New World MMO

Soldato
Not much solace for those poor sods whose cards are now nothing but insanely expensive paperweights.

There's a lot of people on reddit blaming the cards poor cooling design and optimisation within it's BIOS (esp on the EVGA card) putting the blame on the card rather than New World or Driver problems. There will be a long wait but RMAing it should sort it.

It had to happen to a card named For The Win.

Associate
I don't get why this game is killing GPUs when MS Flight Simulator 2020 also has uncapped framerates on menu and loading screens? The fans in my PC spin up like crazy when I fire up flight sim, does New World have especially graphics heavy loading screens?

Soldato
Just put in 5 hours solid on my 3090 and not a hitch.

As for the game.... Oh boy, this is right up my street, I love the grind in games and this is a very grindy MMO! Loving it so far. And nothing is fed to you on a platter like WoW so you actually have to use your brain.

What I do find, this is damn CPU heavy... My CPU is normally 10C or more lower than my GPU for most, if not all games I play. Here is some temps of my GPU, CPU and liquid over the course of playing the game (res is 3840x1600, I had everything max in the game and average fps was 100 out and about but got down to the 60's when in towns).

XAKhrsq.png

Last edited:
Associate
wow tried this on my 3080 FE tonight.

Capped at 70fps, 300W / 1.1v power draw, core was getting to around 80C quickly. Thankfully I've modded my VRAM cooling so that was low.

Capped to 30fps the draw is 99W / 0.8V

Something is up.

played some more last night on the 3090FE and yeah something is off with the draw. I'll try 30fps cap tonight to see if it still wants to draw crazy amounts.

I've got a hell of a lot of airflow in my rig so it's not getting hot but it does have me worried. Think i best see what the Vram temps are getting to.

Pet Northerner
Don
played some more last night on the 3090FE and yeah something is off with the draw. I'll try 30fps cap tonight to see if it still wants to draw crazy amounts.

I've got a hell of a lot of airflow in my rig so it's not getting hot but it does have me worried. Think i best see what the Vram temps are getting to.

I've narrowed it down to the main menu. I never actually got into a server last night due to queues etc but this morning I got in straight away, so I moved the fps cap back to 60 and the power draw seemed ok (233W / 1v) for the ~50% utilization

In the menu the utilization goes up (probably because of the background) and at the same 60fps, the usage is 266W / 1.1v.

This causes the GPU usage to spike up a little, the core to get hotter and the fans needing to do more. I imagine people queueing for hours with the extra juice are effectively mining and in rigs not set up for the constantly higher GPU power draw.

The easiest fix would be when you go to log into a server, a static picture becomes the background (with a low fps lock like 10), with the queue in front of that.

Associate
So far it's enjoyable but missing some QoL features.

- Random starting locations, which lock you in quest hubs. Makes playing with friends hard.

- so far not seen any open world / quest group missions? The quest boards list type as 'Solo' so was expecting to see some group ones appear when you join a party.

Associate
k7sqazfljnc71.png

Soldato
Actually starting to take interest in this the more I hear about it. I don't think a full blown MMO would be good for me right now though

It's not a full blown MMO really. There's a big grind in crafting and levelling but a lot of the game is a much more simplistic MMO. Its still so much fun though, lovely for a jump in for a few hours and jump out.

Man of Honour
Is the beta world map the whole gameworld, or is it a reduced/restricted world size just for the beta? I heard it was around the same world size as Skyrim? Which seems a bit small for an MMO so I wondered if it was limited for beta

Back
Top Bottom