** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Associate
As i dont have a 750 or 950 monitor i cant speak for those, but the Samsung ps50c770 3dtv has a tendancy to place objects at the wrong depth, this confuses the hell out of your brain.
Objects that are supposed to be behind the screen can be infront of it , half the game menu can be 3d and the other half not. 2d->3d conversion is realy only usefull for photos, or slow paced games.

Native 3d in the game or with tridef/iz3d/3dvision is on a completley different scale.
Motorstorm Apocalypse on the PS3 is one of the games everyone should have tested atleast once in 3D.

Last edited:

jkb

jkb

Associate
I dont know how many times iv said this on different forums, but 2d->3d conversion isnt even an alternative to real 3d rendering. Its like having a color-blind human color a black and white picture. Except he's been color-blind all his life.

After playing Blur with 2d-3d conversion on my Samsyng ps50c770 for 2 races (~10 minutes of gametime) i wanted to gouge my eyes out and had to go grab something for my headache.

I didn't buy my 950 for the 3D, I just wanted a 120Hz 27" monitor. I tried the 2D-3D conversion and wasn't very impressed, it was OK but nothing to make me want to use it regularly. Eventually I loaded up the tridef profile for the witcher and gave it a go. It looks amazing, the effect is very realistic. I haven't seen any 3D before this but I can now see why my kids want a 3D tv!!

Associate
Ordered a 950D yesterday when the price dropped back to £599.99 in view of new stock.

Now I just need the 7000 series to be released as my 5850 isn't exactly brilliant at givnig 120FPS with effects turned on.

Soldato
I have to say the base on those first two monitors is horrendous! :(

Interestingly enough more people have expressed their dislike of the 950 series base (due largely to the asymetric stand). The massive footprint has also been highlighted as an issue because it eats up a lot of desk space. I think that monitors like these always look better in the flesh - I didn't like the '950' series style on the pictures but actually seeing it first hand was different. I haven't seen the '750' in real life yet but I think the whole tin can base look wouldn't come across the same way in reality. It's mainly because you don't view them from the same kind of angles those pictures are taken at.

Associate
Interestingly enough more people have expressed their dislike of the 950 series base (due largely to the asymetric stand). The massive footprint has also been highlighted as an issue because it eats up a lot of desk space. I think that monitors like these always look better in the flesh - I didn't like the '950' series style on the pictures but actually seeing it first hand was different. I haven't seen the '750' in real life yet but I think the whole tin can base look wouldn't come across the same way in reality. It's mainly because you don't view them from the same kind of angles those pictures are taken at.

Enjoyed your review of the T27A950 by the way, very nice stuff.

Soldato
Glad to hear you liked the review - thanks for the nice feedback!

I plan on reviewing the S27A950D (or perhaps S23A950D) in the not too distant future as well so can focus on the responsiveness aspects, possible differences in screen coating and colour reproduction etc.

Rec

Rec

Associate
Does anyone know if the 23" version of the 950D will be sold in the UK? It doesn't seem to be available from any retailers, only the 23" and 27" 750D and the 27" 950D are.

Associate
Coupled with 5% discount and free delivery I am really thinking about getting the 27" 950d from my current viewsonic vx2268 22" 120hz. Are there anymore monitors on the horizing that would be better such as IPS panels or just pretty much exactly the same just re-branded?

Associate
Does anyone know if the 23" version of the 950D will be sold in the UK? It doesn't seem to be available from any retailers, only the 23" and 27" 750D and the 27" 950D are.

I'm also interested in this, as apparently the 750D doesn't have 2d-to-3d ability, which some reviews claim is actually very effective.

Associate
Ouch, you UK guys are getting quite ripped off on the prices, weird :S For the S27A950d, £550 ($871 AUD) vs $599 AUD.

Also seems that the Americans have got the 750 series in stock now on Newegg, might mean some reviews will pop up soon.

Associate
I think the price of the 950 was probably quite inflated due to it coming first compared to the 750 since the spec is pretty much the same. Electronic goods also cost more in the UK too so you can expect to see some disparity, the 20% VAT doesn't help either. ;)

Soldato
I'm also interested in this, as apparently the 750D doesn't have 2d-to-3d ability, which some reviews claim is actually very effective.

The SA750D does have 2D-3D conversion. It is part of the HR3D engine which is identical on all members of the SA series. I think it could have been CNET who erroneously stated otherwise - but this was back in January when information was sketchy. And it works much better on some things than others and has a generally very weak depth effect - but is generally very smooth.

Associate
Can somebody explain the differences between the 950 and the 750 apart from the design please.i was waiting for the 750 but now because of the price drop on thre 950 i may order one.

Last edited:

Rec

Rec

Associate
Can somebody explain the differences between the 950 and the 750 apart from the design please.i was waiting for the 750 but now because of the price drop on thre 950 i may order one.

I believe the only difference between them is the 950D has a Dual link DVI port a HDMI and a DisplayPort where as the 750D just has the HDMI and DisplayPort.

So you must have a Displayport on your graphics card if you want to take advantage of the 120Hz on the 750D as I think the HDMI is locked at 60Hz.

Back
Top Bottom