New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
after just rewatching DS9 catching on on STD was painful.

Instead of a rubbish ******* on the fans that was the Picard spinoff (they ruined the borg FFS) Why not a Garak spin off about rebuilding his broken society after the dominion war, trying to find his place in a new broken Cardassia after years of exile which in its self trying to find a its place in the Alpha Quantrant.

Would be fare more interesting and could do far more thinks than with Star Trek: Burnham

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Garek is dead unfortunately.
He was a superb character.

Errr...last I checked he survived the DS9 series finale (***edit*** in the Expanded Universe novels he becomes Cardassian ambassador to the Federation and later Castellan of the Cardassian Union) . And Andrew Robinson is very much alive, though at 78 years old I don't know how willing he'd be to step back into the rigours of Trek production. The only reason Sir Pat manages it is the couple of decades he spent simply refusing to age ;)

Damar and Dukat both died in the finale, Damar on Cardassia and Dukat in the Fire Caves on Bajor. Were you thinking of one of them?

Soldato
Errr...last I checked he survived the DS9 series finale (***edit*** in the Expanded Universe novels he becomes Cardassian ambassador to the Federation and later Castellan of the Cardassian Union) . And Andrew Robinson is very much alive, though at 78 years old I don't know how willing he'd be to step back into the rigours of Trek production. The only reason Sir Pat manages it is the couple of decades he spent simply refusing to age ;)

Damar and Dukat both died in the finale, Damar on Cardassia and Dukat in the Fire Caves on Bajor. Were you thinking of one of them?

Indeed you are correct.
I could have sworn we had a thread or part of a thread dedicated to his passing.....
Andrew Robinson I mean, I know Garek is alive.
Now i am very very confused.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Indeed you are correct.
I could have sworn we had a thread or part of a thread dedicated to his passing.....
Andrew Robinson I mean, I know Garek is alive.
Now i am very very confused.

Oh, I see. I know we had a spot of Garak appreciation earlier in the thread (ah, when Trek writers could do 'morally ambiguous' rather than just 'cartoon'...).

Man of Honour
I've got really mixed feelings about this series.

I think I genuinely enjoyed S2 - but all the characters that made it interesting left, and S3 suffered badly for it. I was really annoyed with it by the end of S3.
There are still good bits - I quite like some of the crew (Saru, Dr Culber, Stamets), I don't mind the ship design and interior sets, the visual effects are frankly stunning for a TV production - but overall there are way too many overcomplex plot threads that get dropped or never resolved, too much woke, too much disregard of canon, and too many far-fetched (even in a Sci Fi context) plot occurrences.

Associate
Didnt the Galaxy class have whales on board lol - maybe it was a Tardis as well.
Then again it was the size of a planet - someone did a video on youtube about how with the crew compliment you could wander about for ages and not meet another person.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Didnt the Galaxy class have whales on board lol - maybe it was a Tardis as well.

Cetacean Ops. Rick Sternbach placed it on decks 13 and 14 on the blueprints that he drew up.

Only the Enterprise-D had a spot of thought put into it, so the worst screw-up they had was the saucer rim and the windows in Ten Forward...

Check out Forgotten Trek if you haven't already, lots of mildly interesting stuff about how stuff was designed and thought up, what we didn't get to see on-screen, and so on.

Man of Honour
I've got really mixed feelings about this series.

I think I genuinely enjoyed S2 - but all the characters that made it interesting left, and S3 suffered badly for it. I was really annoyed with it by the end of S3.
There are still good bits - I quite like some of the crew (Saru, Dr Culber, Stamets), I don't mind the ship design and interior sets, the visual effects are frankly stunning for a TV production - but overall there are way too many overcomplex plot threads that get dropped or never resolved, too much woke, too much disregard of canon, and too many far-fetched (even in a Sci Fi context) plot occurrences.

I feel like the show took a nose dive once they got rid of the original captain. He was one of the most interesting characters.

Caporegime
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zP9PLYJxjaM

TWOK for me, 2:20 is my favourite warp effect of all time.
Honourable mention for TUC when Enterprise and Excelsior are flat out en route to Khitomer - they really got the sense of speed right.

I hate the warp "effect" in the new shows, it's not even an effect, the ship just blurs and vanishes and has some sound effect that sounds like it's taken out of a 1990's childs toy. Just half assed crap with zero thought and even less effort put into it.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The little addition he made made to this when the enterprise goes to warp is great, seeing enterprise from the excelsior pov.

That's really neat :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zP9PLYJxjaM

TWOK for me, 2:20 is my favourite warp effect of all time.
Honourable mention for TUC when Enterprise and Excelsior are flat out en route to Khitomer - they really got the sense of speed right.

Yep. And the shot of Excelsior belting past the screen was so good they re-used it in Generations...to depict the Enterprise-B...which of course had all sorts of changes in design over Excelsior.

Oops :o

I feel like the show took a nose dive once they got rid of the original captain. He was one of the most interesting characters.

He was interesting for the 4.67 seconds that he was being written as an interesting, morally ambiguous character. Once the writing devolved into 'moustache-twirling villain' even Jason Issacs couldn't save him.

Caporegime
after just rewatching DS9 catching on on STD was painful.

Instead of a rubbish ******* on the fans that was the Picard spinoff (they ruined the borg FFS) Why not a Garak spin off about rebuilding his broken society after the dominion war, trying to find his place in a new broken Cardassia after years of exile which in its self trying to find a its place in the Alpha Quantrant.

Would be fare more interesting and could do far more thinks than with Star Trek: Burnham

The Borg were already ruined with the introduction of the Queen, though I'd say any introduction of a cosmic horror is always bound for narrative difficulty.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The Borg were already ruined with the introduction of the Queen, though I'd say any introduction of a cosmic horror is always bound for narrative difficulty.

I've noted on here before that the original vision of the Borg was getting corrupted right from their first appearance on. Even "The Best of Both Worlds", excellent as it was, started them on the path to becoming space vampires mostly interested in turning you into one of them when originally they didn't give a stuff about you - their sole purpose was assimilating your technology.

Caporegime
I always find it funny that when the Borg attack Earth they send a single cube each time, because that's worked so well in the past. More likely down to budget reasons and not wanting to have a longer battle sequence as a single cube takes a while to take down so 2 is just taking the ****.

On the subject of the Borg, have to say i never liked those little repair droids that picard introduced, instead of the cube regenerating little spider bots are running around repairing the thing. Are they just not more targets to get taken out to halt repairs whereas the Borg combining their will in the alcoves is much more difficult to take out in terms of sheer amount of them....oh wait the fire door that ejects them all, scratch that then. :o

Caporegime

I dunno it fits the narrative. Drones and a queen. I got no problems.

Really species 8742 ruined the borg, in more ways than the obvious :p
When Janeway decided to work with them for safe passage it kinda diluted them down to just another faction.
I liked that they had a queen(s) to play off Janeway (Not forgetting data earlier just) . Decent strong female leaders way, way before the modern unbelievable BS of wokeness.

Back
Top Bottom