Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Associate
I got my N5x yesterday.

Anyone else feel a bit underwhelmed with it coming from a Nexus 5 ???

My niggles are -
Vibration : It's the worse ever vibration I've felt, it's more noise than feedback.
Speaker : It's very tinny & low volume, the worst thing about it is the distortion even when at low volumes. The ringtones distort to the point of an uncomfortable hearing, it's a lacklustre attempt at a speaker.
Voice speaker : Again ! No meat to the tone, you can hear the recipient OK but it's just not as good as the N5 or other phones I've used.
Chrome lag : Some forums seem to be like a rubber band, I know this is down to some of the ad's & pictures loading up but my old N5 did this smoothly (before anyone asked I've got all the updates Inc the March one that fixes the lag)
Camera hump : The large hump from the back is annoying, it's going to get bashed as marked. I'm a phone user that like a mobile without cases, the reviews & photos I seen didn't match the mountain on the back, it's like a massive annoying white head on a face that you keep touching. Other phones I don't have this hump, the old N5 had a metal ring around it that was protruding but not as bad as this !
Headphone port : My finger(s) keeps catching the egde of the port, it's not bad but enough for me constantly adjust my holding style.
Grills : I've only had it for a day & it's not been in my pocket yet but it's already getting bits in the top & bottom grills.

There are parts of the phone I do like-
Screen (even the warmth of stock).
Size over the N5, I don't find myself looking over my glasses like an old person.
The feel of the plastic.
Finger print reader.
Camera.
Button placements (I may have issues later with car mounts)
5 app placements on the home screen (didn't have this on my N5)

Not sure if I'm going to send it back yet, will give it after the Easter break !
My only option really is the Nexus 6p...

Soldato
It comes in this month's security update. The bug fixes are incorporated with it.

I've noticed an issue where links in email notifications aren't clickable. I had to copy and paste the link from the overclockers email notification for this thread. Any way to sort this?

Soldato
I'm not sure if it's only overclockers notifications that aren't allowing me to click links or not.
A Google search suggests it has been an ongoing issue. It only has happened since I wiped me phone two days ago.

It also only has this issue with my hotmail account in the Gmail app. My Gmail account appears fine.
Is hotmail usually set up using the personal (IMAP) selection?

Associate
Thats a same, since i've updated i think my battery life has dropped (slightly), but i still need to reboot the phone once a week or so.

Sort it out google ;) dont make me switch to an s7 :)

On a brighter note i spent a couple of weeks trekking around eastern europe with this as my camera (ok i had an rx100 with me but never used it). Was very pleased with the pictures.

Soldato
My Gmail app issue appears to disappear when I remove the updates. Obviously it updated to the latest when I restored my phone. Guess I'll stick with the first instance of Gmail app for android 6.0 until another update appears.

Soldato
Just got a N5x to replace my old samsung S5.

1st thoughts.....

Arrrrrrrhhhhh - and relax. back to stock Android - the hateful bloat of the samsung is all gone.

Love:
The fingerprint sensor
Stock Android
The camera
Soft buttons

Dislikes:
The sharp edges to the volume and power buttons
Wish it had an SD card slot (I got the 32G model so hopefully not an issue

Such a relief to be back on Stock Android - had a Nexus4 for 3 years and loved it until it died. Should never have bought a S5.

Associate

1st thoughts.....

Arrrrrrrhhhhh - and relax. back to stock Android - the hateful bloat of the samsung is all gone.

Love:
The fingerprint sensor
Stock Android
The camera
Soft buttons

Dislikes:

Such a relief to be back on Stock Android - had a Nexus4 for 3 years and loved it until it died. Should never have bought a S5.

I have just ordered a 5x and am also going from a Galaxy s5 how are you getting on with the size difference I know its only a few mm but its also about balance

Caporegime
Just placed the order for a black 32GB 5x from amazon/smart tech electronics for £254

6p is just too big and the GS 7 with slow updates will annoy me :p

Still not really my ideal phone but I need a better camera + the nexus 5 won't be getting android N so hopefully this will do me until the next nexus devices.

I really hope I don't have any lag issues that others seem to have with this phone, not going to put up with a newer phone that will be slower/worse performing than my current one!

EDIT:

Cancelled my order with smart tech electronics, they seem to be based in USA....

Gone direct from amazon so paid £270 now

Last edited:
Caporegime
Arrived today and so far very nice, A LOT easier to use than the 6P but slight niggle, it is not finding the latest android updates, the latest update was in October 2015 :/

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Tried a factory reset too.

Associate

1st thoughts.....

Love:
The fingerprint sensor
Stock Android
The camera
Soft buttons

Dislikes:

nowadays more recent phones do not have expandable memory. that is the downside.

Caporegime
Got to say the screen on this is certainly very impressive!

Really like how this feels in the hand too.

If I don't encounter any lag/performance issues, I can see this lasting me until the next nexus devices in 2017.

The buttons are awful though, feel so horrible to press.

Caporegime
Seems to be others having issues with being stuck on October 2015 update too....

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/4evb6p/cant_update_stuck_on_android_60_and_november_1/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5x/668356-nexus-5x-can-t-find-ota-update.html#post5127005

So probably just an issue with google's servers.

This is seriously a good phone, I thought I was going to find it very meh in all honesty but been pleasantly surprised so far.... Feels much nicer than the n5 and much comfier than the 6P, as you would expect, not anywhere as premium though.

The screen is epic too although side by side with the 6P, it isn't as nice obviously.

Can't say I have had any performance issues so far, just as fast and smooth as the 6P although performance issues might kick in later on with more uptime....

And just like the 6P, the camera is superb.

The only thing that really lets it down big time are the buttons and the vibration motor.

Everything else is very nice, even the speaker is very good quality tbh, certainly a lot better than the n5 speaker, again, nowhere as good as the front facing stereo speakers though.

Hopefully the updates come through soon and then roll on pure android N :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom