Nikon D850

Those cameras don't have it because it isn't really a feature desired by professionals, but robustness and weather sealing is.

If you are a pro and you really need liveview in accessible places you don't bother with a gimmicky flipout screen but properly stream the liveview to a laptop or tablet.

So no to a weather sealed camera with a flip out screen, but a laptop is fine okay, think your argument fell to bits there tbh :D.

They added it as many pros and enthusiasts clearly want it just not you.

Soldato
OP
Those look great Jase, thanks for sharing. What other features are you particularly impressed with?

It's hard to narrow it down at the moment. I was always going to get the D850 even before it was announced and was happy to do so before hearing reviews etc.

However I had some concerns: a friend had a Canon 5DSR and well honestly it was terrible, unless it was pinned to a tripod it was hard to get good sharp images, it was fussy with lenses and the DR was very poor. He just couldn't live with it and traded it for a 1DX (he also had a 5DIII). At the time Canon put everything down to the MP.

I loved the D810 so was worried that I'd take a hit in the DR, and I was also concerned about lenses and hand held shots with the high MP.

Fortunately, the D850 suffers none of those issues and has exceeded my expectations. The Dynamic Range from what I've tested is really good and hand held shots with every lens I've tried have shown no problems and are really sharp.

So with that said, the things the the features that I like so far are that I've tried :

1) Focus

It's very fast, shares the same system as the D5 which is probably the best out there.

Low Light auto focus at -4EV. Thats what the spec says but I tried it almost darkness and it managed to lock focus on stuff that I could hardly see, big improvement on the D810

Touch focus, not a feature I thought I'd use but now I've got it I can think of situations where it will come in handy

Focus peaking in live view, great feature and you can customise the colours

2) Back light buttons - yes I know we all should know where the buttons are but it's very handy as I do a lot of night photography

3) Focus Stacking - as above really handy

4) Speed - 7 FPS and FPS with the Grip. OK so it's not as good as say the D5 or 1DX as its not as fast and doesn't shoot as long due to buffer. However I tried it today and considering the file sizes it more than enough. I think if you are a sports photographer you'd need to try it to be sure but I think it will cope well in most situations, the focus for sure will be spot on.

5) Tilt Touch Screen - The screen is a big improvement over the D810, even if it wasn't tilt and touch you can instantly see the difference. I wont go into all the features of the touch screen but just to say it is very hand.

6) 45.7 MP! and why not! if it doesn't come with any sacrifices then more the merrier. I do mainly landscape, wildlife and now some studio/portraits so this is great. Looking at some of the test shots I've done the detail is incredible.

7) Video - I doubt it will win awards in this department but 4K uncropped is really good, I was out today and tried that and the 120fps slow motion at 1080 and was pretty impressed. Will come in handy for coupling with my drone footage.

8) Images straight out of camera are superb. It's probably subjective but I always thought the images straight of camera on my Fuji cameras were good compared to other cameras but the D850 beats it and for best out of camera images it's the best I've seen.

I'm sure there is more but I haven't tried the 8K Timelapse and things like that yet.

I think to sum it up it's just an excellent well-rounded camera so to pick certain features is hard as I look at it as the full package, this is a true upgrade and sets itself far ahead of any other DSLR in the bracket IMO.

Associate
Never once had a situation where I couldn't get a photo without an articulating screen. Very hard to see an articulating screen when the viewfinder is pressed against your face!

Very hard to see a flush screen when the camera's at an odd angle on a tripod too, horses for courses.

If I really wanted to use liveview and I really wanted to view this in difficult situation, then I would simply stream the liveview image to a table/phone/laptop.

No that's just a bad argument to support a bad argument.

The weight is more than a few grams, more like 100g or higher. That could be better spent on a larger capacity battery. It is not just the mechanics, but a lot of changes have to be made to the body.

You can buy a larger capacity battery already, it's called the EN-EL18B.

Permabanned
Oh my god one report of a fault.

They should close down Nikon, demolish their headquarters and salt the earth.

One report! LMAO! every camera they make has a QC issue, lets get the list updated, I am sure there will be other issues soon:)

D750, Faulty shutters...
D600, Oil on sensor...
D810, Bright spots on sensor during long exposures...
D850, Flange focal distance defect...

Associate
One report! LMAO! every camera they make has a QC issue, lets get the list updated, I am sure there will be other issues soon:)

Which would be relevant if other manufacturer's made perfect hardware without any issues which of course they don't because that's an unrealistic expectation for any company. There is a world of difference between a company with no standards and a brand new release which may or may not have a single issue that'll be quickly resolved if it is a design flaw.

From the glee you show in your comment it's clear you're only interested in attacking a brand, wouldn't your time be better spent telling us how much harder your dad is than ours?

Soldato
OP

And disproven:

I've had my D850 since day of release zero issues, amazing camera.

As I said way before release and even before specs were confirmed, I was going to buy one immediately and make my own mind up, if you listen to half of the idiots that report something wrong or those who believe it and post it on forums you'd never buy anything.

Every launch of tech will have a bad or faulty item, whether it be a camera, games console, PC Hardware., anything. now maybe he is unlucky or just talking BS who knows... however... reporting something like that will generate more attention which is what he wants and stands out from the rest of the people who are reporting how good it is or simply just using it for what it's for.

Caporegime
And disproven:

I've had my D850 since day of release zero issues, amazing camera.

As I said way before release and even before specs were confirmed, I was going to buy one immediately and make my own mind up, if you listen to half of the idiots that report something wrong or those who believe it and post it on forums you'd never buy anything.

Every launch of tech will have a bad or faulty item, whether it be a camera, games console, PC Hardware., anything. now maybe he is unlucky or just talking BS who knows... however... reporting something like that will generate more attention which is what he wants and stands out from the rest of the people who are reporting how good it is or simply just using it for what it's for.

change of subject, did you get a Gimbal in the end?

Soldato
OP
change of subject, did you get a Gimbal in the end?

Not yet, I'm away next week and will hopefully pick one up then.

It wasn't mentioned in my post regarding Gimbals however I added another to the list and that is the Moza Air Gimbal.

Brandon Li on Youtube (his videos are brilliant) recently did a review on Gimbals... a link to one of them below:

Back
Top Bottom