New World MMO

Associate
The only problem with that logic is that if every game used the excuse "well other games dont do it any better than ours, so that means ours is fine" then no genre would ever advance. Any game, in any genre, should improve (or at least attempt to) the genre, not simply wave the its the same questing as others flag.

You are right in that most MMOs, not all, but most have simple kill/fetch quests in them but that simply doesnt just automatically give a new game a pass to do the same, not in my book.

Having said that, this line of debate is a bit of a pointless one. New World is a very marmite MMO, there are those who love it and wont hear criticism against it and there are those who dont like it and wont hear a good word about it and nothing said on here by anyone in this thread is going to sway a person to change their stance. I'm very much taking the Cohhcarnage stance on New World as it mirrors my own thoughts on it. Which is that there are two interesting numbers revolving around New World, the first being how many players it has in its 1st month and the second being how many players it has on Dec 31st. Those are the numbers I will be keeping an eye on.

I'm in the middle, what I played in Beta was OK, still needs a lot of work but was fun to a certain degree. I certainly don't think its the best thing since sliced bread. Or think its a steaming pile of dog mess. I think it will have its own following but it will be a game that a lot of people will revisit every time there is a major update announced for it. Its certainly no WoW killer or repalcement.

Associate
I have no idea what WoW is like these days, but love it or hate it, WoW has made MMORPG's what they are today and brought them into mainstream media.

I had seen a video which mentioned how some people have spent so much time invested in WoW that even if it turns to rubbish they couldn't fathom leaving that significant part of their life behind and their 'friends' therein.

Associate
I have no idea what WoW is like these days, but love it or hate it, WoW has made MMORPG's what they are today and brought them into mainstream media.

I had seen a video which mentioned how some people have spent so much time invested in WoW that even if it turns to rubbish they couldn't fathom leaving that significant part of their life behind and their 'friends' therein.
I can understand why tbh I spent ~10 years playing wow and I quit a few years ago and tbh I still miss some of the people I was friends with and played with daily. The social aspect of WoW back in the day was amazing.

My main issue with MMOs is the lack of content / direction they either have little to no content when they first come out or they have no idea in what direction they want to go for example look at new world it was originally a PvP only mmo now they are wanting to slap pve content into the game which means either the PvP side will be dead in the water because PvErs will moan about being ganked or PvP players will moan at the lack of PvP content over PvE even wows PvP scene is dead

Man of Honour

Becoming mainstream has been both the best thing and the worst thing to happen to MMOs, its no big surprise that imo the best 3 MMOs ever were Ultima Online, EQ and DAOC and all 3 came out before WoW (LONG before in the case of UO and EQ). WoW is what happens when you invite the average call of duty player to play Squad/Post Scriptum/Hell Let Loose :)

Soldato
There will never be a WOW killer I'm sure of that. How do you improve on it without copying it? WOW absolutely nailed it at a time that was absolutely perfect for it's release.

I usually said the same but the last 2 years I'm starting to change my mind. WoW is coming up to 20 years old and has slowly but surely been in decline since Cata. It's not the big juggernaut it's been for so long and I won't be surprised to see the next big thing sometime this decade. I don't think it'll be New World in it's current form but with time something bigger and better eventually comes along.

Soldato
Becoming mainstream has been both the best thing and the worst thing to happen to MMOs, its no big surprise that imo the best 3 MMOs ever were Ultima Online, EQ and DAOC and all 3 came out before WoW (LONG before in the case of UO and EQ). WoW is what happens when you invite the average call of duty player to play Squad/Post Scriptum/Hell Let Loose :)

Oh how I miss EverQuest.

At least Pantheon isn't too far away, hopefully it will recapture some of that magic.

Soldato
i would put guild wars 2 in that bracket of best mmo made

Soldato
I usually said the same but the last 2 years I'm starting to change my mind. WoW is coming up to 20 years old and has slowly but surely been in decline since Cata. It's not the big juggernaut it's been for so long and I won't be surprised to see the next big thing sometime this decade. I don't think it'll be New World in it's current form but with time something bigger and better eventually comes along.
I am gunna get shot down and abused by this but IMO, Star Citizen will be that NEXT BIG MMO within the next 5 years.

This is of course my opinion

Soldato

I do understand your points, completely agree. While WOW isn't quite as strong as it was decades ago its the the most successful MMORPG of all time and still has the biggest flushed out world and features of any later released MMO. How do you improve on something that ticked every box so strongly without copying its formula but tweaking it slightly just to say you didn't copy WOW. Nothing will ever see the success and mass worldwide hype and subscriptions like WOW did. We won't see a game like that again I doubt, trends and fashions are different now, kids like different things etc. There aren't any new groundbreaking ideas that wouldn't have been tried by new MMORPG's.

Permabanned
I am gunna get shot down and abused by this but IMO, Star Citizen will be that NEXT BIG MMO within the next 5 years.

you may be right .. if only it came out of beta and stopped milking people .. eve was great at the start .. but failed along the way .. played wow for 30 mins .. never again lol ..
the thing is do people want a game they have to spend hrs and hrs playing to get anywhere now ? i'm thinking not

Soldato

You never know but for me I don't believe it will. For starters having ships cost thousands of dollars is silly.

I do understand your points, completely agree. While WOW isn't quite as strong as it was decades ago its the the most successful MMORPG of all time and still has the biggest flushed out world and features of any later released MMO. How do you improve on something that ticked every box so strongly without copying its formula but tweaking it slightly just to say you didn't copy WOW. Nothing will ever see the success and mass worldwide hype and subscriptions like WOW did. We won't see a game like that again I doubt, trends and fashions are different now, kids like different things etc. There aren't any new groundbreaking ideas that wouldn't have been tried by new MMORPG's.

WoW took many of the best features from MMO's before it and no doubt the next big thing will take many qualities from them including WoW. I don't think the wheel needs to be reinvented in the MMO universe we just need something to pull us in as WoW once did or as some of the older MMOs before it. Easier said than done :)

Associate
I'm in the middle, what I played in Beta was OK, still needs a lot of work but was fun to a certain degree. I certainly don't think its the best thing since sliced bread. Or think its a steaming pile of dog mess. I think it will have its own following but it will be a game that a lot of people will revisit every time there is a major update announced for it. Its certainly no WoW killer or repalcement.

To me its deffo the WoW killer, but that is a personal preference.

WoW started to go off in 3.5.5 and finished in MOP for me.

This game brings me exactly what i wanted from a game, as long as they bring out content I'll be happy playing this game on a daily with friends... even if its just world PvP as PvP is my main thing

Associate
There will never be a WoW killer because the WoW addicts will never leave it and there will always be a strong player base.

I think New World should do pretty well as it isn't a hardcore grindy fest or a force PvP gankers paradise (of which the customer base for that is actually tiny despite the vocal community). New World should be quite good for casuals and without having to commit to a monthly subscription is something that people can dip in and out of.

I generally play for PvP so there is a little concern with that content for me but we'll see how it pans out. I'm pretty sure on those few minutes between meetings I'll be fishing in New World.. :D

Soldato
You never know but for me I don't believe it will. For starters having ships cost thousands of dollars is silly.

WoW took many of the best features from MMO's before it and no doubt the next big thing will take many qualities from them including WoW. I don't think the wheel needs to be reinvented in the MMO universe we just need something to pull us in as WoW once did or as some of the older MMOs before it. Easier said than done :)

Yup WOW absolutely did improve on the already great UO and EQ, another reason why a WOW beater is very unlikely, its already the pinnacle. How many years have MMORPGs had to take its crown with all previous titles there to be improved on. I just think it's fine to compare any MMORPG to WOW as it's the greatest in the genre, but for anyone to be disappointed at any game not being a WOW beater is a bit foolish. That'll only end up in disappointment.

Man of Honour
I just think it's fine to compare any MMORPG to WOW as it's the greatest in the genre

To be fair though, on a personal level, thats subjective. I absolutely dont think that WoW is the greatest MMO in the genre (as mentioned before, I put UO, EQ and Daoc all above WoW, you can also add pre-tweak SWG as better than WoW too) , though of course if we base "greatest" on the number of subscribers then WoW would be up there (though still not the highest)

Soldato
if we base "greatest" on the number of subscribers then WoW would be up there (though still not the highest)

What other MMO had higher subs than peak WoW WotLK?

Does anyone think films like LOTR helped wow success? Bow and arrows, orcs, swords etc seemed a stronger genre back in lots days. I miss it a lot tbh.

I don't think so. I moved from Diablo 2, the other stuff for me was coincidence.

I do remember a lot of Legolas, Night Elves back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom