NHS=Negligent Health Service

Associate
it’s a gross simplification to say they’re all private. They are in some ways, but they hold national contracts that despite being independent businesses in the main they don’t get to negotiate their contracts themselves. They pretty much exclusively provide the NHS contract with very little that could be considered private in reality

I don't know what you think it means to be private sector. It depends on the commissioner, but lots of GPs have choice in the services they provide or don't. There's core services that they all do but there's so much beyond that. I did some work with a GP surgery that invested in a separate annex to take on some community cancer services and other things that would otherwise be done in hospital outpatients instead. Why? Well the partners wanted to expand the partnership and that was a good way to do it. There's no way if it was a public sector org they would have expanded that way. They took a risk and it worked out. It might not have done, and they would have had to wear the loss

Soldato
There are some directly owned by the NHS - not many, but they do exist. Maybe she works for one of those.

However, most GPs are owned by the partners and not the NHS.
Oh I yhink it's owned by partners, but as above I think the main business is the NHS. Also she's on an NHS band so that's why I guess.

Soldato
it’s a gross simplification to say they’re all private. They are in some ways, but they hold national contracts that despite being independent businesses in the main they don’t get to negotiate their contracts themselves. They pretty much exclusively provide the NHS contract with very little that could be considered private in reality

95 percent plus is NHS contracts but that doesnt mean they arent small private businesses....because they are. If it wasn't the NHS it would be some other organisation. GP surgeries are private companies. They are literally run like they are small businesses lmao.

Soldato
they have like a google search programme internally where they look up symptoms ;) watch the reflection in your doctors glasses the next time you go ;)

Is there? Damn, been a doctor for 5 years, worked in 6 hospitals and 4 GP practices, med school for another 5 years and no one bothered to show me that! I feel cheated

Associate
95 percent plus is NHS contracts but that doesnt mean they arent small private businesses....because they are. If it wasn't the NHS it would be some other organisation. GP surgeries are private companies. They are literally run like they are small businesses lmao.

As I said it’s a gross simplification to state that. They are small businesses yes, but they don’t contract in a similar way to other small businesses. They don’t have much freedom outside of the NHS contract and they are prohibited from providing almost all private clinical services to their practice list, whether their patient population would want it or not. Yes they are largely private business based on partnership model, but there are other systems also and it really is more nuanced than just saying they’re private

Caporegime
Is there? Damn, been a doctor for 5 years, worked in 6 hospitals and 4 GP practices, med school for another 5 years and no one bothered to show me that! I feel cheated
just because you didn't come across it yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I bet you can't name all the software used for medical records either, does that mean they aren't real?

I actually thought it was google at one point but someone on this forum many years ago said there is some internal software they can use for diagnosing symptoms

Associate
There are many websites that can be used to aid diagnosis, and many that will breakdown guidelines or when you are fairly sure of the diagnosis or want exclude certain things they can suggest correct tests, but there really isn’t something that you put symptoms in and it spits out a diagnosis despite people trying. All diagnosis is educated guessing and a doctor that doesn’t use google in some form is likely very arrogant indeed or working in an extremely narrow field. The wider your net is in seeing undifferentiated problems the more you will use sources to check and confirm. That is good medicine

The likes of Babylon health and other health tech disrupters like to suggest they have something, but it really doesn’t exist beyond something that flags potentially serious symptoms that warrant being seen

Soldato

I bet you can't name all the software used for medical records either, does that mean they aren't real?

I actually thought it was google at one point but someone on this forum many years ago said there is some internal software they can use for diagnosing symptoms

They aren’t googling symptoms… they have an internal encyclopaedia that they use so they can quickly have all the information on a topic in front of them. It gives them access to printable pdf’s that can be given to patients as pamphlets to take home (because some times patients don’t take in all the information and instructions in the room), it allows them to cross refer medication interactions and shows what else the problem could be if it isn’t the initial diagnosis. It’s very helpful. It’s replaced having to look things up in a text book.

Caporegime

Again more make believe. There's loads of websites to help with clinical diagnosis but I've never met anyone that uses a "search engine for symptoms". That's as someone married to a GP, worked in several GP practices and interacting with GPs daily as a hospital doctor. Never had some refer a patient with "my super doctor google says they've got Lupus".

I do enjoy someone with no clue trying to tell doctors how we do our job though. That's special.

Soldato
Can guarantee the people moaning that doctors don't have an encyclopediac memory and often have to look things up would be the first to complain about their doctor getting something wrong because they didn't look it up :cry:

Commissario
They aren’t googling symptoms… they have an internal encyclopaedia that they use so they can quickly have all the information on a topic in front of them. It gives them access to printable pdf’s that can be given to patients as pamphlets to take home (because some times patients don’t take in all the information and instructions in the room), it allows them to cross refer medication interactions and shows what else the problem could be if it isn’t the initial diagnosis. It’s very helpful. It’s replaced having to look things up in a text book.
I remember my GP when I was a child pulling down several hefty volumes from his shelves when he wanted to make sure of a medication*, I find it funny that people don't realise that even the most experienced person will double check things via reference materials (as part of being a professional is knowing when you might want to check something, if just to make sure your memory is correct or that something hasn't changed), and that in the modern world that's likely to be done via a computer rather than having several bookcases full of books and supplemental papers.

As you say they also use the same system to print out material for the patients, I've ended up coming out of the GP's surgery with a prescription and a couple of pages of instructions more than once.

*From memory he knew what was wrong, but wanted to check to see if the medication he was thinking of was ok for someone my age (and if it was ok with other meds), the dosage, and if there was something that was better for children.

Can guarantee the people moaning that doctors don't have an encyclopediac memory and often have to look things up would be the first to complain about their doctor getting something wrong because they didn't look it up :cry:

Yup

One of the big things about being a professional doing your job properly is to know when/how to check your thinking, as opposed to blindly assuming your memory is 100% correct, and that nothing has changed since your training.

Last edited:
Soldato

Ah yes, someone once upon a time said something to you, most likely hearsay, and that > multiple doctors telling you right now that it doesn't exist. I don't think it would even be very useful.

I'm not afraid to Google during a more complex or unusual consultation though. It is literally impossible to keep up with every updates guideline in the country for every single condition for every single subspecialty. So many papers released every week Along with every indication, interaction and licensing for thousands of drugs. I'd be doing my patients a disservice if I used existing, out-of-date knowledge.

Permabanned
Ah yes, someone once upon a time said something to you, most likely hearsay, and that > multiple doctors telling you right now that it doesn't exist. I don't think it would even be very useful.

I'm not afraid to Google during a more complex or unusual consultation though. It is literally impossible to keep up with every updates guideline in the country for every single condition for every single subspecialty. So many papers released every week Along with every indication, interaction and licensing for thousands of drugs. I'd be doing my patients a disservice if I used existing, out-of-date knowledge.

As a GP maybe you can tell me why so few surgeries are offering a normal level of face to face consultations and patients are forced to hang on their phones for hours in the hope of being selected for one of the few slots each morning.

At the same time the low paid supermarket and shop worker staff have made themselves available every day to thousands of face to face transactions with the general public.

Had the supermarket staff elected to provide such a crippled level of service as GP's are currently doing we'd be eating rats.

Caporegime
I never said it was a bad thing..... I honestly thought it was google it looked like the blank google search page....

I mentioned it on here one time and someone said it's not google but software/website that is specially for doctors. could even have been you trying to cover it up :p

dood did you even read what I posted? part of my post that got people so riled up was this
they aren't walking medical encyclopaedias although I imagine they know what's more likely based on experience of diagnosing people.

Obviously it's impossible to have every known illness in their memory with every small detail accurately retained as knowledge with no possible mistakes.

if your taking chances with peoples health because it's nearly always a cough or whatever then your probably misdiagnosing very serious illnesses like the guy I referenced who had what was i 69weeks before he got diagnosed with lung cancer.

if you missed it this is a good read
The quality of GP diagnosis and referral
https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/default/files/Diagnosis and referral.pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom