I hope, at least, that DisplayPort makes its way to all of Nvidia's upcoming mid-range+ GPUs. Even if that is scant consolation to existing Nvidia GPU owners.

Associate
You'd have to check the spec sheets elsewhere than the product listing @ OCUK.

Gainward 3GB 580 GTX phantom has 2x dvi, 1 mini hdmi, 1 displayport, for example but the OCUK listing of the card doesn't mention displayport.

Permabanned
My 5970 has a mini displayport so this makes it ok for 120hz gaming on the sa750 and as Gibbo stated it also supports the 2d to 3d converting, so that would be win a win as i like the stand on the sa750 and the price is cheaper :D

I'd like to see a review.

Associate
Oh, I wouldn't say that. I think you'd be surprised by how many pc gamers just see 3d gaming as a flash in the pan novelty gimmick.
I think these monitors will do well regardless.

Back
Top Bottom