Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Caporegime
The vibration has somewhat improved with that March update, still not keen on it tbh, not a deal breaker though.

Most likely to keep the price down, the speaker on the 5x certainly isn't as bad as what some people made out to be though.

Soldato
The vibration has somewhat improved with that March update, still not keen on it tbh, not a deal breaker though.

Most likely to keep the price down, the speaker on the 5x certainly isn't as bad as what some people made out to be though.

Your coming from a Nexus 5 though, so any screen and speaker improvements were inevitable :p

Caporegime
Your coming from a Nexus 5 though, so any screen and speaker improvements were inevitable :p

haha true that! :D I never really had a problem with the N5 screen tbh, it could definitely have done with some gamma adjustment though.

Even compared side by side with the 6P (with sRGB on), the 5x screen still holds it own very well, you really see the difference when it comes to the darker stuff in a lower lit/dark room though, obviously OLED and the infinite contrast ratio/true blacks being the main reason.

Just had a look at anandtechs review and the display did extremely well:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9742/the-google-nexus-5x-review/2

I really don't know what else to say about the Nexus 5X's display, because there's really nothing that can be criticized. I would certainly like if the brightness went up to 600 nits, but I would also prefer that it went to 6000 nits, and obviously that's asking a bit much. As far as LCDs go, the Nexus 5X has one of the best, if not the best that I've seen to date. At this point Google and their OEM partners are going to have to look to gamut as a vector of improvement, but only after proper color management is available at the OS level in order to avoid the problems that have plagued wider gamut displays, which have lacked suitable color management to properly map sRGB content into the wider color space.

Tried out the "cool" preset screen mode and don't notice too much of a difference, with android N supplying more screen calibration controls, we should be able to fine tune the little things a bit more.

Also, surprisingly the 5X actually has the exact same amount of screen real estate as the 6P despite the res. difference i.e. the same amount of content on web pages is displayed.

And yeah I always hated the N5 speaker with a passion, every thing about it was pretty bad, mainly the position (better than being on the back though), from initial reports of the 5X, a lot of people said it was no better than the n5 though but it is certainly a lot better even just for it being front facing, maybe google has improved it somewhat since launch...

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure why anyone would say it isn't really an improvement over the N5.
I switched back to my original N5 when I was away working in a dodgy country (theft reasons) and couldn't wait to get the 5X back.

Caporegime
Yup, it is a definite improvement in more or less every area over the n5, the only thing which is worse are the side buttons, at least on my device anyway. Can't say much about battery life yet though....

I hope the next nexus devices are the exact same and just different sizes, I do like the 5x a lot but the 6P is nicer without a doubt and worth the extra for the OLED screen + stereo speakers + build.

It is a shame that OEM devices are so bad for updates and their skins compared to stock android as it has limited me to solely nexus devices now :(

Soldato
I see what you are saying but coming from Samsung devices myself, I find the Nexus range better mostly (screen excluded)

I still have an annoying issue with the latest Gmail app and my hotmail account where I have to copy and paste a forum reply link into chrome. If I uninstall the updates and put Gmail app back to standard android 6.0 then it's sorted. That's my only gripe.

Soldato
Quick question to all you fellow Nexus owners. I've been looking to buy a pair of "bluetooth stereo earphones" primarily for listening to music and watching youtube on my phone though it would be handy if they had a built in Mic for hands-free calls. I've seen some cheap sets on the rainforest and auction sites for £10-20 which looked like they would do the trick but I've no experience of wireless earphones.

I often wear glasses so want the in-ear kind rather than anything with a headband or anything that clips over the ear as it would be awkward to next to the legs of my specs.

Are the cheap ones OK or does anyone have any suggestions for a pair that would work OK with my Nexus 5X?

Soldato
Quick question to all you fellow Nexus owners. I've been looking to buy a pair of "bluetooth stereo earphones" primarily for listening to music and watching youtube on my phone though it would be handy if they had a built in Mic for hands-free calls. I've seen some cheap sets on the rainforest and auction sites for £10-20 which looked like they would do the trick but I've no experience of wireless earphones.

I often wear glasses so want the in-ear kind rather than anything with a headband or anything that clips over the ear as it would be awkward to next to the legs of my specs.

Are the cheap ones OK or does anyone have any suggestions for a pair that would work OK with my Nexus 5X?
I bought a little Nokia BH-111 a while back which might be what you are looking for. Fairly cheap and you could use any in-ear headphones which take your fancy. Quite happy with mine, but i've a bucket load of different headphones/earphones so always changing but didn't have any issues with them and found them to be reasonably decent.

But the Nokia BH-121 might be a better pick with NFC and being more recent.

Soldato
Good photo. I quite like the Google photos app as it decided to do some modifications to photos of my snaps when I was in new York. I'll post the ones it decided to alter if I know how to post them here.

Soldato
What camera settings are best for low light photos. I tried taking some photos at a recent concert and they all came out 'speckly'! I've tried with and without flash/HDR but I'm not sure what would be best for low light?

Any tips or links to noobs guides would be appreciated!

Caporegime
Thanks michty. It is an incredible camera, it picks up more detail than what I can see with my own eyes! :p

You can always upload them to imgur and then post the bbcode link here and add a "h" before ".jpg" so it will resize them for the forum.

@silvagti

HDR+ for low light photos.

Saying that I use HDR+ for pretty much every scenario, google's HDR+ is the best there is imo, pretty much improves photos in all conditions and gives a natural untouched look unlike most other phones that are either over sharpened or/and have saturated colours etc. with "auto" settings.

Try to always use touch to focus as well, it helps especially with macro shots where you want a nice depth of field effect i.e.

G2kkDmjh.jpg

Shot on the 6P but it has the same camera as the 5x so :p

You could always improve it further by getting an app like manual camera and shooting in RAW then editing the photo under something like adobe lightroom or a 3rd party android app like snapseed.

Came across a thread earlier on xda where there is a modded version of the google camera to give all the features that the 6P has i.e. EIS (needs root), burst and 240fps slow motion....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/themes-apps/mod-google-camera-t3279714

It's a shame that google gimped the camera features on the 5x, as if there wasn't enough of a difference between the 6p and 5x already....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom