*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Goldeneye did get remade/remastered years ago but its release was blocked by Nintendo. Rare were fine with it as were Microsoft. This is also apparently releasing on the xbox as achievements were leaked also.

So we can only hope that if it actually releases it will be the remastered version and not just slapped on the N64 emulator.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Consumers are the problem. If the low effort tripe didn’t sell so well then they would increase their efforts. It’s bad business to increase costs when sales are so high, they want to be on the efficient frontier for profit.

Pokémon is the perfect case study of this.

Personally the fact that its bad business speaks volumes about the world of business and how anti-consumer so much of it is. That being said, you are correct. If people voted with their wallets these practices would soon die out. I guess its a bit like politicians. You get the ones you deserve.

Goldeneye did get remade/remastered years ago but its release was blocked by Nintendo. Rare were fine with it as were Microsoft. This is also apparently releasing on the xbox as achievements were leaked also.

So we can only hope that if it actually releases it will be the remastered version and not just slapped on the N64 emulator.

It would be classic Nintendo to block a high quality remake only to release a **** version themselves. They have history here. Fan made fixes for bugs, better emulators etc that Nintendo tries to shut down only to not fix those bugs and use **** emulation when they release their own versions.

Soldato
Id like to get a Nintendo switch but worried about the issue with joycons going faulty. Is the issue still not resolved yet?

Unfortunately still seems to be a thing, I have had three sets of joy cons, the grey ones which came with my V1 Switch and a set of neons bought around the same time. One set had drift about a year or so ago and the other is fine (so far).

The other set are those which came with my white oled and are currently fine but only couple of months in so will see.

I primarily use a Pro Controller and while not immune to drift seems to be a lot less prevalent than with joy cons.

If you get a problem within warranty I believe Nintendo will fix/replace without much hassle.

Not ideal I know but wouldn't stop me buying a Switch, been a fantastic machine, worth it for Breath of the Wild alone.

Soldato
Gonna have to wait and see i cant be paying for a device with known faults. Stick drift is just gonna cause lots of hassle and expense in the long run.
Shame really. Games like kirby dreamland looked very good.

Soldato
Gonna have to wait and see i cant be paying for a device with known faults. Stick drift is just gonna cause lots of hassle and expense in the long run.
Shame really. Games like kirby dreamland looked very good.

Drift has been reported on Xbox and PlayStation too, less so but it's still supposedly a thing.

Soldato
Managed to find Monster Hunter Rise for under 20 quid the other day and just started it. Surprised how good it looks in handheld mode.
Needed something to re-invigorate the Switch as I'd not really been playing it. Think this game will do nicely!

Have many others played it here? Any tips would be appreciated, as I got quite destroyed in the first hunt... :D

Soldato
Really enjoying the Switch. I thought I would miss the gaming PC but haven't one bit.

It's been 18+ years since I last owned s console and the switch reminds me on the good times I had with the N64.

I've just ordered a memory card as I've just ordered Tony Hawk and also got Saints Row in the sales.

My sister also bought me Luigi's Mansion for Xmas so plenty to go at!

The Switch has deffinately made me fall back in love with gaming and it's great I can share it with my 7 and 3 year old girls. They love mario kart and just dance.

I think the only game I'm missing now is a Zelda.

Is there any new games due out for the switch or has it peaked with the age of the console now?

Associate
Really enjoying the Switch. I thought I would miss the gaming PC but haven't one bit.

It's been 18+ years since I last owned s console and the switch reminds me on the good times I had with the N64.

I've just ordered a memory card as I've just ordered Tony Hawk and also got Saints Row in the sales.

The Switch has deffinately made me fall back in love with gaming and it's great I can share it with my 7 and 3 year old girls. They love mario kart and just dance.

Is there any new games due out for the switch or has it peaked with the age of the console now?

There's always new stuff coming out. In fact, the sequel to the first Zelda : Breath of the Wild is expected to be released this year. It's far from being a dead platform, though I do anticipate the announcement of a "Switch Pro" this year or next.

Associate
Managed to find Monster Hunter Rise for under 20 quid the other day and just started it. Surprised how good it looks in handheld mode.
Needed something to re-invigorate the Switch as I'd not really been playing it. Think this game will do nicely!

Have many others played it here? Any tips would be appreciated, as I got quite destroyed in the first hunt... :D
Practice, practice and practice ! My initial advice would be to try all the various weapons and stick with one ( or possibly two ) that fits your playstyle. Don't try and master several at once ; you want to try and build up proficiency if you can, and the best way to do that is keep practicing with one weapon. Also, maybe have a look at a few videos on YouTube to learn the various combos for your weapon. I went with longsword initially with bow as backup but changed the latter to light bowgun.

Soldato
Gave Mario Kart 8 an hour or two yesterday.

I don't think I like it, you know.

I hate loadouts (in all games), I hate that everything's already unlocked (deluxe version feature I guess), I miss seeing lap and race times (I'm a SNES Kart original fan). It seems too easy (winning 150cc championships on my first sight of tracks), the racing feels a bit disconnected from the track, among other irritations. I don't even like it as much as Sonic Racing Transformed.

Perhaps I'm just too old for it :(

fez

fez

Caporegime
Gave Mario Kart 8 an hour or two yesterday.

I don't think I like it, you know.

I hate loadouts (in all games), I hate that everything's already unlocked (deluxe version feature I guess), I miss seeing lap and race times (I'm a SNES Kart original fan). It seems too easy (winning 150cc championships on my first sight of tracks), the racing feels a bit disconnected from the track, among other irritations. I don't even like it as much as Sonic Racing Transformed.

Perhaps I'm just too old for it :(

Yeah the fact everything was unlocked was annoying but apart from that, my only complaint about it was that they haven't released any more DLC and are milking it for every single penny they can before they give us a new MK game.

Man of Honour

I'm loving the Switch; I had one on launch in 2017 but got rid of it when there was a bit of a lull after launch. Picked up an OLED before Xmas and loving it; still had some games I'd bought electronically (Mario Kart in particular!), picked up a few things in the sale although seem to be mainly sinking time into GTA: Vice City...

How is Tony Hawk on the Switch? Its on my list but thought I might just buy it physically in-case it wasn't good!

Already got Saints Row and Bomberman too in the sale and might add Bioshock Trilogy (£16), Burnout Paradise (£7.50) and the Civ 6 anthology before the sale ends on the 12th as they are well cheaper than finding even used physical copies; also kinda tempted by the Spyro Trilogy; showing my age!

Man of Honour
There's always new stuff coming out. In fact, the sequel to the first Zelda : Breath of the Wild is expected to be released this year. It's far from being a dead platform, though I do anticipate the announcement of a "Switch Pro" this year or next.

I kind held off buying another one for a while hoping for the "Pro"; I think it'll be next year now if anything; sales don't seem to be slowing down for the current & OLED models and the chip shortage isn't going to support another big platform launch (heck we still can't get Xbox/PS5 regularly!)

Associate
I kind held off buying another one for a while hoping for the "Pro"; I think it'll be next year now if anything; sales don't seem to be slowing down for the current & OLED models and the chip shortage isn't going to support another big platform launch (heck we still can't get Xbox/PS5 regularly!)

I agree - if it wasn't for the silicon shortage and pandemic I think a Switch Pro would have been announced last year. When it does eventually arrive it will feature the OLED screen, kick-stand and upgraded audio capabilities of the latest Switch model ( which I'm confident were initially intended for the Switch Pro ). As you say, though, there isn't any rush for Nintendo to release new hardware as the platform continues to have strong sales.

Soldato
A Pro version has been touted endlessly, Nintendo has shown time and again they go their own way.

Don't recall any supposed insiders, experts or analysts calling out an OLED switch with the same specs prior to it actually being announced.

I don't think there will be a Pro model at this point, more likely there will be a Switch 2 in 2024/25.

Back
Top Bottom