New system for my lad

Do you think I should the atx12v2
You mean the 4 pin next to the 8 pin? It shouldn't matter, but no harm in connecting it.

Also with fans I used only 3 pin for argb on this board from the cases smart hub ,

And the phantom spirit had a y split you could join , so joined those , and used its 3 pin to connect to the cases smart hub ? This however left two 4 pins doing nothing from the cpu cooler
My brain can't compute that, sorry.

Power button helps

, Absoloute n00b I am ,

so board is powering up ram and graphics card , and case fans all running now , was sata connector in smart hub not connected

but even with cpu fan ran to rgb 1/2 on board no fan spooling on phantom spirit , what’s best way to wire this into board .

Another thing I noted on the aero cool case smart job there is a sata cable , does that require connecting :update , this has powered the case fans

https://postimg.cc/FfVsYbvD

However cpu fan still not spinning, so it would be safe to assume we will get no boot , should connect to rub on mb , as currently linked onto the smart hub 3 pin

Last edited:
However cpu fan still not spinning, so it would be safe to assume we will get no boot , should connect to rub on mb , as currently linked onto the smart hub 3 pin
CPU fan (I mean, of an air cooler) should always be directly connected to the dedicated CPU fan header on the motherboard, in my opinion. You can usually turn off any alarms/warnings if you connect it elsewhere, but I wouldn't do that.

On an RGB cooler these are usually separate connectors, the PWM plug for the motherboard's CPU fan header and then a separate RGB / ARGB. Note that you should never connect a 5v to a 12v and vice versa, RGB/ARGB are not interoperable.

Thanks tetras , so essentially then you are saying use only the dedicated cpu cooler header , but with this cooler it is two fans , with y cables as above (3pin type) in the image and the boards cpu fan header even when used is not allowing them to run (this is a 4pin) , they are 3 pin or 4 pin 5 v and 12 v, right ?

So what is to be connected to what this is the question

That’s the board and that is the two cpu fans listed

Last edited:
Thanks tetras , so essentially then you are saying use only the dedicated cpu cooler header , but with this cooler it is two fans , with y cables as above (3pin type) in the image and the boards cpu fan header even when used is not allowing them to run (this is a 4pin) , they are 3 pin or 4 pin 5 v and 12 v, right ?

So what is to be connected to what this is the question

That’s the board and that is the two cpu fans listed
I really should just RTFM, eh? :D

Sooo, the manual says that you should use the 4 pin PWM header (label: cpu fan) on the motherboard.

The Y-thing it says is for the purpose of syncing the fans, so that if you control them via the motherboard they don't end up running at different speeds. I think that suggests you can just remove that assembly and connect one fan to the cpu fan header and the other to a chassis fan header.

You're saying they are 3 pins? But, from what I can see in the manual, they're 4 pin PWM? Are you making sure that the fan plug slots down on the 4 pin header correctly (there are little tabs)?

In regards to RGB/ARGB, the manual says that the fans will be ARGB 5v 3-pin. I believe these are located at the bottom of your motherboard, but do check because getting the one wrong is very bad.

I really should just RTFM, eh? :D

Sooo, the manual says that you should use the 4 pin PWM header (label: cpu fan) on the motherboard.

The Y-thing it says is for the purpose of syncing the fans, so that if you control them via the motherboard they don't end up running at different speeds. I think that suggests you can just remove that assembly and connect one fan to the cpu fan header and the other to a chassis fan header.

You're saying they are 3 pins? But, from what I can see in the manual, they're 4 pin PWM? Are you making sure that the fan plug slots down on the 4 pin header correctly (there are little tabs)?

In regards to RGB/ARGB, the manual says that the fans will be ARGB 5v 3-pin. I believe these are located at the bottom of your motherboard, but do check because getting the one wrong is very bad.
No , I should just read RTFM , which I have tried but given getting no power when using the specific header listed in TFM, getting no spin or power , which is what is confusing me , even at this stage I’m not getting any boot as I assume mb knows no power to fan cpu is active , really doing my head in ! But learning every minute , will try again , and see if it forcing a tad harder helps

I would have course like to sync fans with other fans , for purely childish reasons , but does not seem to be happening , however given I forgot completely about a power switch initially when turning on, it may be I’m having a moment of it all!

Edit: I’m still confused as to how you power the second fan then !

Last edited:
Edit: I’m still confused as to how you power the second fan then !
Hmm, which model of cooler do you have exactly?

I just looked at the manual of the EVO model and I wonder if the reason you are seeing a 3-pin Y header instead of a 4-pin Y header is because this cable is actually meant for the ARGB power and not for the fan power?

Edit: for clarity, when I said about syncing the fans, what I meant was that it syncs the power delivered to the fans (like, the spin speed), so that they will spin at the same speed because the motherboard would control CPU and chassis fans separately if you connected each fan to a separate header on the motherboard.

It would be weird to have a CPU cooler that has the two fans spinning at different speeds.

This is totally unrelated to the ARGB/RGB being synced to anything and these separate 3-pin ARGB connectors only exist if you have a RGB model, if you don't then just ignore that part.

In terms of: SHOULD you sync the fan power of the CPU cooler to the chassis (e.g. connect the CPU fans to a fan controller instead of the motherboard), then in my opinion no, you should not.

Last edited:
Hmm, which model of cooler do you have exactly?

I just looked at the manual of the EVO model and I wonder if the reason you are seeing a 3-pin Y header instead of a 4-pin Y header is because this cable is actually meant for the ARGB power and not for the fan power?
Thermal right Phantom spirit 120se

Update ,

One fan is spinning but not lighting ! Which is some progress

The Y assembly is 3 pin , the cpu fan headers are both 4 pin

Currently not using the Y section only the 4 pin ,

Weird how it is spinning but not lighting , ie fan of of cpu header 1 only is being used

Last edited:
For clarity, can you confirm you purchased the RGB model of this cooler?

Are you using the Y-cable assembly, or connecting each fan independently?
ARGB 5v type,

Which begs the question , if I used the 4 pin could the led now be fried , but if you have to connect of of the cpu fan header how do you do that with only 4 pin mb connectors

Last edited:
The CPU fan power is usually separate to ARGB/RGB lighting. The ARGB/RGB lighting is controlled via a distinct cable/connector. That's assuming you purchased the RGB/ARGB model.

Currently not using the Y section only the 4 pin ,
I see, from what I understand of the manual, you would need to use a chassis fan header or maybe your fan hub, if you want to power the second fan.

Coolers often have an internal cable that means there's only one connector, but these Thermalright coolers appear to just provide you with two 100% physically/mechanically separate fans.

For clarity, can you confirm you purchased the RGB model of this cooler?

Are you using the Y-cable assembly, or connecting each fan independently?
ARGB 5
The CPU fan power is usually separate to ARGB/RGB lighting. The ARGB/RGB lighting is controlled via a distinct cable/connector. That's assuming you purchased the RGB/ARGB model.

I see, from what I understand of the manual, you would need to use a chassis fan header or maybe your fan hub, if you want to power the second fan.

Coolers often have an internal cable that means there's only one connector, but these Thermalright coolers appear to just provide you with two 100% physically/mechanically separate fans.
this is the way , completely correct two physically and separate fans , but assumption would be that they could have been linked to the chasis smart Hub which is 5 v 3 pin , but they also come with 4pin 12 v , so what’s the point in both options :shrug

but if you have to connect of of the cpu fan header how do you do that with only 4 pin mb connectors
You don't. The CPU fan header is only for the 4-pin PWM which powers the fan(s).

The ARGB/RGB headers are separate, coolers usually have these cables optional and you can choose to have no lighting if you wish. Very advanced coolers might have an option to control the RGB/ARGB themselves, e.g. via buttons.

If your cooler only has 4-pin PWM to power the fans then you don't appear to have an RGB/ARGB model with lighting.

but assumption would be that they could have been linked to the chasis smart Hub which is 5 v 3 pin , but they also come with 4pin 12 v , so what’s the point in both options :shrug
I don't know exactly what this is, can you please clarify what it belongs to? Is it part of your case?

You don't. The CPU fan header is only for the 4-pin PWM which powers the fan(s).

The ARGB/RGB headers are separate, coolers usually have these cables optional and you can choose to have no lighting if you wish. Very advanced coolers might have an option to control the RGB/ARGB themselves, e.g. via buttons.

If your cooler only has 4-pin PWM to power the fans then you don't appear to have an RGB/ARGB model with lighting.

I don't know exactly what this is, can you please clarify what it belongs to? Is it part of your case?
Sorry I meant the 4 pin pwm

So you’re saying the four pin provides only power to fan and the 3 pin is only for the Argb/rgb lighting ?

However if I power a fan of the cpu cooler fan header , it runs , if I then link the 3 pin to the chasis argb 3 pin header , no light ,

But still same issue no lights on fans ( not fussy about that) but no boot it would seem ?

:update /edit

Success

Used header 1 header cpu fan
Used header 2 fan / wp
Used y split to chasis hub on 3 pin

All working and all sync lighting

Now to kick the kid of ps5 so I can see if we have lift off to bios

Last edited:
So you’re saying the four pin provides only power to fan and the 3 pin is only for the Argb/rgb lighting ?
Well, the manual says the ARGB 5v 3-pin (I'm being specific because fans also have 3-pin headers that do fan power) is only for controlling the ARGB/RGB.

When they say controlling, they might be implying that it can get power from the 4 pin PWM, you just can't control the lighting, but I think that depends on the cooler, since I know that some(most?) coolers just don't power the lighting at all if you don't connect their RGB/ARGB cable.

if I then link the 3 pin to the chasis argb 3 pin header , no light
If the motherboard is controlling it and the motherboard defaults to ARGB off, then that might be normal, but with no boot that's hard to say right now.

Back
Top Bottom