Newcastle takeover???

Don
This is the last thing I’m going to say on the matter as I’m now finished with football in it’s current guise, I truly hope the top 6 clubs now disappear and form the European super league totally decimating and destroying the Premier League
All because the PL wouldn't wave through a sale to a state that has a horrendous human rights record including executing hundreds of people per year, decapitating journalists that criticise them, torturing and forcefully taking assets from whoever they choose and have been pirating content from the very league they want to be part of, costing the league hundreds of millions of pounds?

I get that you're only looking at it from a purely selfish point of view but try to look at the bigger picture - Saudi is a horrific state and it's not a bad thing that they've been prevented from using a PL club to whitewash all the horrific things they've done and still do.

Man of Honour
All because the PL wouldn't wave through a sale to a state that has a horrendous human rights record including executing hundreds of people per year, decapitating journalists that criticise them, torturing and forcefully taking assets from whoever they choose and have been pirating content from the very league they want to be part of, costing the league hundreds of millions of pounds?

I get that you're only looking at it from a purely selfish point of view but try to look at the bigger picture - Saudi is a horrific state and it's not a bad thing that they've been prevented from using a PL club to whitewash all the horrific things they've done and still do.

Agreed. I understand the frustration of Newcastle fans but ultimately this would have been a bad thing for the league.

Mike Ashley being a bad owner in terms of investment shouldn't necessarily open the door for an evil regime to get involved with the league. Nobody wants that.

Soldato
There appears to be black and white dummies flying everywhere, I for one am glad that this fell through as it was a sad day for football when City were bought but to have another Arab state as owners artificially inflating the market and making it even more a rich owners playground would've made it the final nail in footballs coffin for me.

Newcastle must be one of the favourites for relegation next season as someone has already mentioned Ashley will be looking at Saint-Maxim with £ signs and none of that will be re-invested, must also look bleak for Longstaff's contract renewal.

Soldato
Ashley should seriously consider my offer of £13.10p in tender which he can exchange at the BoE, then I can get all the hate instead for selling the assets.

Associate

They're an oil rich nation!

I've been buying petrol for over 25 years at this point and not once have I heard the words "Is this fuel ethically sourced".

We'll buy they're oil, sell them weapons (finance and support they're evil regime), but draw the line at selling them football teams! It might just be my selfish, ****** off mentality speaking, but I think that's ******* ridiculous!

Soldato

I've been buying petrol for over 25 years at this point and not once have I heard the words "Is this fuel ethically sourced".

We'll buy they're oil, sell them weapons (finance and support they're evil regime), but draw the line at selling them football teams! It might just be my selfish, ****** off mentality speaking, but I think that's ******* ridiculous!

The government dont make the call by the way.

Don

You're right, the government selling arms to Saudi is an awful thing but that's not the PL doing it.

I bet in over 25 years you've also not heard one person spew Saudi propaganda, change their twitter pic to one of MBS, take up a campaign against beIN, Qatar as a whole and even Richard Keys, all because they've put Saudi oil in their car. Football clubs are, or at least should be, an extension of the community and they shouldn't be allowed to be used by individuals or nations as political tools. Even without completing the purchase of Newcastle, half the fan base are now Saudi apologists. Sportswashing works.

Throw in the fact that the Saudi's have been stealing the League's IP for years and I'm not sure how anybody could honestly say they believe the takeover should have been allowed to go through. Not even our government would sell the Saudi's arms if they were being used against us!

Soldato
Not even our government would sell the Saudi's arms if they were being used against us!

I wouldn't be so confident of that. The current lot are a shower of cack and I really wouldn't put it past them. Some of the other guff they've come out with recently shows they don't know what they're on about. As does putting forward Chris (I can't make the trains run) Grayling for an intelligence and defence critical position. God help us if this lot are the best we can find to run this nation.

Don
Newcastle supporters are going to have to find somebody else to blame for the takeover not going through. Richard Masters confirmed in a letter to a MP that the PL didn't even get to looking at any possible disqualifying factors, whether that be the piracy or human rights issues. The takeover ultimately broke down because the PL determined that the Saudi state would have a controlling interest and as such they would have to be part of the owners and directors test. PIF, Stavely etc disputed this and would not provide the League with the information they requested to carry out the tests. Masters has confirmed that to resolve this issue the League even offered the group the opportunity to have an independent arbitrator decide on the matter but this wasn't taken up by them and they withrew.

Associate
You can't have an independent arbitration without a decision being made. The Saudi Royal(High) Court advised that PIF are a completely separate entity and completely autonomous (whether that's true or not no-one knows). To be fair they have played this right, waiting for either party to withdraw without making a decision. It can only be the Premier league's fault nobody else can be to blame.

Don
The PL didn't reject the takeover. They determined that the Saudi state would be shadow directors and as such wanted more information that the Saudi's wouldn't provide. The Saudi's also refused the PL's offer to have the decision (that the Saudi state would be shadow directors) independently arbitrated and withdrew.

Associate
The PL didn't reject the takeover. They determined that the Saudi state would be shadow directors and as such wanted more information that the Saudi's wouldn't provide. The Saudi's also refused the PL's offer to have the decision (that the Saudi state would be shadow directors) independently arbitrated and withdrew.

Well both Newcastle and Staveley said the premier league rejected the deal. They also said the Saudi High Court gave assurances that PIF were autonomous. Somebody is lying. The Prem didn't help themselves when they came out and said 'We didn't reject the deal, we made no decision and all board members had a say in that' If there was no decision made then why would Masters say all members had an equal say?

If Ashley has instructed lawyers then he must have a valid reason to do so, as we all know how tight he is and would just fritter money away.

Soldato
We will see what was really said In court, how can you have arbitration then the PL refused to make a decision hoping that the PIF would walk away. I wouldn’t believe a word the PL said TBH masters is as corrupt as they come. I really don’t think some of the top sports lawyers in the land would take in the case if they hadn’t seen the evidence and thought they would lose, I really hope this costs the PL millions

Back
Top Bottom