New system for my lad

Do like the look of the thermalight though ?
just go for whatever is cheapest, the 78003d needs hardily any cooling, in fact you could go for a much less regarded cooler, at an even cheaper cost because the cpu is so cool, and it's not like you will be overclocking it because most bioses, have overclocking blocked on this cpu, I only went for an aio for mine because I wanted the RGB that came with it, if I was doing the build again, i'd just go with a cheap rgb air cooler!, failing that I'd just use the cheapest AM5 cooler that I could find, it's that cool!

Last edited:
just go for whatever is cheapest, the 78003d needs hardily any cooling, in fact you could go for a much less regarded cooler, at an even cheaper cost because the cpu is so cool, and it's not like you will be overclocking it because most bioses, have overclocking blocked on this cpu, I only went for an aio for mine because I wanted the RGB that came with it, if I was doing the build again, i'd just go with a cheap rgb air cooler!, failing that I'd just use the cheapest AM5 cooler that I could find, it's that cool!

The Phantom Spirit and Peerless Assassin can both be had for around the £30 mark, there's certainly merit to your point but it's hardly breaking the bank for such a high end (performance wise) HSF.

The lower end options out there worth buying save maybe £5-10 at most.

Plus, it's worth having for longevity as we don't really know how the future 10800 etc will handle temperatures should he choose to upgrade, let alone opt for a higher core count solution due to a change of needs.

Last edited:
plus, it's worth having for longevity as we don't really know how the future 10800 etc will handle temperatures should he choose to upgrade, let alone opt for a higher core count solution due to a change of needs.
fair enough, I agree that things are worth future poofing,and I don't advocate spoiling the ship for halfpenny of tar, but at the same time, I kinda doubt this pc will ever be, or need to be upgraded, I cannot imagine the game that will need a 10800 at the minimum! I might understand if it was stated that the kid was into vector, or cgi right now, but it just looks like a general use / games machine to me., I do note that he was not specced a pcie5.0 motherboard for the future though. in case he ever needs the 9070 after changing needs

Last edited:
It's about on par with the other, more or less in the same ballpark and would work well with the parts suggested.
Thanks Gray , that info is much appreciated , I’m now being bagged incessantly about getting the stuff , lol.

So read about cooling yesterday , and yes phantom spirit is one of the best in not thee, in the air section.

So going to order that ,

Is the other case much for much, and does it allow for card expansion if they ever get bigger.

Going to order this evening , what I can from here anyway.

Oh sorry one last thing , I have black SSD in our digital ps5s , is the ram beat matching the ssd here , or is that irrelevant , ie did I choose the better of the ram options that you all have suggested .

fair enough, I agree that things are worth future poofing,and I don't advocate spoiling the ship for halfpenny of tar, but at the same time, I kinda doubt this pc will ever be, or need to be upgraded, I cannot imagine the game that will need a 10800 at the minimum! I might understand if it was stated that the kid was into vector, or cgi right now, but it just looks like a general use / games machine to me., I do note that he was not specced a pcie5.0 motherboard for the future though. in case he ever needs the 9070 after changing needs
I can assure you he will test it , he wants to run mass units wars of Totally Epic Ultimate Battle Simulator , I think this will push the unit , we’re talking millions of units is his desire . We were watching a 24 million unit battle , the ps 5 struggles to deal with even hundreds of units , causing some crunching…

Last edited:
Hi threepwood . Thanks for your input , pcie5 motherboard ?

Edit : just read this, as this has been around since 2019 and we’re just getting product ranges now , ie ssd , rams , boards etc , is the cost v return worth it

https://www.xda-developers.com/pcie-5/#:~:text=PCIe%25205.0%2520or%2520Gen%25205,to%2520a%2520certain%2520extent%2520%E2%80%94%2520GPUs.

Last edited:
Also never used a MAC, but hope these instructions help.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/support/guides/w11-usb-macos/
the link doest go to anything relevant, it's just a link to

Creating a Windows 11 Install USB on MacOS

erm, idk, to me it just seems odd to buy a new motherboard without pcie 5 because one day gpus will use it and there is debate as to whether pcie 5 m.2 speeds will be worth it in the future too. ( I have a pcie 5.0 m.2 anyway, latest tech and all that with a big spend
I couldn't help myself from future proofing t with pcie 5.0, as I mainly buy higher res monitors, at higher refresh rates, so one day I know that I am going to need one of the best gpus to run whatever the highest res/refresh monitor there is in the future

you really don't have to worry about this, I was just using pcie as an example of real future proofing, over future proofing with a poxy air cooler, I don't think that I will ever be upgrading my 78003d now see, okay just maybe if a far future gpu is bottlenecked by it, but my current build is my long term pc, and I will eek decades out of it , I don't think that I will ever have the money to do a full refresh of my PC again, considering my circumstances now(recently made disabled for life, and cannot work!) but I am already saving for an 8k refresh of my monitor, and then I will be saving for an nvidia 5000 series gpu refresh too. et,c round, and around we go, but I know that one day personally I'll want the pcie5 bandwidth, but that is just me, one day, I will be on a 16k monitor at over 100 refresh rate, one day., like I'm on 4k, 144 refresh rate now, with a 4090 to get 144 fps, i'm not sure that I could achieve this with pcie 2.0, which I would be on, if I had never refreshed my PC, yes ~I really do eek out my systems out for decades​

I can assure you he will test it , he wants to run mass units wars of Totally Epic Ultimate Battle Simulator , I think this will push the unit , we’re talking millions of units is his desire . We were watching a 24 million unit battle , the ps 5 struggles to deal with even hundreds of units , causing some crunching…
he's going to test a 10800, are you sure?
edit: maybe you lost the grip of the current conversation before you wrote that, sorry.

Last edited:
Well at least I thought he would be looking over the actual game specs maybe not , what 10800 are you referring to ? I don’t have anything like that listed , do I?

He's referring to my talking about processor upgrade potential for the AM5 platform, AMD is supporting it until 2027-2028 so it's perfectly plausible that your son could upgrade his CPU in the future, one such (hypothetical) chip is the 10800 in another generation.

I wouldn't worry about PCI-E 4 vs 5, frankly there's not much out there right now saturating PCI-E 3 GPU wise let alone 4.

@freddie64 I thought it was a helpful link for the OP tbh.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input , I think I will cast aside the idea of pcie5 simply as they seem quite cost prohibitive , although I like the idea of maximising ram and ssd , perhaps when they plateau a little on price it may be a consideration .

Another thought I had , was is the wd black ram going operate better with the ssd black than the option I listed , or does this not really matter .

Thanks everyone for your input , I think I will cast aside the idea of pcie5 simply as they seem quite cost prohibitive , although I like the idea of maximising ram and ssd , perhaps when they plateau a little on price it may be a consideration .

Another thought I had , was is the wd black ram going operate better with the ssd black than the option I listed , or does this not really matter .

It doesn't really matter, and you needn't get too hung up on RAM speed with the X3D variants as they're not overly sensitive to it.

A good cl30-40/6000 set will be fine for around the £80-100 mark.

It doesn't really matter, and you needn't get too hung up on RAM speed with the X3D variants as they're not overly sensitive to it.

A good cl30-40/6000 set will be fine for around the £80-100 mark.
Thanks gray

Was going to spend a little more for storage purposes , given burgeoning game sizes ,

This looks like final spec , and thanks for suggestions ,

Does this all look decent

YOUR ORDER​

1 X Asus TUF Gaming 850W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply - £99.95
SKU
: CA-060-AS

1 X Asrock B650M PG Riptide (Socket AM5) DDR5 Micro-ATX Motherboard - £158.99
SKU
: MB-18Y-AK

1 X Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB Dual Tower CPU Cooler - 120mm - £36.94
SKU
: COO-TLR-02721

1 X Aerocool Dryft Mini v2 Micro-ATX Case -£55.00
SKU
: CAS-AER-00607

1 X Zotac GeForce RTX 4070 TI Super Trinity Black 16Gb Graphics Card - £779.99
SKU
: GRA-ZTC-01497

1 X NVIDIA - Star Wars: Outlaws Game Bundle -£0.00
SKU
: DIG-NVI-03030

1 X Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut High Performance Thermal Paste - 5.5g / 1.5 ml - £19.99
SKU
: TH-001-TG

1 X WD Black SN850X 4TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen4 Solid State Drive (WDS400T2X0E) -£269.99
SKU
: HD-592-WD

1 X AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Eight Core 5.00GHz (Socket AM5) Processor - Retail - £329.99
SKU
: CP-3DT-AM

1 X AMD Ryzen - Space Marine & Unknown 9 Awakening Games Bundle - £0.00
SKU
: DIG-AMD-02908

Grand Total: £1,750.84

Aye, that looks good to me mate. You could always add more storage at a later date if you wanted but the SN850X is a solid choice and 4tb will do you well.
Yeah , I’m sure he will clutter it up a bit so may end getting another drive probably the 2tb , that way I may set up installations to the larger drive and run the opsys on the smaller drive , if that would still work rather than partitioning , if that can still be done .

Also how do you get games onto a pc these days is it all download , or use steam et al .

Back
Top Bottom