NHS=Negligent Health Service

they're all political extremists, and i think that's where the similarities end though
i know that there's the horseshoe theory, but i can't see how you can go far left to far right (and vice-versa) imo
Think of a circle, from your point of view standing on the edge of the circle the further right you go, you will eventually come to what is your left

It's just a way of thinking of them being the same

Last edited:
they're all political extremists, and i think that's where the similarities end though
i know that there's the horseshoe theory, but i can't see how you can go far left to far right (and vice-versa) imo

I don't think it's so much that far left and far right are the same ideology, more that when you go to either extreme you tend to end up with a totalitarian regime where dissent is not allowed.

Can you provide a source for this? Do nurses have some special protection from dismissal? Because in the UK it's a piece of cake for any vaguely competent employer to sack an employee who has less than two years of service.
My wife is a nurse and the amount of incompetent people she works with is staggering - their bosses don’t care as they’re grateful to have any staff.

My wife is a nurse and the amount of incompetent people she works with is staggering - their bosses don’t care as they’re grateful to have any staff.
The amount of nonsense I've seen really makes me appreciate the nurse practitioners in my local surgery - they are the absolute best of people. Anything simple, I just book in with them instead of the GPs because they are competent and also qualified to do prescriptions. There are 3 GPs in my local practice who are superb but getting an appointment is pretty much impossible within a month.

Last edited:
The amount of nonsense I've seen really makes me appreciate the nurse practitioners in my local surgery - they are the absolute best of people. Anything simple, I just book in with them instead of the GPs because they are competent and also qualified to do prescriptions. There are 3 GPs in my local practice who are superb but getting an appointment is pretty much impossible within a month.
My old man used to say that you had to be dead or dying to get to see a doctor quickly nowadays.
I don't think I've seen a doctor since before covid even though I have a heart condition and as such should be seen(telephone appointments only).
Yet I can see HCA's or nurses very easily, all do their job no problem.
The ambulance crews that came to see my mum who kept collapsing on a fairly regularly basis, first class service.

My old man used to say that you had to be dead or dying to get to see a doctor quickly nowadays.
I don't think I've seen a doctor since before covid even though I have a heart condition and as such should be seen(telephone appointments only).
Yet I can see HCA's or nurses very easily, all do their job no problem.
The ambulance crews that came to see my mum who kept collapsing on a fairly regularly basis, first class service.
The problem is the country is just sicker. The doctors are seeing as many or more patients , but there is simply more work. I see 32 patients daily + visits+ e-consults+ all the admin that goes with it, and the running of a business. It's 12 hour days for quite a few years for me now, and I'm tired and ****** off with it all. There is a combination of not enough doctors in reality, combined with increasingly issues of not enough funding to pay properly for what we have. there certainly isn't remotely the funding for what people would like to have if we could magic them up from somewhere

The problem is the country is just sicker. The doctors are seeing as many or more patients , but there is simply more work. I see 32 patients daily + visits+ e-consults+ all the admin that goes with it, and the running of a business. It's 12 hour days for quite a few years for me now, and I'm tired and ****** off with it all. There is a combination of not enough doctors in reality, combined with increasingly issues of not enough funding to pay properly for what we have. there certainly isn't remotely the funding for what people would like to have if we could magic them up from somewhere
Nobody is denying any of what you're saying but from the perspective of the patients they just see it as you can't get in to see a doctor.
It is also the difference in the way that the appointments are made, at our surgery it used to be first come first served and you normally saw your own doctor.
Now you have to make an appointment if you're ill on the day, online from 6am to 10am (I seem to remember) that's fine if you can use the Internet and the system is working, yet if you wanted a medication review booked in or other things like that you can do that at reception.
It's also the time of opening that some people have an issue with. Take our surgery they open 8am-6pm that's about right I would guess for most surgery's but they close once a month for staff training so if you're ill on that day you have to use different services adding pressure on that part of the system. They also no longer open on a Saturday morning like they used to. All this cuts down on how many patients are seen and just pushing them onto another part of the system. If we can't get an appointment on the day we go to the nearest Urgent Care unit and get seen there.

One of my local surgeries shut down in recent years which made absolutely no sense to me. You can clearly see the increase in demand on the remaining practices as those patients had to go somewhere after all.

I do feel for medical staff who are just doing their best, it must be exhausting. Those hours you mention aren’t sustainable and eventually something has to give. :(

NHS Trust, my boss is the Trust Lawyer and it is really hard to get rid of some people.
We even had one in our department and after he had worked for us 6 months and proved completely useless it took another 6 months to get rid of him.
Now put him on the sick(when he became entitled to NHS sick pay) for 6months fully paid and another 6 on half pay then you have the time taken to start the process off and depending what defence they use it will become a very costly exercise. It used to be a lot easier to hire and fire back in the days but there was no safeguards in place now we have too many.
My wife slipped a disc so was off from work for 6 months (NHS). Just before she went onto half pay her manager said basically she should be going back to work or they would have to look to place her somewhere else or she would be dismissed. Luckily she was able to go back even though she really shouldn't have, the doctor was still willing to sign her off.

Last edited:
I'd be genuinely interested if the medical people on here would clarify something

If you watch GP's behind closed doors/in portacabins on TV the doctors appear to be inundated with dross blocking up appointments for nothing. I know it's TV so has to be taken with a pinch of salt but does this correlate with reality in any way?

There was a guy on 1 episode that went along because his foot was achy after footing a ladder for (claimed) 6 hrs or so. Really old people going along because they'd been unsteady. Numerous bad backs etc

Is there a problem that too many people are using the system that don't need to? Is it getting abused because its free and everyone wants to get they're pounds worth?

Nobody is denying any of what you're saying but from the perspective of the patients they just see it as you can't get in to see a doctor.
It is also the difference in the way that the appointments are made, at our surgery it used to be first come first served and you normally saw your own doctor.
Now you have to make an appointment if you're ill on the day, online from 6am to 10am (I seem to remember) that's fine if you can use the Internet and the system is working, yet if you wanted a medication review booked in or other things like that you can do that at reception.
It's also the time of opening that some people have an issue with. Take our surgery they open 8am-6pm that's about right I would guess for most surgery's but they close once a month for staff training so if you're ill on that day you have to use different services adding pressure on that part of the system. They also no longer open on a Saturday morning like they used to. All this cuts down on how many patients are seen and just pushing them onto another part of the system. If we can't get an appointment on the day we go to the nearest Urgent Care unit and get seen there.
You will almost certainly have access to GP appointments out of those hours either at your surgery, or at a nearby surgery where they will have access to your full record under extended hours. I can't imagine anywhere isn't providing this under the PCN DES, as we all jump at every crumb of funding these days, and to not do that becomes economically unviable. Ask if they can get you a Saturday morning slot elsewhere. I do Saturday mornings on a rota , and an extended hours sessions once weekly until 8pm. Give it a few months and it will have periods of being worse still, as I'd be stunned if industrial action isn't voted for in the upcoming ballot for GPs. The government have shafted us too long, and pay cuts over the last year, and I mean cuts, not just "real term cuts allowing for inflation", and risible funding rise offered this year is going to get 2 fingers up from most

I'd be genuinely interested if the medical people on here would clarify something

If you watch GP's behind closed doors/in portacabins on TV the doctors appear to be inundated with dross blocking up appointments for nothing. I know it's TV so has to be taken with a pinch of salt but does this correlate with reality in any way?

There was a guy on 1 episode that went along because his foot was achy after footing a ladder for (claimed) 6 hrs or so. Really old people going along because they'd been unsteady. Numerous bad backs etc

Is there a problem that too many people are using the system that don't need to? Is it getting abused because its free and everyone wants to get they're pounds worth?
I couldn't imagine anything worse than watching that tbh, so can't comment on it directly, but it's a TV programme so is going to be heavily edited, as well as which people will want to be on it. Although we see some dross at times, the vast majority of what we see is ill people, and increasingly complex ill people. I don't think it would be making great TV to watch my job really. Really old people being unsteady though is not dross. They're potentially 1 step off a fall and fractured hip and so fixing that is pretty important really

I couldn't imagine anything worse than watching that tbh, so can't comment on it directly, but it's a TV programme so is going to be heavily edited, as well as which people will want to be on it. Although we see some dross at times, the vast majority of what we see is ill people, and increasingly complex ill people. I don't think it would be making great TV to watch my job really. Really old people being unsteady though is not dross. They're potentially 1 step off a fall and fractured hip and so fixing that is pretty important really

Genuinely interested

How do you fix an 80 odd year old that's getting wobbly?

You will almost certainly have access to GP appointments out of those hours either at your surgery, or at a nearby surgery where they will have access to your full record under extended hours. I can't imagine anywhere isn't providing this under the PCN DES, as we all jump at every crumb of funding these days, and to not do that becomes economically unviable. Ask if they can get you a Saturday morning slot elsewhere. I do Saturday mornings on a rota , and an extended hours sessions once weekly until 8pm. Give it a few months and it will have periods of being worse still, as I'd be stunned if industrial action isn't voted for in the upcoming ballot for GPs. The government have shafted us too long, and pay cuts over the last year, and I mean cuts, not just "real term cuts allowing for inflation", and risible funding rise offered this year is going to get 2 fingers up from most
The times I have said is for the actual surgery to be open. Yes we do have access to out of hours and other surgeries as I did say. It's just the fact of no surgery on training days or Saturday and this is with having 2 surgeries in the group

Genuinely interested

How do you fix an 80 odd year old that's getting wobbly?
it will depend on the cause tbh. often its stopping medicines that were once important for them to reduce their long term risk, but might now be worsening risks in a different way. might be physiotherapy and engaging them in being more active, which can be a real challenge with very crumbly old folk. it might be diagnosing a cardiac condition as a cause that needs eg valve surgery. It might be looking at their vestibular system. Quite often it will be multifactorial and you will be addressing a few of these things at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom