New system for my lad

You could save a fair chunk of money or simply end up with a better system if you built it yourself, while ensuring quality components.

For example:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,689.84 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

The 7800X3D is a superior gaming CPU to the 7700X, faster RAM, excellent power supply (OCUK tend to put poor quality Kolink PSU's in their systems), larger SSD.

You can pick up Windows keys for a tenner, or alternatively run without a licence with minor functionality loss.

A higher end GPU is also viable with the savings, a 7900XTX or 4080S etc.

That said, there are new processors releasing in a few weeks so waiting might be best.
Hi gray we have been going through this list this evening, would recommend any further tower cooling for this spec , or would this do ? As I said bit of a nOOb at this these days .

Also anything else obvious missing , like braided cables

PCI card

Or is this everything you would need to get started other than opsys, the only thing we changed was ram .. to the fury

Last edited:
There seem to be some teething problems with the new CPUs where they are not performing as expected on Windows, but for now, it looks like for a gamer: not worth it.

If you happen to do something where the new architecture is optimised (e.g. uses AVX512) then they show a nice uplift, but I don't think there are many scenarios that applies (this review is good for that: https://www.phoronix.com/review/ryzen-9600x-9700x ).

The 7000 series are due some discounts if you look at prices elsewhere, but not much on offer right now that I can see.
Thank you will have a read / watch .

Hi gray we have been going through this list this evening, would recommend any further tower cooling for this spec , or would this do ? As I said bit of a nOOb at this these days .

Also anything else obvious missing , like braided cables

PCI card

Or is this everything you would need to get started other than opsys, the only thing we changed was ram .. to the fury

That’s eveything you should need minus operating system right there. Looks a nice spec.

The only thing I’m not sure as I’ve never used that cooler is whether it has thermal paste pre applied or not

Braided cables are usually for looks. The included PSU cables are enough

Last edited:
That’s eveything you should need minus operating system right there. Looks a nice spec.

The only thing I’m not sure as I’ve never used that cooler is whether it has thermal paste pre applied or not

Braided cables are usually for looks. The included PSU cables are enough
Thanks Ben , may order a good quality and not sure if it does or does not . Will need to have a closer look .

just worried I would get it wrong, hence using the pre built route .
I think that you would be alright the hardest thing would probably be getting a windows usb installer, unless you have another computer, they do sell win11 dvds here but yeah 100 notes and you need a dvd player in the system

Last edited:
I think that you would be alright the hardest thing would probably be getting a windows usb installer, unless you have another computer, they do sell win11 dvds here but yeah 100 notes and you need a dvd player in the system
I have a Mac I can run bootcamp on , but having not done a windows installer usb , would need to know formatting type for usb msdos or fat32 , and then what to put onto it ?

I have a Mac I can run bootcamp on , but having not done a windows installer usb , would need to know formatting type for usb msdos or fat32 , and then what to put onto it ?
you will have to make a bootable USB then use the appropiate windows installation creation tool from the windows web site HERE is a link on how to do it on a PC, I have zero clue how you are going to manage to do it on an inferior mac, know anyone with a loaptop you could use for 30 mins( if that)?
when installing you will obviousy have to go into the bios, and make sure that the first boot device is from USB and you will have to choose the correct option to just use an unactivated version of windows, but if you care, you can pay to activate it later on

Last edited:
you will have to make a bootable USB then use the appropiate windows installation creation tool from the windows web site HERE is a link on how to do it on a PC, I have zero clue how you are going to manage to do it on an inferior mac, know anyone with a loaptop you could use for 30 mins( if that)?
when installing you will obviousy have to go into the bios, and make sure that the first boot device is from USB and you will have to choose the correct option to just use an unactivated version of windows, but if you care, you can pay to activate it later on
Just remembered my wife has a new pc laptop I got her for her birthday .

So hopefully that should do it right .

Hi guys the motherboard , cooling , and case are all pre order , what does this usually mean these days .

Also is that enough cooling for the tower … sorry for all the questions .

Hi guys the motherboard , cooling , and case are all pre order , what does this usually mean these days .

Also is that enough cooling for the tower … sorry for all the questions .
I'll take a look tomorrow and look at alternatives, pre order means they don't have stock.

Just remembered my wife has a new pc laptop I got her for her birthday .

So hopefully that should do it right .
aye, job's a gud 'un
I've been on unactivated win10pro for over a decade now, no harm, no foul, I'll probably never go to win11 but if I did, i'd go the free unactivated method I don't mind not being able to personalise windows. i just want a working OS, it seems that in unactivated win10 you can personalise things anyway, and, after all this time they ou are running an unactivated windows watermark has disappeared now toot!hough a did run a dodgey program to get rid of that, but I got bit by a windows update that I thought would have brought it back :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom