** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Permabanned
Just for clarity these aren't certified G-SYNC monitors, they are at present G-Sync Compatiable
"Doesn’t use NVIDIA processors, but have been validated by NVIDIA to give you a good, basic variable refresh rate (VRR) experience for tear-free, stutter-free gaming.
Learn More About G-SYNC Compatible"

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

urgh I cant format these links nicely

Obviously I know that and assume most here will also, it does not have the G-Sync Hardware Module so will never be anything but G-Sync Compatible but how they passed the strict Nvidia cert many fail on I do not know.

My other monitor this was to replace is a proper 27" G-Sync Hardware Module panel.

I feel £600 is cheap for the specs (on paper), just throw in the proper G-Sync Hardware Module and the problems on that side are gone.

Ideally add more local dimming zones to make it HDR1000 like its big brother the G9 which is again cheap for the specs on paper (when they work).

Could have left the G7 as it is with current specs (if it worked) and made a 16:9 G9 32" +HDR1000+G-Sync Hardware Module and charge £800.

Last edited:
Associate
Photos are quick and dirty, please note this is to show the difference in black levels, micro detail between the two sub technologies.

The IPS here is my own GL83a

The VA is my own Samsung G7

VA panel in game photos are at the bottom and other shots it's random. The game used was Witcher 3, good range of colours, well known game that most know top to bottom so always a good reference. The settings were both stock for the simple reason that many will be using those settings. When both are calibrated, my opinion is the same. Brightness had to be matched as close as possible for a fair comparison.

Pay attention to the small details in shadows, no matter the settings the GL83a cannot produce the detail and vibrancy needed for immersion for my personal taste, the photos don't do either justice. If you buy the GL83A and never compare it to a VA and you're not a critical person, you will be happy with this monitor. The IPS screen during the day, in day light scenes looks acceptable but doesn't have the same range, shades the VA has here, even in light scenes contrast is important for picture depth. I feel the VA panel captures the fantasy look of the game far better than the GL83a with a more immersive look. I must stress the photos are quick, and filthy, this isn't ideal for most but it gives some idea into shadow detail, depth and contrast so make your own minds up.

This is to help those who want to see the differences, again in person, neither is done justice.

117081842_738408643589675_5351379795375015241_o.jpg

117123123_738320070265199_1288612178027299298_o.jpg

117170016_738408670256339_2308990334269946730_o.jpg

117116402_738408766922996_2779445417337505701_o.jpg

117037961_738408806922992_3667234568111725878_o.jpg

117234745_738408840256322_5804395290975369098_o.jpg

116043103_738408890256317_4215513065877032554_o.jpg

117158028_738230860274120_8392007286346142919_o.jpg

116908314_738413730255833_6827440978366098563_o.jpg

In love with this screen, I also find the curve adds to the immersion factor massively although polarising for some, personal preference but man it's truly something.

Permabanned
Got used of the curve in 1 day, thought it would be too much as I had 1800R Curve before, not seen the newer 1500R Curve in the flesh but thought 1000R will be crazy and when I took it out the box I hated it so much I did not set it up till later that day as I thought about putting it back in the box.

I do not get the hate for VA, IMO its the best LCD panel tech and was in most TV's for a reason (blacks and contrast ratio), this is Samsung own SVA Panel .

If I was doing pro photo work all day then I would get an IPS.

I have zero dead pixels and nearly zero (or as close as you can get) black light bleed in pitch black room (better than my Lenovo 27" VA, also a Samsung VA panel) as the Local Dimming does cut in and can be seen using videos on YT for this purpose.

I do have the Flicker/G-Sync C issue same as others.

Associate
I understand the delays aren't something OCUK can do anything about but after spending close to £1300 with a company and deliveries being delayed, I would at least expect some sort of status update - even if this is just reporting that there is nothing to report but you still have it in hand.

OCUK - can you please provide us with some updates on how things are going? Your feedback from Samsung as you're chasing down the pre-orders?

The delivery issue isn't an OCUK issue but the lack of customer care on the matter certainly is and will no doubt make me think twice before using your services again.

Associate
Hi all

Been having my G7 Odyssey for a few weeks now and have encountered some issues id like to know if anyone else seems to have (outside the VRR flicker which i also have)

Hopefully someone can test these things to see if i should try for a replacement or if theyre all like this:

Problem 1. HDR enabled on Xbox One X gives a green tint (changing monitor>system>pc/AV mode to AV makes the colors go really blue instead (can be seen home button slide on left) (my gfx on pc does not support HDR as its older and i can not verify if it does it on PC too) Neither are good

Problem 2. Some kind of screen door effect (i think) in with certain colors f.eks (discord close app button (red X) in top right corner when mouse over to close) But can aslo be seen on various colors with dead pixel buddy. The screen door effect seems to be across the entire top ofthe screen and 2 cm down or so.

Problem 3. Local dimming sometimes gets stuck in low right corner zone. Needs to power cycle before it releases the local dim down there otherwise it will stay constantly on.

Also is the local dimming supposed to be really visible in the bottom of the screen when each zone is enabled?

Hope someone with a X Box and discord can try these things out.

Associate
[EDIT: This was in reply to webnoob's post above.]

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. Given there are known and reported supply and quality issues affecting the G7 and G9 coming from Samsung, which is in turn affecting the fulfilling of any pre-order deliveries, isn't something OCUK can do anything about to change. But they can do something about to inform customers directly, so they know what is actually happening, rather than just speculating from the rumours and possible mis-information being spread online.

I've just had the email saying my pre-order for a 27" G7 has been shipped. That's great. Now I just need to hope I get lucky and have no quality issues, but this seems unlikely. I'm 99% certain at this rate to have at least 1 dead/stuck pixel in a central part of the screen, as it sounds like quality control from Samsung on these has been awful.

Associate
Wohoo - RTINGS, G7 Review is up :)

"The Samsung Odyssey G7 is a great overall monitor. It has amazing gaming performance because of its 240Hz refresh rate, outstanding response time, and it has FreeSync support too. It's a good choice for content creators or for watching movies as it's able to display deep blacks. Unfortunately, it's not ideal for sharing your screen with coworkers due to its narrow viewing angles."

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g7

Associate
Been looking for a new squeeze this week to replace my old 24" HD IPS Dell. Was gutted when I found this thread! Still really tempted to take a gamble haha... tell me its a terrible idea?

Associate
Been looking for a new squeeze this week to replace my old 24" HD IPS Dell. Was gutted when I found this thread! Still really tempted to take a gamble haha... tell me its a terrible idea?
The G7 has 4 x the contrast ratio of the best IPS monitors used for video games with lots of versatility, competitive gaming competent, in my opinion, it's an idea and move many will be making. People have waited years for a VA panel with this sort of motion handling, there's now no need for gaming IPS monitors unless one needs double duty with colour consistency for work; just go for it.

Associate
NikTheShnik - Can we find out whats happening with the G9 for those of us that have preorders or thinking of buying? My 70 odd in the queue seems a very long way away if never going to happen right now. Many Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Trying to see what I can find out direct from Samsung. Status 'Not for Sale' means this according to customer support when I asked:

There is possibility that the stock of the monitor will no longer replenish or it will really take a long while before it becomes available again.

Associate
Well good news potentially. After speaking to a very nice lady on a number the chat gave me after putting me on hold to talk to a different support group she was informed the G9 should be back in stock on the Samsung site next week. What that does for deliveries elsewhere who knows. Hopefully OC can chase for their order on ETAs and volumes and let us all know.

No idea on the accuracy of this (it doesnt exactly go with the Not For Sale status meaning the chat told me either) but can assure you this is what I was told...

So no panic from me yet but time will tell I guess. Will give it another fortnight and see where we are. Was pretty close to dumping my preorder and buying an overpriced but available this week 43" ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ. Not the same I know but stocks of super ultra wides in general are pretty scarce..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom