New system for my lad

Building a pc is non trivial imo. You are best watching a bunch of YouTube vids. Then plan. Examine parts carefully. Dry run. Allow plenty of time.
I found it quite stressful.

When I built a PC for my son for his birthday I got him to build it while I supervised him.

Got him involved and hopefully get him to learn about computers at the same time.

Building a pc is non trivial imo. You are best watching a bunch of YouTube vids. Then plan. Examine parts carefully. Dry run. Allow plenty of time.
I found it quite stressful.
Yes I remember doing my first tower , it was a bit stressful and done exactly that .

But I do think building it would work out cheaper , but it is the concern of making a mistake that concerns me .

When I built a PC for my son for his birthday I got him to build it while I supervised him.

Got him involved and hopefully get him to learn about computers at the same time.
I’m not so sure at ten he will have the patience , but it would definitely be interesting for us both ,

You could save a fair chunk of money or simply end up with a better system if you built it yourself, while ensuring quality components.

For example:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,689.84 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

The 7800X3D is a superior gaming CPU to the 7700X, faster RAM, excellent power supply (OCUK tend to put poor quality Kolink PSU's in their systems), larger SSD.

You can pick up Windows keys for a tenner, or alternatively run without a licence with minor functionality loss.

A higher end GPU is also viable with the savings, a 7900XTX or 4080S etc.

That said, there are new processors releasing in a few weeks so waiting might be best.
Thanks I like the look of this , looks good , is ram listed optimal , or is there better options ?

Thanks for the post

Thanks I like the look of this , looks good , is ram listed optimal , or is there better options ?

Thanks for the post

The memory should be fine, X3D chips aren't too fussy about memory speed anyway and it's pretty decent stuff.

Here are some alternatives:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £304.97 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

The Teamgroup Vulcan EXPO saves you some cash but no bling/rgb.

The Kingston Fury Renegade is faster for a fiver more, but again no bling/rgb.

The Kingston Fury Beast is the same EXPO is pretty much the same speed as what I originally linked for a tenner more, but has EXPO which might streamline things a little for you.

EXPO basically gives you a quick/easy option to automatically set the ram you buy to its rated speed, it's like XMP but specifically for AMD.

If your lad plays call of duty then take a look at an amd card, cod tends to prefer them over nvidia as the game was designed around consoles and amd build the ps5 chips.

7800x3d and a 7900xtx eat cod alive. Discounting ray tracing which is not applicable in FPS games really the 7900xtx is faster in most titles v a 4080 never mind a 4070

Last edited:
If your lad plays call of duty then take a look at an amd card, cod tends to prefer them over nvidia as the game was designed around consoles and amd build the ps5 chips.

7800x3d and a 7900xtx eat cod alive. Discounting ray tracing which is not applicable in FPS games really the 7900xtx is faster in most titles v a 4080 never mind a 4070
Thanks Ben , yes he does play cod , and Fortnite and also other games with high graphic / memory processing like ragdoll type sims , but envisage him loving to slightly more pc based fps , so want to future proof . From the limited reading I have done , the intel has not sounded as appealing as the amd chips and also been leaning more towards the Radeon over the nvidia …

Generally our budget will be around max 2 k for this ,

May I ask what people thoughts are on the 32” curved Samsung odyssey g6 monitor , is this something considered decent .

If going for an AMD GPU either of these would fit into your budget:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,529.98 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Both would work very well, obviously the 7900XTX is faster, I'd recommend looking at some reviews and decide on whether the XTX is worth another £200 to you or not.

Last edited:
Thanks Ben , yes he does play cod , and Fortnite and also other games with high graphic / memory processing like ragdoll type sims , but envisage him loving to slightly more pc based fps , so want to future proof . From the limited reading I have done , the intel has not sounded as appealing as the amd chips and also been leaning more towards the Radeon over the nvidia …

Generally our budget will be around max 2 k for this ,

May I ask what people thoughts are on the 32” curved Samsung odyssey g6 monitor , is this something considered decent .

It’s a nice monitor. A 7900xtx will get the full 240fps on high settings at 1440p on cod

I have a 7800x3d and 7900xtx myself and get 220-260 fps with all settings near enough maxed out.

32 inches is generally considered quite large for competitive fps gaming. Most pro players use 24-28 inch monitors. They sit relatively close and don’t have to move their eyes as much so therefore reaction times are ever so slightly better as targets will be in their field of view the whole time. They’re not scanning a bigger area looking for someone to shoot at

Last edited:
32 inches is generally considered quite large for competitive fps gaming. Most pro players use 24-28 inch monitors. They sit relatively close and don’t have to move their eyes as much so therefore reaction times are ever so slightly better as targets will be in their field of view the whole time. They’re not scanning a bigger area looking for someone to shoot at

There are some exceptions to this with 30" 2560x1080 ultrawides, as the potential field of view can actually benefit in some FPS titles and as the height remains that of a standard 24" screen you shouldn't have a lot of extra eye movement to deal with.

They're still pretty niche though and there aren't a lot of high quality options out there.

If going for an AMD GPU either of these would fit into your budget:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,529.98 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Both would work very well, obviously the 7900XTX is faster, I'd recommend looking at some reviews and decide on whether the XTX is worth another £200 to you or not.
Thanks gray much appreciated , I will have at look at these .

It’s a nice monitor. A 7900xtx will get the full 240fps on high settings at 1440p on cod

I have a 7800x3d and 7900xtx myself and get 220-260 fps with all settings near enough maxed out.

Ok understood , currently he plays only for fun so , as he was using a ps5 , we got him something bigger although I don’t the the ps5 can utilise monitors full capability , as he does play other games but on reflection , after using it myself , I did not it is a lot to cover with your eyes , and felt perhaps we should have went flat particularly if we were going to dual monitor at some point . But hey ho you live and learn .

Ok understood , currently he plays only for fun so , as he was using a ps5 , we got him something bigger although I don’t the the ps5 can utilise monitors full capability , as he does play other games but on reflection , after using it myself , I did not it is a lot to cover with your eyes , and felt perhaps we should have went flat particularly if we were going to dual monitor at some point . But hey ho you live and learn .

If you’ve already bought the monitor then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all it’s a nice screen. You are spot on with your assumption that the ps5 is not utilising the screen. Not even close

I jumped from a ps5 back to PC last year with the 7900xtx and the jump was very noticeable.

I just assumed part of the reason for the upgrade was you were getting nagged so he could get better at the games through better performance hence the mention of pro players. Gaming should always be fun

Last edited:
If you’ve already bought the monitor then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all it’s a nice screen. You are spot on with your assumption that the ps5 is not utilising the screen. Not even close

I jumped from a ps5 back to PC last year with the 7900xtx and the jump was very noticeable.

I just assumed part of the reason for the upgrade was you were getting nagged so he could get better at the games through better performance hence the mention of pro players. Gaming should always be fun
No not really at that stage with it yet , though he is better than me at it as my reflexes are getting on a bit , more of a quake guy

But yes we have the monitor already so that is staying for now , but in the future that may change ,

Just really trying overall to future proof the whole package so it last a couple of years and is not overwhelmed to quickly

No not really at that stage with it yet , though he is better than me at it as my reflexes are getting on a bit , more of a quake guy

But yes we have the monitor already so that is staying for now , but in the future that may change ,

Just really trying overall to future proof the whole package so it last a couple of years and is not overwhelmed to quickly

Thanks gray much appreciated , I will have at look at these .
Hi gray, I have been doing a bit of review watching of the proposed new zen 5 ryzens 9900, and from what little I have the ability to discern , do you think ( as you seem to know about these things) it is worth for the ipc proposed increase of 16% just for gaming load ?

Happy to spend the money , just considering if actually having seen some purported benchmarks , if the lad will benefit from this v the additional expense they will have won them , v the reduction (hopefully) to some of the above listed cpus.

As if not really the money could be better spent on other elements for the tower ?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Hi gray, I have been doing a bit of review watching of the proposed new zen 5 ryzens 9900, and from what little I have the ability to discern , do you think ( as you seem to know about these things) it is worth for the ipc proposed increase of 16% just for gaming load ?

Happy to spend the money , just considering if actually having seen some purported benchmarks , if the lad will benefit from this v the additional expense they will have won them , v the reduction (hopefully) to some of the above listed cpus.

As if not really the money could be better spent on other elements for the tower ?
Thank you in advance
Bump **

Any update on the new cpus as of yet, from what I have seen not much worth spending the extra money, we have waited for release , but only really seen the gaming nexus reviews on the 9900 9950 , not really that brilliant .

We are planning ton ordering everything this weekend .

Bump **

Any update on the new cpus as of yet, from what I have seen not much worth spending the extra money, we have waited for release , but only really seen the gaming nexus reviews on the 9900 9950 , not really that brilliant .

I wouldn't say it's worth the extra money for the 9000 series unfortunately, unless AMD has a fix in the works but it's up in the air. The 7800X3D actually beats out the 9x00 series chips in gaming much of the time and can be had for around the £300 mark, I'm not sure what the ETA is on the 9800X3D but I'm expecting it to be closer to or in excess of £400.

As for cooling such a chip, the above Phantom Spirit is more than ample for it.

Last edited:
Bump **

There seem to be some teething problems with the new CPUs where they are not performing as expected on Windows, but for now, it looks like for a gamer: not worth it.

If you happen to do something where the new architecture is optimised (e.g. uses AVX512) then they show a nice uplift, but I don't think there are many scenarios that applies (this review is good for that: https://www.phoronix.com/review/ryzen-9600x-9700x ).

The 7000 series are due some discounts if you look at prices elsewhere, but not much on offer right now that I can see.

Back
Top Bottom