** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
I installed 1006 which didn't fix the freesync flicker, Tried CRU as well with no luck. Not sure I wanna send this back and get a third replacement only for it to do it again. Very very tempted to send for a refund but honestly nothing comes close to this display annoyingly

Are you running the Nvidia 451.85 Hotfix Drivers? I've got my 27" FB01 G7 running perfectly now as far as I can tell, firmware 1006.0 and Nvidia Hotfix Driver 451.85 (has to be downloaded manually, will not be picked up automatically by Geforce Experience). I've not had to use CRU or do anything else out of the ordinary to stop the flickering I was seeing in the menu screens on F1 2020.

The only perhaps difference on my system is I have set the Monitor Refresh Rate to 144Hz in the Nvidia Display -> Change Resolution section, because I know with a GTx1080 it's not going to be capable of those super high FPS rates. I will repeat my tests later with that set to 240Hz, but I don't expect any change. I've got no FPS caps set in game, no Maximum Framerate set in the Nvidia Manage 3D Settings, and I have Adaptive Sync turned on on the monitor and G-Sync enabled in Nvidia Control Panel.

Associate
So your saying if you do not frame cap it fixes your issues, I am not sure if that's a fix on such an expensive monitor, rather than a workaround for now.

I would not say I am using any workaround. I had set a Frame cap (maximum FPS limit) in game previously, and a maximum Refresh Rate, for my old monitor (BENQ XL2411t) because it was a 144Hz panel but to get a smoother experience (this monitor had no G-Sync/Adaptive Sync) I found that fixing the Monitor to 100Hz in Nvidia and the game to 100 FPS worked well for me.

With the G7, I have removed these limits, because Adaptive Sync/G-Sync is working to adjust the Monitor Refresh Rate Hz to match the game's rendered FPS - as it should! I think the flickering was caused by still having my old settings in place, but also Adaptive Sync on. There was no need for both, and there was a sort of conflict.

My only current limit is I've set the Monitor to 144Hz and not 240Hz, but I expect it to work the same if I set it to 240Hz. My game will still render an average ~100FPS, and the Adaptive Sync would work to keep the Monitor Refresh Rate Hz linked to the FPS - so the fact the upper limit is 240Hz is not going to matter because my GTx1080 cannot reach anywhere close in rendered FPS! For future proofing tho, it's fine because when I do change my PC, the monitor is ready for hardware that can push towards 240 FPS for 240Hz.

Soldato
For me I stick To G-Sync as do not need MBR or ULMB (the later made the picture dark no sure if that has changed or if MBR does the same).

I think Asus in recent years have since gotten G-Sync and ULMB to work at same time.

Some here are arguing about it (one of first results I seen in Google).

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456763-ulmb-vs-g-sync/

Have you actually tried MBR? It barely darkens the image, I had an Asus with ULMB previously and it totally darkened the image, the Samsung it barely changes it, well worth checking out if you haven't tried it.

Soldato
I too havent felt the need for Gsync on the G7 (did on my old 144hz monitor). I also dont use vsync though, just 240hz and fastest response time (not MBR). I do play competitive games a fair bit and haven't had any tearing thats big enough to notice, so havent felt the need for Gsync.

So you don't use vsync in NV Control Panel? Surely you'll get tearing?

Associate
My understanding is that G-Sync doesn't work above your monitors max refresh rate, so it's best to set a frame cap a few FPS below the max refresh of you monitor (just in case of spikes). It's advised to then enable V-Sync in NV Control Panel in case large spikes.

Having said that, I've seen plenty of people say the G-Sync just isn't needed on these displays cos of the massively high 240Hz refresh.

Guess something like that is subjective.

Associate
Decided to pull the trigger and pre-order a 32" G7.
Out of stock everywhere with no sign of replenishment so I'm hoping on Samsung fixing the issues with the scaler before sending out more stock to retailers.

Worst case scenario is I have to return it and keep waiting anyway.

Soldato
My understanding is that G-Sync doesn't work above your monitors max refresh rate, so it's best to set a frame cap a few FPS below the max refresh of you monitor (just in case of spikes). It's advised to then enable V-Sync in NV Control Panel in case large spikes.

Having said that, I've seen plenty of people say the G-Sync just isn't needed on these displays cos of the massively high 240Hz refresh.

Guess something like that is subjective.

So for someone like me using a 2080ti not using gsync, what are the best options for NV Control panel? Do I need to cap frame rate if not using gsync and do I need vsync on or off in control panel if gsync isn't being used?

Associate
I'd set a frame cap at monitor refresh rate regardless as there isn't much point in generating more FPS than the monitor can output (unless I'm mistaken - feel free to correct me) as this will tax your GPU with no benefit.

You can enable V-Sync to prevent tearing (which G-Sync would do if being used) but it introduces input lag.

Associate
Hi guys !
Never used any forums so i might make a mistake..
I've recently bought a 32 inch of G7 and what's bothering me is trees and hairs in many games such as Ghost recon breakpoint, wildlands, or Doom Eternal glory kills when it shines blue to orange, just have this lines i don't remember being visible on my previous screen.
Even on chrome browser i can see some flickering or when i move mice at X to quit, it's not clear red, again horizontal lines.
Don't know if you would see this in the image clearly but it's there and drives me crazy. Anyone have this issue aswell ?
https://imgur.com/a/2gv9uy7

Soldato
I'd set a frame cap at monitor refresh rate regardless as there isn't much point in generating more FPS than the monitor can output (unless I'm mistaken - feel free to correct me) as this will tax your GPU with no benefit.

You can enable V-Sync to prevent tearing (which G-Sync would do if being used) but it introduces input lag.

Thanks but guessing obviously not having vsync on will result in tearing.

Soldato
Hi guys !
I've recently bought a 32 inch of G7 and what's bothering me is trees and hairs in many games such as Ghost recon breakpoint, wildlands, or Doom Eternal glory kills when it shines blue to orange, just have this lines i don't remember being visible on my previous screen.
Even on chrome browser i can see some flickering or when i move mice at X to quit, it's not clear red, again horizontal lines.
Don't know if you would see this in the image clearly but it's there and drives me crazy. Anyone have this issue aswell ?

Those screenshots are of your computer so they will display fine, you need to do take actual photos with a camera of your monitor.

Soldato
Yes, but if you enable V-Sync then it'll stop the tearing but introduce input lag (more so than G-Sync).

Out of curiosity, why will you not being enabling G-Sync? I don't see any reason not to use it.

To be honest from what I read on a review which had done some testing they suggested Adaptive sync off, use fastest MBR setting, Low input lag on.

Associate
To be honest from what I read on a review which had done some testing they suggested Adaptive sync off, use fastest MBR setting, Low input lag on.
These kinda things are subjective.

Some people will say the tearing doesn't bother them, others like myself will be bothered by it.

I can only suggest playing about with the settings and see which are best for you.

Soldato
These kinda things are subjective.

Some people will say the tearing doesn't bother them, others like myself will be bothered by it.

I can only suggest playing about with the settings and see which are best for you.

I can't say I'm disappointed with those settings but might have a play around with gsync on later see if I notice the flickering everyone has mentioned.

Soldato
Hi guys !

I've noticed similar but only like on top left or top right of screen , I first noticed it looking at the my computer icon the monitor in my computer icon I see horizontal lines but if I move the icon away from top left or right its fine , in games I don't notice it

I found if I change the hz to lower it goes away

Not sure what to do this is my 2nd panel first one had White flickering lines on the right side of the screen

Maybe will be sorted with future firmware update ?

Associate
So you don't use vsync in NV Control Panel? Surely you'll get tearing?
I thought that too, my only assumption is the monitor updates frames that fast (240hz) that the tearing is barely noticeable. I'll be honest I haven't explicitly gone looking for tearing, but playing Division 2, R6 Siege, CSGO, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and others I also haven't noticed any tearing either so not felt the need. Id rather have the slightly lower latency for things like R6 Siege and just not use adaptive sync at all. Personally of course.

Associate
Those screenshots are of your computer so they will display fine, you need to do take actual photos with a camera of your monitor.

Thanks for pointing this

I still don't know if i am doing this right i just took photos of my browser with mouse on X. if you see horizontal lines in the first one than the same happens in doom eternal on glory kills and 2016 version too as i just downloaded and see it there.
While doing photos i just noticed that when i start chrome this thing with X doesn't happen for about 1-2 sec when it's clear red but then it's changing to lines.
I tried multiple nvidia drivers, hotfix ones but no luck, G-sync on/off, changed 240hz to 144,120. i am currently on korean firmware but no change.

https://imgur.com/a/bchMi9d

Soldato
I've done a lot of testing today, Display goes back tomorrow for a refund.

LFC on the G7 27 inch is 80hz not 60hz, Atleast on my panel and my friends. Samsung lied about it being 60-240, its 80-240 on them both.

I see LFC kicking in every 1-2 seconds while playing games, from 90hz to 180hz which is causing the insane flickering on my display, I've tried to force CRU to lower the LFC limit but it never works for me. End of the day it's pretty sad, Everything about this display is amazing but with the LFC being bugged to hell and samsung telling me they will only attempt to repair my panel and not replace it means am getting a refund and never touching samsung again.

Both my first and replacements were FB01, when I asked for FB02 they told me they don't have any. Maybe FB02 fixes the LFC bug, I donno, but am not going to request a third display to try it.

Back
Top Bottom