** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
I am the same! Even though I have always had the end of July in mind I was secretly hoping for today although knowing how unlikely it was! Shouldn't really feel a little gutted but hey ho. Looking at stocks everywhere I would happily settle for a couple of weeks right now.. I haven't actually fully disclosed it to the Mrs yet so at least I have more brownie point earning time to avoid the noose. Coming from a 24" 1080p 60Hz .... !

Please let me know when you get it how different it is for you as my jump will be similar, only difference is my 24'' is 75hz.

Associate
Just wondering... Those of you who have now received your Odyssey, have you owned/used VA panels in the past, and if so, how do they compare?
Previous monitor was BenQ EX3501R, VA-panel and 100Hz, it had a lot of ghosting/smearing when turning in games and such, so it's quite an upgrade now with G7. And EX3501R is one of the very good monitors for gaming.

Associate
If it's inside windows HDR is broken untill Windows fixes it , in games HDR should work fine
There is partially Windows to blame, but I'm afraid many people have installed various (video) codecs and they do mess up with HDR, for some reason.

I had not installed any codecs and YouTube HDR and videos via MPC-BE looked fantastic, then I thought to install madVR renderer to upscale some 1080p... and it messed up with everything, enabling HDR creates this gray coating/skin into my screen and looks awful. Before installing any extra video codecs, I would have assumed I own OLED screen, HDR was that good.

I haven't had use for HDR so much yet so I haven't played with settings and such, but just wanted to inform that once people install popular video codecs, it will interfere HDR functionality within Windows.

Associate
Saw a YouTube review of the G9 and it seems some are getting recalled due to top bazel coming loose?. But he said he couldn't Confirm that

Last edited:
Associate
Getting high praise this beauty
Man I really need this ASAP. Finaly the perfect gaming monitor. It seems to have it all I ever have dreamed of :)
https://www.avsforum.com/wordpress/samsung-odyssey-32g7-32-240-hz-qled-gaming-monitor-review/
Even though I respect AVS Forum, I need to admit I did stop reading after:

Unpacking and assemble of the Odyssey 32G7 monitor was fast and intuitive. Kudos to Samsung, there are zero loose screws involved in assembly and the parts go together in a couple minutes

As that is the biggest BS I've seen for a while. Unpacking and assembly is ANYTHING but fast and intuitive with G7 32", and there were 4 screws what I needed to tighten. The plastic ring (light effect) feels so plastic I was afraid the whole time if I break it, and like many others here, still afraid to connect rear cover as those plastic hooks feels so easy to crack.

The cable management plastic has same story, was so afraid to remove it the first time.
I don't know which model that has reviewed, but my G7 32" came with instruction sheet and it had total of 15 steps.

Fast and intuitive is when only thing you have to do is attach stand and tighten it.

Associate
I've been trying to convince myself to get the 32'' instead of the 49'' due to the levels of stock and the jump I'll be doing from a 24'' but I just can't imagine myself getting the 32'' and then spend the time wondering how much better it would be with the 49''.

Also because I could have the 32'' at home tomorrow and no idea when will the 49'' be available.. :(

Associate
Totally random question, and apologies for derailing. Does anyone have advice on a tall monitor arm that can attach to my desk to make my 28" monitor go above my G9?

The desk isn't going to be big enough to have it next to it so want it above the G9 tilting down. I have no experience with this kind of thing.

Appreciate the advice.

Associate
Well from reading Reddit and the issues people have been having in USA and UK with the Gp - Bezel coming off the front and leakage etc. Dead Pixels.

I am actually seeing this delay in shipments as a positive. I would hope they are going through the stock and doing more QA on them. It means more likely when we do get them they will have less issues. I know everyone is impatient and wants one now.

Soldato
Well from reading Reddit and the issues people have been having in USA and UK with the Gp - Bezel coming off the front and leakage etc. Dead Pixels.

I am actually seeing this delay in shipments as a positive. I would hope they are going through the stock and doing more QA on them. It means more likely when we do get them they will have less issues. I know everyone is impatient and wants one now.

QC on monitors these days seems to have taken a nose dive. I've just returned a third monitor for being riddled with dead pixels and a bright stuck one.

Associate
I've been trying to convince myself to get the 32'' instead of the 49'' due to the levels of stock and the jump I'll be doing from a 24'' but I just can't imagine myself getting the 32'' and then spend the time wondering how much better it would be with the 49''.

Also because I could have the 32'' at home tomorrow and no idea when will the 49'' be available.. :(
Just bear in mind, with the 32, not only will it be easier to drive @ the higher fps needed for the 240 hz, but you wont have a single issue with any games regarding aspect ratio compatibility etc etc, not to mention half the price or less....

Soldato
QC on monitors these days seems to have taken a nose dive. I've just returned a third monitor for being riddled with dead pixels and a bright stuck one.

This. I sent two Asus monitors back, second one was riddled with pixel issues and scratch on the screen itself. Thankfully I've not noticed one on my G7 and the backlight looks good to me, very happy with it.

Associate

My opinion is that if you play racing or flight simulator type of games only, you would be better with 49", otherwise 32". Current flagship, RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z even has hard times meeting even 100 FPS within 4K, and new generation (RDNA2/Ampere) won't magically improve 4K to 200 FPS. Therefore you are not really using 240Hz potential with 5120x1440 resolution.

I own 49" UW at work and it's great for productivity but gaming I prefer smaller screen, 1440p also has great compatibility, some titles had even challenges with 3440x1440, e.g. A Plague Tale: Innocence.

Associate
I cancelled my preorder for the G7. Being basically a beta tester with all the issues and the long wait was't ideal. Grabbed a GL83A which has actually turned out decent for an IPS screen obviously doesn't have the contrast and black depth the G7 has. Going to grab a G7 around Christmas time when manufacturing will be less rushed out the door and issues ironed out.

Associate
My opinion is that if you play racing or flight simulator type of games only, you would be better with 49", otherwise 32". Current flagship, RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z even has hard times meeting even 100 FPS within 4K, and new generation (RDNA2/Ampere) won't magically improve 4K to 200 FPS. Therefore you are not really using 240Hz potential with 5120x1440 resolution.

I own 49" UW at work and it's great for productivity but gaming I prefer smaller screen, 1440p also has great compatibility, some titles had even challenges with 3440x1440, e.g. A Plague Tale: Innocence.

mmos and fighting games like mortal kombat are other ones that are amazing on a 49 screen

Associate
gotta say i seem to be lucky with my G9, non of the problems some are reporting... so far.... :eek::D will keep my fingers crossed now i have said that ;)

Back
Top Bottom