** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Soldato
Ok I havent bought this monitor, but the 40” LG UW. I come to you guys for some advice about wall mounting large chonky monitors. What are you using to do so? I have found the ergotron hx but can’t find anywhere to buy it (reputable that is). What are you using?

Just buy the amazon basics version it is basically the ergotron with amazon branding and cost less.

Associate
So I have both a g9 non-neo and the new asus 42 oled. The ASU’s blows it away for picture quality but they are really a very different proposition overall imo. The wider g9 is better for sim racing/flying with its wide format and 240hz. But the ASUS is better for everything else including productivity/development. I’m a developer and use the asus full time.

Associate
I have been very happy with my G9 Neo. I'm playing my first game that does not have a 32:9 option it it seems weird to have a 16:9 box in the middle of the screen. In my last setup I had a main 29 inch monitor and for productivity reasons a secondary 24 inch monitor next to it. So when I saw the G9 32:9 option it ticked the box as a better replacement. I had no idea that gaming would be better in ultrawide but it definitely is.

Associate
So I have both a g9 non-neo and the new asus 42 oled. The ASU’s blows it away for picture quality but they are really a very different proposition overall imo. The wider g9 is better for sim racing/flying with its wide format and 240hz. But the ASUS is better for everything else including productivity/development. I’m a developer and use the asus full time.
Thanks, I do work from home also mainly with spreadsheets, emails etc open. It is a difficult decision to make at the moment I think as each have great benefits for both work and play.

Associate
How is everyone getting on with their G9/Neo? I'm torn between a neo g9 or a 42 oled Asus monitor, leaning more towards the neo g9 as I do like to play Euro Truck, racing games and msfs.
I bought the G9 non-neo a while back and I have no regrets. Using it more for work than play now, but I still appreciate the decent contrast, HDR and high refresh rate when I do game.
No doubt OLED is a better technology but the G9 is a very good monitor IMO.

Soldato
Looking at the G8 Neo, the MiniLED.. Anybody had experience with it?

Got one recently after using it at a friends place, First 1 he had did have the scanlines issue, 2nd did not, Mine has no scanlines, No issues of any kind, Solid monitor, HDR on this is the actual real thing not the fake crap.

Blacks are actually as near to black as you can get without being OLED, 0.0020 of a nit, So if you play games with a lot of shadows, Space games etc... this thing is amazing. Neon type lights actually glow like they should and everything looks a hell of a lot more vibrant.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the launch reviews as it seems Samsung did have issues at first which have since been ironed out, Highly recommended if you want a big step up in visual quality.

Last edited:
Associate
Got one recently after using it at a friends place, First 1 he had did have the scanlines issue, 2nd did not, Mine has no scanlines, No issues of any kind, Solid monitor, HDR on this is the actual real thing not the fake crap.

Blacks are actually as near to black as you can get without being OLED, 0.0020 of a nit, So if you play games with a lot of shadows, Space games etc... this thing is amazing. Neon type lights actually glow like they should and everything looks a lot more vibrant.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the launch reviews as it seems Samsung did have issues at first which have since been ironed out, Highly recommended if you want a big step up in visual quality.

I ended up opting for the Alienware QD-OLED but thanks for the response.

Associate
I have a question about the G9 (5120x1440, really).
When looking at performance reviews everything is for 1080/1440/2160 cos thats 95% of the market. How am i supposed to interpret these results to get a meaningful understanding of what performance i'd see? Should i be considering myself a 4K user, as its about 85% of the way there (in pixel count), or do i need to go somewhere in between QHD & 4K and draw my own conclusion?

Soldato
I have a question about the G9 (5120x1440, really).
When looking at performance reviews everything is for 1080/1440/2160 cos thats 95% of the market. How am i supposed to interpret these results to get a meaningful understanding of what performance i'd see? Should i be considering myself a 4K user, as its about 85% of the way there (in pixel count), or do i need to go somewhere in between QHD & 4K and draw my own conclusion?
I doubt you will be able to find performance result specifically for that resolution. Like you have already thought about, it's probably best to just use 4K performance result as reference, and add roughly additional conservative 8-10% frame rate for an estimate performance for that res.

Soldato
Bumping thread for the original G9 owners. Has anyone updated to the latest firmware? A new one is listed now as having just came out on August 7th 2023 the other day version 1019.0.
I notice the one listed as before that is April 5th 2022 version 1016. Do the new firmwares improve anything or make fixes? I can't see any release notes anywhere.
Personally I've never changed from the one it shipped with which is version 1010.2. The old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.... not sure whether to bother. Mine has been perfect and all fine for 2 years now but....

I want to start looking at HDR. This will sound silly but I've always left it off in Windows and it's not even set to on on the monitor.
Do I need both set to on for it to work? When I turn it on in Windows, the display goes grainy and much darker and looks bad. The games I play look awesome but I assume HDR would not have been on as I never set it in Windows or on the Monitor.

Associate
@Oblivion how is yours holding up and what do you think about my above post?
@jaybee updating the firmware might be a good idea as they fix bugs and known issues etc. True though if you are happy and haven't noticed any then maybe just leave it on the version you have now. I've been updating when ever i see a new one in the hope they improve things like scan lines and how the screen performs in games etc. Which i think they have.

I updated to 1019.0 a few days ago, as soon as I spotted it had come out... Everything is fine with the new firmware, only thing is it wiped my settings after the update (colour and brightness etc). Have totally forgotten what mine were set to... Does anyone have a good set of settings they can share?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,
I have G7 27"" running on firmware 1006.0
I have really only issue with it - does not autosense inputs and need to manually switch from DP1 to DP2 - is there any point in upgrading firmware just in hope it will get better??

Soldato
@jaybee updating the firmware might be a good idea as they fix bugs and known issues etc. True though if you are happy and haven't noticed any then maybe just leave it on the version you have now. I've been updating when ever i see a new one in the hope they improve things like scan lines and how the screen performs in games etc. Which i think they have.

I updated to 1019.0 a few days ago, as soon as I spotted it had come out... Everything is fine with the new firmware, only thing is it wiped my settings after the update (colour and brightness etc). Have totally forgotten what mine were set to... Does anyone have a good set of settings they can share?
Thanks I might give it a try. These scan lines... I'm not sure I should ask this as once I see something I might not be able to unsee it but...what does this look like? I've never seen anything like this, which I'm hoping means I don't have the issue!

Hi,
I have G7 27"" running on firmware 1006.0
I have really only issue with it - does not autosense inputs and need to manually switch from DP1 to DP2 - is there any point in upgrading firmware just in hope it will get better??
My G9 does not have an option for auto sense input. It just lists, display port 1, display port 2 or HDMI.

Soldato
Thanks I might give it a try. These scan lines... I'm not sure I should ask this as once I see something I might not be able to unsee it but...what does this look like? I've never seen anything like this, which I'm hoping means I don't have the issue!

My G9 does not have an option for auto sense input. It just lists, display port 1, display port 2 or HDMI.
The scanlines seem to be worse on some monitors. If you change the refresh rate to the highest you will very likely see that there's horizontal lines across the screen, most visible at the edges. They're not super obvious but they are there for pretty much everyone I think but some panels are worse than others. I reduce my refresh for coding etc then if I'm playing games will bump it up to max refresh.

I upgraded to the latest firmware a few days ago, I haven't seen any real changes or fixes but I've also not really looked too hard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom