Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Soldato
Where's the cheapest place to buy one of these at the moment? My Nexus 5 has just croaked it and this is realistically the only thing I can think of as a replacement!

Associate
After much thought, the decision was taken out of my hands. Got £250 of John Lewis vouchers from work, so the 32gb Nexus 5x has cost me £30 :D

Should be with me next week. In some ways I will miss my Windows Phone (640),as some of the features are great, and Win 10 has made great strides. I am just starting to miss some apps and functionality. I have a Nexus 7 (2013) which I use everyday, and this hammers it home.

Ordered the Ringke Fusion case to pair it with. Cant wait !!

Associate
Well, its here, and I have to say its fab. Going to get my sim sorted tomorrow, but all updates came in last night and I`m fully up to date.
Early days and I`m very impressed. Very nippy and camera is a step up.
The Ringke Fusion case is one of the better "cheap" cases I have owned. Fits perfect and still offeres feedback from buttons.

Only issue I had was with the Ringke glass screen protector. It just won`t adhere near the top. Called them and I am sending it back for refund.

Anyone got any recommendations for screen protectors? There are plenty on ebay, but its a lucky dip. The Ringke one was expensive at £8. But I don`t mind if it sticks and stays stuck.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems like these are dropping little by little atm. It's currently £260 at the rainforest with prime delivery.

Really tempted to upgrade from my HTC M7 and £260 is a lot more tempting then spending £510 on the new HTC 10. Doesn't seem like it's worth the extra £250!

HTC are rumoured to be creating the next set of Nexus phones so should I wait till then or just get a 5X and upgrade in 6 months? Decisions, decisions ...

BTW what sort of battery life does everyone get with the 5X?

Soldato
Had a little play around with a mates 5x yesterday. Much nicer than I expected!!

Makes my Nexus 5 look fat. :eek:

I still think I'm gonna wait untill the new N devices launch and upgrade then, but I'm getting itchy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am looking at this screen protector:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tempered-P...60410&sr=8-3&keywords=nexus+5x+tempered+glass

I also got this case:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005JP9BHY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is decent enough, although knowing me, I'll probably take the case of in a few weeks :p Naked phones always feel so much nicer!

Seems like these are dropping little by little atm. It's currently £260 at the rainforest with prime delivery.

Really tempted to upgrade from my HTC M7 and £260 is a lot more tempting then spending £510 on the new HTC 10. Doesn't seem like it's worth the extra £250!

HTC are rumoured to be creating the next set of Nexus phones so should I wait till then or just get a 5X and upgrade in 6 months? Decisions, decisions ...

BTW what sort of battery life does everyone get with the 5X?

Personally I would wait if you can.... if not, then you might as well.

Battery life is decent enough, with my usage, it varies between 1-3 days with between 2 to over 4 hours on screen time, no different to any other phone really, you will have to charge at least every night or 2.

Associate

I bought that screen protector from the same seller. Adheres well and works very nicely. Feels much slicker and nicer to use than the plastic protectors I've had on previous phones.

I've got a TUDIA Ultra Slim Case for Nexus 5X and the edge of the protector lines up perfectly with the edge of the case. The edges of the speaker/camera cutouts do collect dust in my pocket due to the PThink being thicker than previous protectors I've used. I can, however, say I'll never go back. Loving the feel of glass.

Last edited:
Soldato
Getting rid of my 6P and moving to one of these, had it 6 weeks and evening coming from an iPhone 6 I can't get to grips with the size. If they did a 6P in the 5x size I'd be all over it.

Will opt for a Spigen thin case and MediaDevil matt screen protector I think..

Caporegime
Noticed a bug with wifi (a lot of posts on it too), 2.4GHz is really slow but if you turn bluetooth on, the speed is fixed. 5GHz is fine though.

EDIT:

It holds up well :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Got my Pthink screen protector today, feels nice with the smoother glass and rounded edges but the cutouts are quite ghastly looking tbh, especially since dust etc. will get caught on the edges, not sure if I will keep it yet....

Taken the case of as well now, can't stand it, even though it adds so little and is probably the best case overall imo, the extra weight and minimal thickness increase is noticeable in your hand and pockets.

Soldato
Got my Pthink screen protector today, feels nice with the smoother glass and rounded edges but the cutouts are quite ghastly looking tbh, especially since dust etc. will get caught on the edges, not sure if I will keep it yet....

Taken the case of as well now, can't stand it, even though it adds so little and is probably the best case overall imo, the extra weight and minimal thickness increase is noticeable in your hand and pockets.

What colour handset do you have? Have you suffered this oil staining issue ...

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom