** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
@Lagahan and @josh1quattro , for fps vs refresh rate experimentation try this:

https://github.com/Nixola/VRRTest

For me the refresh rate in the OSD information matches precisely when above 60fps, but below 60 fps it jumps up and down manically. I read (link below) that when below 60 fps with V-Sync on it should go for a multiple of the fps so 45fps should be displayed at 90hz - not sure why that's not happening. VRRTest looks terrible <60.

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Update: Nope, no Set up G-Sync menu option. I think its because the screen is G-Sync Compatible and has no G-Sync Module. This mode requires a 10-Series GPU or higher, so my 970 can't enable it.

Ah, sorry I didn't know that, thanks for the update.

Associate
Decided to use my monitor today after fixing the flicker with a downgrade on the firmware. Bloody flicker is back! Monitor is not tracking the FPS of games any more with gsync on. I despair I really do.

Associate
I can only believe my n8 is faulty if none of you guys are getting the pulsing brightness with hdr on and Gsync activated. Gonna phone tomorrow and return it. Even with hdr turned off whilst there’s no flicker the monitor hz doesn’t follow the FPS of the game as it should - it’s just that you wouldn’t notice. You can check this on the monitor info panel.

if any of you could check your FPS matches your monitor hz with or without hdr on I’d appreciate it. Mine fluctuates wildly.

Last edited:
Associate
So 2 weeks later and admittedly I only use it for 3 hours every three days or so but I dont have any dead pixels or light bleed or popping. I have an N5. Am I just not using it enough to see any issues? Bit concerned as there appear to be a lot of problems being reported on here.

Josh

Associate
Don't want to speak too soon but I may have fixed it by changing the variable refresh range to 60-240 (which it should have been in the first place) with CRU. Fingers crossed.

Associate
So 2 weeks later and admittedly I only use it for 3 hours every three days or so but I dont have any dead pixels or light bleed or popping. I have an N5. Am I just not using it enough to see any issues? Bit concerned as there appear to be a lot of problems being reported on here.

Josh
Well I’m convinced people aren’t noticing that gsync is not working properly. Only way to tell is by ensuring monitor hz closely follows FPS on game. I don’t notice till recently. It could be software issues but I’m not sure I wanna risk all the hassle.

Associate
Well I’m convinced people aren’t noticing that gsync is not working properly. Only way to tell is by ensuring monitor hz closely follows FPS on game. I don’t notice till recently. It could be software issues but I’m not sure I wanna risk all the hassle.
Thanks. The only game I play is MSFS2020. That’s it. All other games are either x box or occulus.
Josh

Associate
Thx for sharing

Yes, I see the brightness ups and downs. This is pretty annoying (worst than I imagined).

And you say that the first one (almost) didn’t have this problem?
The June G9 that I got on that loading screen flickered very minorly once in a blue moon, but the new August G9 that I got flickers like crazy sometimes on that loading screen, other times, not so much. That video that I uploaded had a below average amount of flicker.

Ok, so I just upgraded to Nvidia driver version 456.71 and I'm sad to say that the flicker is now even worse - not by quantity but by type. Whereas on 452 it flickered via a fast fade to black, it's now flickering at about the same rate via a fast fade to white which is more jarring on the eyes. This is really odd, because it's like it's changed the behaviour of the hardware driving the panel. If the hardware has a tendancy to fade to black, I wouldn't have thought the driver should have affected that - but clearly I'm wrong.

I'm wondering if there is just something wrong with the adaptive sync hardware on this panel. I've notified OC of my intent to return it (due to the dead pixels) and they have raised an RMA - I said that I'd contact them later in the week to arrange a date for DPD pickup. I'm hoping that OC will get some more in soon.

By the way, for anyone wondering, the loading screen is running at a flat 75Hz, so it is within the working range of adaptive sync.

Edit: I just want to point out that I have only experienced flicker on this loading screen, in game so far has been fine, but my worry is that if it flickers on that loading screen, then perhaps there are certain in game scenario's where it could flicker too - not that I've found any yet. This monitor is fantastic, which is why I'm willing to make another attempt at getting a good panel when OC get some more stock.

Associate
To the people that are receiving these at the minute, did you pre-order some time ago ? Buying one of these next month and OcUk currently has the monitor as just out of stock - no date or anything. For the last week or two they've been showing pre-order with a date in early november, but now there's nothing. It appears most other websites don't have stock either. Probably explains why some have commented about receiving older models that are no doubt just being sent out with issues, being returned and then sent on to somebody else.

OCUK had 10+ in stock when I ordered last Friday, prior to this I'd seen pre order here as 12th then 15th Oct.

Maybe worth dropping customer service a note?

Caporegime
OCUK had 10+ in stock when I ordered last Friday, prior to this I'd seen pre order here as 12th then 15th Oct.

Maybe worth dropping customer service a note?

I'm not buying this month so not going to waste anybody's time. No point in enquiring about the current situation as this won't be the same when I come to buy on November pay day. Hopefully they have some back in stock by then.

Associate
newest nvidia driver is 456.98. It`s on nvidia website not yet on Geforce experience app ( as of yesterday anyway). Is the first driver I`ve used due just
recieving my g9. I can run at 240hz with my 3080 which I understand was an
issue previously.

Last edited:
Associate
@josh1quattro So the minimum freesync range on this is 70Hz when running at 240Hz?
Does it only flicker as it enters / exits LFC or the entire time that its in LFC?
How well does it handle stuff thats capped at 60FPS then when running at a desktop refresh of 240Hz? An example would be the PS3 emulator RPCS3 which supports g-sync in windowed mode but obviously mostly caps at 30fps or 60fps depending on game.
If I picked one of these up id rather set and forget at 240Hz than having to change it based on games with a fps cap below the minimum range.

Worth noting that my 2 non primary, non HDR gsync screens flicker anyway when the main monitor is in G-Sync, probably a windows DWM issue.

Im not 100% sure if 70hz is the stock point for LFC as i played around with CRU when I first got it, but thats where mine switches LFC on, also I dont know if I'd count 70hz as minimum freesync range as its still tracking the fps, just with doubled HZ below that so... And its not a flicker as such, its like the gamma changes slightly when LFC turns on and off, so its only as you go across that threshold of LFC kicking in, if that makes sense? At least on my monitor. And obviously any stutters during game loads technically drop FPS so the monitor changes, which is why it looks like a flicker as its constantly switching. Other than that ive had no issues, either above or below that point, it still looks as smooth as to be expected at 60fps (so 120Hz with LFC) and I personally don't get any flicker or other abnormalities.

(Keep in mind im basing this all purely off my own experience and what ive tested on my G7 etc, I'm no expert at how LFC works or anything, so other people testing this theory would be great)

Edit: Just checked in CRU and ive got mine set to freesync down to 40hz... but LFC still kicks in at 70 and its still following FPS down to 35 fps (doubled Hz so 70). So no idea what that means... but yeah. Maybe 20 fps is now my lowest gsync point lol.

Last edited:
Associate
@Lagahan and @josh1quattro , for fps vs refresh rate experimentation try this:

https://github.com/Nixola/VRRTest

For me the refresh rate in the OSD information matches precisely when above 60fps, but below 60 fps it jumps up and down manically. I read (link below) that when below 60 fps with V-Sync on it should go for a multiple of the fps so 45fps should be displayed at 90hz - not sure why that's not happening. VRRTest looks terrible <60.

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Ah, sorry I didn't know that, thanks for the update.

Just tried that test and mine works perfectly the whole time, vsync on or off doesnt seem to affect it. And im not sure having Vsync on will affect LFC kicking in (which is as you mentioned, where the hz gets double fps) as thats more just a feature of Gsync / the monitor as far as I know? My LFC always kicks in regardless of Vsync as long as I'm actually using adaptive sync. Either way I tried it both ways and mine held its hz - fps ratio perfectly both way above and below 70 hz. I went right down to 45 and it was behaving smoothly. Are you on a G9 or a G7?

Worth noting as well that the single flicker I get crossing the LFC point is barely noticeable in that test too, most likely down to the greyscale appearance of the actual test.

Associate
Mines a g9. Flicker is not crossing out of the gsync boundary I believe. I’ll try that vrrtest and see what that shows. Though I have already tried the nvidia pendulum demo and that showed the hz of the monitor wildly fluctuating (plus or minus 20hz) even when I fixed the FPS to say 100 in the demo settings.

I should add that I did once see gsync work but it’s almost like some freak combination of resetting the pc, toggling gsync, downgrading firmware etc just made it happen. Haven’t seen it work since even though I’ve tried everything.

Associate
To the people that are receiving these at the minute, did you pre-order some time ago ? Buying one of these next month and OcUk currently has the monitor as just out of stock - no date or anything. For the last week or two they've been showing pre-order with a date in early november, but now there's nothing. It appears most other websites don't have stock either. Probably explains why some have commented about receiving older models that are no doubt just being sent out with issues, being returned and then sent on to somebody else.

I saw there was stock due in a week last Monday and placed the order the Sunday. It then got pushed out to the Wednesday, but arrived at OCUK, dispatched and I had it by last Friday. So, no - I don't think theres a massive backlog of orders.

Also - on the popping/clicking noises front... I had a serious issue with this on the old CJ89 models and it definitely sounded loud, electrical and scary. On the G9 I've noticed a super quiet plasticky sounding click, obviously this is subjective but I believe this is just the materials adjusting to temperature as you turn it on or change the brightness levels. Theres no excessive heat and I'm not considering it an issue. It's barely noticeable, you have to really listen closely and I think it stops after the temperatures level out. If you adjust the monitor on the stand you get a lot of the same sounding plasticky crackles as the materials flex, IMHO this is very normal and not an issue unless it sounds electrical, you smell burning and it's fairly loud - like a finger snap at least!

Back
Top Bottom