New system for my lad

Just to note, first boot on AM5 can take awhile so don't panic if things don't immediately happen. The system will power up and you'll see fans spinning etc, but it could take as long as 15-20 mins before things start moving.

Booting up after that point will be more in line with what you're used to with other systems, the first time you do with AM5 it needs to figure out how to use your RAM.

There's a few good video guides out there for AM5 that might be helpful to you, but otherwise take your time and just enjoy the process. @ben1987 advising to install a lot of the components prior to putting things in the case is excellent advice, pop the motherboard on a clean wood surface or even just on top of the box it came in (do not put the anti-static bag under it).

With the Phantom Spirit heatsink, what I'd personally do is install the mounting bracket as per the instructions and then after you've put the motherboard in the case and all other components/wiring etc are in place mount the big lumpy tower cooler to the bracket.

Frankly, people go wild about the perfect way to apply paste but for 98% of users it doesn't matter as long as there's enough coverage between the IHS/CPU and heatsink.
Thanks gray , much appreciated , I will do that most likely .

What is IHS ?

Have another question , and may be something that will cost me more , my lad wants to use
I’ve always done a pea size bit of paste in the middle. Never bothered spreading.

I place the mobo on its box and build as much as possible before it goes into the case

So
CPU
Storage
Ram
Cooler

Into the case
PSU and some of the wiring
Gpu
Finish off wiring
cheers Ben

Been thinking today ,

1. Is there a best monitor cable to connect to card ? As have not opened card yet , as waiting on ram arriving this afternoon !

2. My lad wants to use his ps 5 controller on his rig , is this best just don’t with a usb connection , or do I need a usb Bluetooth dongle ?

3 . Getting a bit nervous now :-/ one delivery away

4 does the PS come with a kettle lead , as again not opened it either , but if it does not is there a best one to buy

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom