New World MMO

Associate
Request for Open Beta now open on Steam. You have to go to the actual Store Page to see it listed.

I've yet to have an email but only requested an hour ago.

EDIT - Beta added to my list - about an hour and a half after requested. 39Gb download.

Last edited:
Associate
Played for a couple of hours, very impressed so far. Going to play another couple now :D.

The UI is beautiful, the combat feels good and the crafting seems very smooth and intuitive. The graphics aren bad either ;) .

Looks good for a release in 3 weeks or so!

Soldato
Made a fortune from fishing today, listed about 30 gems for 100 each on the market. Could have made a ton more but there was only the starter missions on the town board, and not many people grinding them.

Associate
Did you play the Alpha or closed beta whatever it was a month or so ago?

I did not, just finished my second session and I'm very, very impressed. This game is amazing, can't wait for launch. I played up until the first faction quest and called it, don't want to spoil anything more for now so I will hold off to launch.

Experienced a couple of bugs with audio cutting out and one not being able to attack but relogging solved both!

Made a fortune from fishing today, listed about 30 gems for 100 each on the market. Could have made a ton more but there was only the starter missions on the town board, and not many people grinding them.

Fishing feels so good in this game, it's so intuitive and smooth.

Man of Honour
I gave it another shot last night (I did play the closed beta) and its still not for me. Still too lacking for an MMO in my book. I do think it would make a very good co-op crafting/survival game with a few tweaks (like a Conan Exiles sort of a game) but as an MMO I find it too shallow. As MMOs are my favourite genre I will keep an eye on it, as I do with all MMOs, and see how it fares.

Soldato
The game feels a bit confusing whether it's meant to be pve or pvp. There's quite a few abilities which would be useful in pvp but feel like a wet noodle in pve setting. Some take longer than a light attack with only say 110% weapon damage so they feel like being dps negative over just spamming light attacks.

Associate
The weapon skills get better with passives and there are some combo's that really open them up (like stacking bleeds with the rapier).

I would say that the early game doesn't really matter what skills you have (and there's unlimited free weapon respec until mastery lvl 10). It's not until later levels that you start to see bigger mob pulls and so just try whatever skill you like (and respec to try the others).

The game feels a bit confusing whether it's meant to be pve or pvp. There's quite a few abilities which would be useful in pvp but feel like a wet noodle in pve setting. Some take longer than a light attack with only say 110% weapon damage so they feel like being dps negative over just spamming light attacks.

I won't debate the direction but having to spec for PvE or PvP is pretty standard. You can't be a master of all and games shouldn't cater to 'easy mode' where people just roll the same meta builds. It's probably a bit shortsighted and depends on your gameplay. Nothing wrong with going heavy single target DPS to burn down mobs in PvE or hunt the backline healers in PvP or going full AoE to smash groups over time.

Associate
Only put an hour in so haven't seen anything obvious.

Release notes show a number of fixes and a few tweaks.
https://forums.newworld.com/t/open-beta-2021-update-release-notes/220580

One notable change is a bit of a nerf to the paladin style character going heavy focus/con/armour and slotting an amber gem to get the damage back on their weapon without speccing into the primary stat.
There's definitely things that have changed which aren't mentioned in the release notes...one notable is the respawn feature is removed and thus the death warp mechanic can no longer be used to travel large distances on death and take advantage of camp placement to act as a bridge.

Associate
Had a couple of hours on it last night for the first time, seems like this could be my kind of game. I'm not massively into MMOs but do enjoy the grindy aspects to them as well as the random events that bring players together, the PvP looks like it could be pretty fun out in the open world. I prefer the simpler skill bars as well, I always feel a bit overwhelmed having so many skills on multiple bars, I enjoyed ESO on that point and this feels similar so far.

I'm in two minds whether to continue forward in the Beta or not, I'm only at the first town and haven't even joined a faction yet, but kind of want to leave it for now so that is fresh on release. Another part wants to keep playing and learning more things though...

Associate
The combat is just awful , lacks weight , clunky and not very satisfying and so boring , the crafting looks interesting and the world looks good though.

i enjoyed the combat nice change from wow style combat and its a similar style to valheim

looking forward to new world after a few hours on the beta just preordered it 1st game ive ever preordered

Associate
Ignore the streamers, most of them spout waffle to get views and don't understand the game.

A lot of them jump to conclusions based on tiny pieces of information. Many of them were convinced we'd see a void gauntlet before release as well as the daggers and blunderbuss. They take information and distort it to fit their clickbait titles. Not to say they're all like that, just usually the fools that have sheep following them from other games. Sethphir and DukeSloth put out good stuff with a balanced view of what information is available.

Yes the game might be buggy but the version we see in open beta is likely to be a number of iterations out-of-date already. It does appear whatever has been put out has introduced some new issues for some people though.

Man of Honour
Ignore the streamers, most of them spout waffle to get views and don't understand the game.

A lot of them jump to conclusions based on tiny pieces of information. Many of them were convinced we'd see a void gauntlet before release as well as the daggers and blunderbuss. They take information and distort it to fit their clickbait titles. Not to say they're all like that, just usually the fools that have sheep following them from other games. Sethphir and DukeSloth put out good stuff with a balanced view of what information is available.

Yes the game might be buggy but the version we see in open beta is likely to be a number of iterations out-of-date already. It does appear whatever has been put out has introduced some new issues for some people though.

I highly doubt that Amazon will delay it again anyway, even if it did need it, it would turn it all into a laughing stock if they delayed yet again. It will release now at the end of the month no matter what issues some people are having. FYI though, one of the streamers who thought it might get delayed again was Fextralife and given that he is one of the leading streamers (possibly even THE leading streamer) for New World its probably unfair to suggest that he doesnt understand the game :D

Moot point though because as I say its too late in the day now for another delay.

Back
Top Bottom