Nikon D850

Caporegime
I have way too many big costs coming up. If I sell my house at a good value then i'll buy a D850 sometime next year.

The biggest issues with the D850, is that my D800 is such aa great camera, years ahead of its time, it just doesn't feel dated. AF nails everything, it is fast enough for what I do as I don't spray and pray, Image quality still blows me away, I have no need for pointless things like flippy out screen or 4K.

Pointless lol, so many professionals benefit from articulating screens.

Caporegime
Not for, it is completely pointless. Just something that adds cost, weight and might break.

It is impossible to get photos in some situations without an articulating screen, you can't seriously be complaining about a few grams of extra weight on a camera and lens combo that weighs over a kilo...

Caporegime
Never once had a situation where I couldn't get a photo without an articulating screen. Very hard to see an articulating screen when the viewfinder is pressed against your face!

If I really wanted to use liveview and I really wanted to view this in difficult situation, then I would simply stream the liveview image to a table/phone/laptop.

The weight is more than a few grams, more like 100g or higher. That could be better spent on a larger capacity battery. It is not just the mechanics, but a lot of changes have to be made to the body.

Caporegime
Go mirrorless if you are worried about parts breaking. at least mirrorless have no mirror and if you get the a9, you dont even need to use the shutter lol.

less moving parts hehe

That is exactly why eventually all camera will go mirror-less, less parts make it cheaper to make and more reliable.

But I'm not worried about the mirror in a modern DRl, it will do 2-300K activations. Much more worried about an articulated screen getting caught in a strap or clothing, mechanisms jamming, and more paths for water ingress

Caporegime
Never once had a situation where I couldn't get a photo without an articulating screen. Very hard to see an articulating screen when the viewfinder is pressed against your face!

If I really wanted to use liveview and I really wanted to view this in difficult situation, then I would simply stream the liveview image to a table/phone/laptop.

The weight is more than a few grams, more like 100g or higher. That could be better spent on a larger capacity battery. It is not just the mechanics, but a lot of changes have to be made to the body.

Guess you've never been in a crowd of people and needed to hold the camera above your head.

Caporegime
Nope, no desire to. I don't want to photograph the tops of peoples heads with a shaky hand

Are you being deliberately obtuse? In a photojournalism scenario it's very useful to be able to get over the crowd to capture the action. Just because you don't use it doesn't make it pointless, Nikon have added it because the market are demanding it, it's very useful in a variety of situations.

Caporegime
Never seen a photojournalist use a flippy screen. There is a good reason non of the cameras a photojournalist would use (Nikon D4/5, Canon 1D) even have an articulated screen.

Correctly, I have no need for it personally, which is exactly why I said:
"I have no need for pointless things like flippy out screen or 4K." Note the inclusion of the word "I".

Soldato
Never seen a photojournalist use a flippy screen. There is a good reason non of the cameras a photojournalist would use (Nikon D4/5, Canon 1D) even have an articulated screen.

"I have no need for pointless things like flippy out screen or 4K." Note the inclusion of the word "I".
Yea and that reason is simply because those cameras dont have it. The A9 is the first camera of that kind to have it

Caporegime
Those cameras don't have it because it isn't really a feature desired by professionals, but robustness and weather sealing is.

If you are a pro and you really need liveview in accessible places you don't bother with a gimmicky flipout screen but properly stream the liveview to a laptop or tablet.

Soldato
OP
I have way too many big costs coming up. If I sell my house at a good value then i'll buy a D850 sometime next year.

The biggest issues with the D850, is that my D800 is such aa great camera, years ahead of its time, it just doesn't feel dated. AF nails everything, it is fast enough for what I do as I don't spray and pray, Image quality still blows me away, I have no need for pointless things like flippy out screen or 4K.

I agree in a way that the D800 is a great camera, I had one then got a D810 which is an amazing camera.

I've only had the D850 for a day though and I'm already find all the little things so handy, like the touch tilt screen, I even tried the focus stacking tonight and that worked so well and so simple, no need for my focus rail anymore, following as a test with 2 inch models and a macro lens. Could probably have done smaller steps but just left to default and 15-20 shots (it will do up to 300).

D850stk2.jpg

850stk1.jpg

Soldato
I agree in a way that the D800 is a great camera, I had one then got a D810 which is an amazing camera.

I've only had the D850 for a day though and I'm already find all the little things so handy, like the touch tilt screen, I even tried the focus stacking tonight and that worked so well and so simple, no need for my focus rail anymore, following as a test with 2 inch models and a macro lens. Could probably have done smaller steps but just left to default and 15-20 shots (it will do up to 300).

exactly the same here. I love my d810 but this looks amazing. Just filed some ppi claims...if i get a chunk of change i'm definitely upgrading! It looks like a real step up

Not helping guys.......lol

Caporegime

Those are older cameras so of course they don't have flippy screens. The D850 is a camera for professionals, so clearly Nikon believe this is a feature desired by professionals.

You said it's pointless, not "I have no need for things like flippy out screen".

Those cameras don't have it because it isn't really a feature desired by professionals, but robustness and weather sealing is.

If you are a pro and you really need liveview in accessible places you don't bother with a gimmicky flipout screen but properly stream the liveview to a laptop or tablet.

Streaming to a laptop is completely impractical in many scenarios you would need to use an articulating screen, and who wants to carry a laptop with them when they are out in the field? Before I had a camera with an articulating screen I often had to lie in the mud in order to get the perspective shots I needed.

Soldato

D850stk2.jpg

850stk1.jpg

Those look great Jase, thanks for sharing. What other features are you particularly impressed with?

Back
Top Bottom