Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Caporegime
Yeah I be interested to hear people's thoughts on the update as now I am strongly considering getting one instead of the GS 7, all of android N new features are looking superb and with the gs 6 only getting MM now, I don't want to be waiting months for this update...

Soldato
I recently bought one a Nexus 5x to replace my Nexus 5 and it's been mostly positive but at the same time it's not much of a leap forward from the 2013 model.

Pros
+ The fingerprint scanner is awesome and much better than having to constantly type in a PIN code!
+ It holds signal MUCH better than my Nexus 5. I get better 4G signal now and it can easily pick up a clear signal where my 5 would drop calls and the network connection completely.
+ The camera is way better and actually focuses in low light now. Much sharper pics too
+ The battery life it noticeably better (~50%) in my experience.
+ General day to day performance is marginally better IME but not noticeably quicker than the Nexus 5
+ Personally I think the position of the headphone jack on the bottom and the placement of the volume/power buttons are much easier to use compared to the 5.

Cons
- The build of the phone feels inferior. It has a sharp edge along the side and generally feels cheaper than the previous 2013 model.
- The display is good but has a slight yellower tinge to the whites and I actually think my previous phone looked a bit better.
- I'm finding that the phone is noticeably less comfortable to hold and use with one hand. I think the 5.2" display is actually too big for me personally and makes the phone too wide. The bezels at the top/bottom don't help either.

Those are my thoughts after using it for a couple of days. Kind of a mixed bag and I'm unsure whether to keep the phone or return it and go back to my Nexus 5 for now? I want to stick with a Nexus handset (and I think the 5X is borderline too big so wouldn't even consider a 6P) so it's either hang onto this or wait until later in the year to see if the promised HTC Nexus handset appears when Android N is launched.

Not sure. Will give it a couple more days and see if the 5X grows on me :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Would any of you 5X owners like a free Spigen thin fit case in White?

I bought it back in December but ended up sending my 5X back, its been opened and attached to the phone to try but its basically new. I don't want anything for it but have had it sat here in a box gathering dust ever since, it was fairly cheap but still seems a waste. Anyone?

Soldato
Had a weird issue where my battery decided to drain mega quickly today for some reason? Normally I can get to 6pm on about 50% charge but today for some reason it dropped to 25%. Had a look at the battery chart but screen time was only around 45 minutes and there's no obvious sign of any apps draining the battery?

Anyone else had the same issue?

Soldato
Had a weird issue where my battery decided to drain mega quickly today for some reason? Normally I can get to 6pm on about 50% charge but today for some reason it dropped to 25%. Had a look at the battery chart but screen time was only around 45 minutes and there's no obvious sign of any apps draining the battery?

Anyone else had the same issue?

Sounds possibly the same as an issue I had when I had one of these for a while. It was fine when I first got it and then it just started draining for no apparent reason, the battery stats didn't show anything using the power and I was even loosing a large chunk while in airplane mode over night. I tried a couple of things suggested online but never really worked out why it was happening, but a factory reset fixed it.

Soldato
Sounds possibly the same as an issue I had when I had one of these for a while. It was fine when I first got it and then it just started draining for no apparent reason, the battery stats didn't show anything using the power and I was even loosing a large chunk while in airplane mode over night. I tried a couple of things suggested online but never really worked out why it was happening, but a factory reset fixed it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give the factory reset a shot. Did you need to remove the previously installed apps to fix the issue and did you restore from a recent Google device backup or just start afresh?

Soldato
Struggling to remember but I think I restored from my Nexus 4 again as I'd only upgraded from that about a week before. I did remove quite a few apps though so can't rule out that one of them was causing an issue, but none were shown to be using the battery up.

Edit - actually think I may well have done a fresh setup.

Last edited:
Soldato
Struggling to remember but I think I restored from my Nexus 4 again as I'd only upgraded from that about a week before. I did remove quite a few apps though so can't rule out that one of them was causing an issue, but none were shown to be using the battery up.

Edit - actually think I may well have done a fresh setup.

Done the reset so we'll see how it goes. I was trying to think of things I did before experiencing the battery drain. 2 things that stand out are pairing the device over bluetooth to my car radio (though I did this with my previous Nexu 5 and it never caused an issue) and copying a bunch of video files into the movies folder so I had stuff to watch on the bus to work.

I'm actually wondering if copying the video files caused the phone to constantly scan/read the folder or something weird like that as it seems unlikely the bluetooth sync would cause such rapid drain. Especially as it still happened when I turned bluetooth itself off through the day.

Soldato
Not to say it couldn't have been that, but I didn't do either of those things. I'd done nothing with mine really, some apps had probably auto updated but apart from that, and it was particularly odd that I'd loose a load overnight with airplane mode on, normally loose 1% at most like that. I had an issue with an app draining my battery some time back but on that occasion it would show in the battery stats.

Soldato
Think I've tracked down the culprit and it's looking like the Facebook app is the cause of the epic battery drain. After the reset fixed the battery issue I entered my login details back into all the apps I use and the battery life dropped to around 20-30% at the end of the day with next to no use.

I un-installed facebook and my battery life right now about 12 hours after unplugging it this morning is still at 85%. I don't know what the Facebook app is doing behind the scenes, as it isn't showing up in the battery usage indicator, but having it installed more than halves my phones battery life?

I've replaced the app with a link to the mobile version of the website which basically has all the functionality in the app anyway. If anyone else on here is experiencing issues I'd recommend removing Facebook and seeing if it makes a difference.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
At least you found the culprit though. There was a new update to the app today. Not sure if it would help. It's strange that it doesn't happen for all of us. Maybe an app conflict?

Soldato
Yeah, it would be nice to run the app but I'll give it a couple of days and see how I feel about it as the mobile page seems to offer all the functionality of the app other than integrated notifications/messenger chat so it's no great loss removing the app.

It does concern me that an app can drain the battery so badly and yet not be visible in the battery usage stats. Also makes me wonder exactly what it's doing behind the scenes as it I have loads of oher apps installed and none of them exhibit similar issues.

Soldato
Glad you've found the cause, although that definitely wasn't the case when I had my issue as uninstalling Facebook was one of the things I tried. So I guess a different cause, but as long as you know what it is now. :)

Associate
Just ordered one of these to replace my broken N5. Bought from *buyer for £274 with free nextday & quid.co of 2% back it seemed a no brainer ! I did look at buying from these overseas sellers but warranty seemed sketchy at best & also getting a 2 pin charger was also a put off.

I was going to get the bendy N6p but after viewing it in CPW I couldn't justify the size & the money !
I did look at the Note 5 or the SG6 but stock android & regular updates have me hooked !

Soldato
I was going to get the bendy N6p but after viewing it in CPW I couldn't justify the size & the money !
I did look at the Note 5 or the SG6 but stock android & regular updates have me hooked !

I'm pretty happy with mine which was an upgrade from my Nexus 5 as well. I did think about the 6P but several of my friends who've bought phablets (Galaxy Notes, iPhone Plus) say they regret their decision to buy the larger (~6") phones and would opt for a smaller model (~5") next time round.

Hopefully next time round we'll be able to buy a top tier Nexus phone with closer to a 5" display as I'd happily have paid the extra for the Nexus 6P if they'd offered it with a smaller screen and the same specs. A smaller phone would probably be less bendy as well :)

Even the 5x is a bit awkward to use on occasion one handed in a way I never found the Nexus 5 to be. 5" is definitely around the sweetspot for a handset IMO. I think phablets will begin to fall out of fashion when people start realising that.......

Last edited:
Soldato
My girlfriend has a Nexus 5X and last night discovered the screen has a crack running horizontally across it although it still functions.

She hasn't dropped it and treats it well. Has anyone else suffered a cracked screen for no apparent reason?

Back
Top Bottom