Nikon D850

Caporegime
Which then raises the questin, why bother luggin around expensive heavy high quality primes and an expensive relatively heavy camera, plus adapter.

Soldato
As long as you don;t care about critical AF performance or Image quality then sure.
Do you mean fast af? Depending on adaptor used the Sony will offer very accurate on sensor af which is far more accurate than phase detection and having to faff about calibrating lenses etc. Slower yes but critically sharp yes too.

As for image quality what's wrong with a top canon prime and the very best sensor the market currently has to offer? Certainly better than pairing it with canons mediocre sensors.

Soldato
I am not getting it for the smaller body, I am getting it for the 42mp, the EVF, the 4k video.

I am keeping my Fuji for the "small body".

Which makes sense like I said everyone has different reasons for wanting/needing gear personally I think your bonkers as the results you get from your existing kit are pretty decent already So I can't see the Sony giving you that much more, will be interesting to see!

Soldato
OP
I had a good play with a D850 today and it's an incredibly good camera. I tried it with a few lenses (old and new models) and the results were fantastic. The autofocus was spot on and although I could only try it at 7fps that felt very quick coming from the D810. I did everything handheld and the detail was spot on.

Very impressed as I hoped I would be.

Caporegime
Which makes sense like I said everyone has different reasons for wanting/needing gear personally I think your bonkers as the results you get from your existing kit are pretty decent already So I can't see the Sony giving you that much more, will be interesting to see!

I like gear...:p it's really nothing more than that. I want to try Zeiss lenses too...also I'm always trying to push for that extra bit, the little better IQ, better AF, within reasons. Seeing I am so invested in Canon glass it's not reasonable to go Nikon for the D850 but it's reasonable to go Sony.

I can probably take the same photos (for most situations), especially stills, with the Fuji but I prefer the ergonomics of the 5D. So it might be that I will never get on with the A7/9, but only 1 way to find out.

I find most reviews or blogs are biased, even the non-sponsored ones where people paid for it themselves as there is the reason to justify his own purchase so the reviewer is never going to say it's rubbish. The quirks of the Fuji are never really mentioned in the reviews, it's something that actually I had to find out myself and something inherent in the DNA of the brand that I just dislike, not hate but dislike. No brand is perfect but I can only apply my decision base on a professional level, my own standard, not other people's reviews.

Soldato
I like gear...:p it's really nothing more than that. I want to try Zeiss lenses too...also I'm always trying to push for that extra bit, the little better IQ, better AF, within reasons. Seeing I am so invested in Canon glass it's not reasonable to go Nikon for the D850 but it's reasonable to go Sony.

I can probably take the same photos (for most situations), especially stills, with the Fuji but I prefer the ergonomics of the 5D. So it might be that I will never get on with the A7/9, but only 1 way to find out.

I find most reviews or blogs are biased, even the non-sponsored ones where people paid for it themselves as there is the reason to justify his own purchase so the reviewer is never going to say it's rubbish. The quirks of the Fuji are never really mentioned in the reviews, it's something that actually I had to find out myself and something inherent in the DNA of the brand that I just dislike, not hate but dislike. No brand is perfect but I can only apply my decision base on a professional level, my own standard, not other people's reviews.
Seems sensible to me!

Caporegime

I think you actually need to spend time using a Canon adapter on a Sony body to realy see what the limitations are. Don't expect to get your Canon Autofocus or image quality.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters/

A Sony A7/9 etc. might eb perfect for you, but I wouldn't count on using your Canon lenses if you are at all serious, buy the Sony lenses that are designed for the mount, flange distance and the sensor micro-lens array.
Which goes back to my earlier point, i don't see why you would want to carry around a load of Canon glass to use on a Sony body via an adapter. If you want a Sony sensor for better resolution and DR, you don;t want to be using an adapter. If you want a lower weight or mroe compact system then you wont find it with FF lenses and an adapter on a camera that is comparable to a DSLR.

Soldato
I think you actually need to spend time using a Canon adapter on a Sony body to realy see what the limitations are. Don't expect to get your Canon Autofocus or image quality.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters/

A Sony A7/9 etc. might eb perfect for you, but I wouldn't count on using your Canon lenses if you are at all serious, buy the Sony lenses that are designed for the mount, flange distance and the sensor micro-lens array.
Which goes back to my earlier point, i don't see why you would want to carry around a load of Canon glass to use on a Sony body via an adapter. If you want a Sony sensor for better resolution and DR, you don;t want to be using an adapter. If you want a lower weight or mroe compact system then you wont find it with FF lenses and an adapter on a camera that is comparable to a DSLR.
Or jump ship to nikon.all there bodies use Sony sensors

Associate
Personally I find learning one menu system is enough for me.

But I don't think Raymond Lin has that problem.

I'm sure the nikon ui could be vastly improved.

Does the D850 improve the ui?

Soldato
As for image quality what's wrong with a top canon prime and the very best sensor the market currently has to offer? Certainly better than pairing it with canons mediocre sensors.
Love the use of language in threads like this, I would never argue canons sensors are a match for sony but mediocre they certainly are not lol

Soldato
OP
Got mine today :

D850.jpg

Nikon have nailed it with this camera, it is amazing. Images are super sharp handheld even without VR so no need to worry about the high MP causing issues.

Can't wait for the weather to clear so I can give it a proper test!

Caporegime
I have way too many big costs coming up. If I sell my house at a good value then i'll buy a D850 sometime next year.

The biggest issues with the D850, is that my D800 is such aa great camera, years ahead of its time, it just doesn't feel dated. AF nails everything, it is fast enough for what I do as I don't spray and pray, Image quality still blows me away, I have no need for pointless things like flippy out screen or 4K.

Back
Top Bottom