*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
I think they would be better just going down the improved 3ds route, unless you erase a cheap console it's never going to win over the xbox/ps4 I think thats one of the reasons it did so well.

Associate
I'm struggling to see Nintendo's USP this time around. The Wii won because of it's low cost coupled with people's grand ideas of being able to swing a sword (reliving childhood fantasies) but that seems to have died somewhat with everyone releasing their own versions of motion control.

They need to sell things at an attractive price, get third party devs back on board and continue to make the games that they always do. I personally love Nintendo and believe they make some of the best games so here's hoping the NX can deliver something attractive to both users and devs.

Soldato
OP
The Nintendo NX: Separating fact from fiction

Nintendo’s next console (the Nintendo NX) has been picking up a lot of media attention over the past year and as a result the internet is rife with facts and speculation.

Nintendo fans frantically bash amiibo against their keyboards, in an effect to unlock the latest announcement. While in some in some dark corner of twitter an out-of-context screenshot retweets its way into the headlines of countless news sites.

So what do we really know about the Nintendo NX and what “facts” are actually fiction?

Let’s take a look…

http://www.consolefood.co.uk/article/nintendo-nx-facts-separating-fact-from-fiction

Caporegime
So excited to see what Nintendo bring out here. Some real information this year would be very nice, and get me right aboard the hype train.

Soldato
A big launch title would be enough for many people. Remember when Nintendo consoles launched with killer games? Super Mario Bros. , Super Mario World, Mario 64. Release the NX with an epic game that makes us buy one!

Associate
A big launch title would be enough for many people. Remember when Nintendo consoles launched with killer games? Super Mario Bros. , Super Mario World, Mario 64. Release the NX with an epic game that makes us buy one!

You are talking about great first party titles but without a decent third party line up too, the console would be destined to fail. I'm hoping that the NX will make it asy for devs to get on board (even quick ports of existing titles just so they can be sure they'll make return on investment).

Soldato
I really think at this point in time Nintendo needs to make the NX a gimmick free (basic console) with more raw power than current gen consoles. I also think the mobile gaming market already belongs to phones and tablets and Nintendo should just release its games on them. If this is some kind of hybrid it will confuse and water down the performance of its console part

Soldato
You are talking about great first party titles but without a decent third party line up too, the console would be destined to fail. I'm hoping that the NX will make it asy for devs to get on board (even quick ports of existing titles just so they can be sure they'll make return on investment).

Agreed. A kickass launch title wouldn't do the work alone - but units would fly off the shelf! It would have to be epic tho. Another 3D Mario World wouldn't cut it. Another Mario 64 would.

In addtion to 3rd party support Nintendo also need to sort out their online service. It's rubbish currently. And let us link virtual console games to our accounts ffs! No other developer can offer such a backlog but i'll be ****ed if I'm going to re-buy every Nintendo game for each platform they release.

Caporegime
IIRC isn't a complete overhaul of Nintendo's online services something that is at the forefront of its "next gen" releases?

We don't have anything concrete yet, but I would like to hope so. Nintendo do their own thing anyway, so who knows. They are a family console though, they have always tried to be that first and foremost. Wouldn't surprise me if they keep down that path.

Soldato
Nintendo haven't chased power in decades, why start now?

Other than handhelds and the Wii, which is a bit of a one-off sales wise, Nintendo haven't done well at all and haven't been within a country mile of the nes/snes/N64 glory days for decades. I want proper, epic, flagship, Mario, Metroid and Zelda games. No more playing it safe - proper Nintendo games that blow your face off. Bar a very few exceptions that prove the rule, we haven't had that in a very long time.

Soldato
Reluctant to believe a word of any "leaker" till at least the summer/autumn, almost certainly anything we hear till then will be horse-poo.

The hybrid thing is certainly I think one of the most widely held views - I don't think anyone will be surprised if it turns out to be a hybrid hh/home console all in one. Still - this is Nintendo - they always come up with some sort of curve-ball, expect the unexpected.

I don't see Nintendo wanting to get involved in some sort of spec war. Handheld I'm expecting no more than 720P.

Soldato
Handheld I'm expecting no more than 720P.

Me too, and it is a bit of a concern. I used my 3DS for the first time in a year or so on holiday a few weeks back and it looked shockingly dated compared to my phone. These days people want sexy screens and slick, crisp visuals - not something that looks obviously worse than a device they use every day. For me, at least, Nintendo have been shooting themselves in the foot for the last two generations. They're arguably still the best game developer around but a combination of playing things sickeningly safe while being held back by hardware has resulted in a pale imitation of what they used to be.

Soldato
And yet despite that they've sold a fair few DS units, so maybe the majority aren't that bothered - it's just the enthusiast tier that gets narked, or a section of the enthusiast tier.

Soldato
We'll see. I think attitudes are changing and people are becoming less forgiving now they're used to qhd resolutions on tiny screens. I've never had an issue and traditionally have upgraded Nintendo handhelds with every new iteration (and sometimes just for the colour!) and have done so since the GB. That's more handhelds than I'd care to think about. But the time I described above was the first time I thought - this looks rubbish. And that's purely because I've been gaming a fair bit on my phone.

Associate
Other than handhelds and the Wii, which is a bit of a one-off sales wise, Nintendo haven't done well at all and haven't been within a country mile of the nes/snes/N64 glory days for decades. I want proper, epic, flagship, Mario, Metroid and Zelda games. No more playing it safe - proper Nintendo games that blow your face off. Bar a very few exceptions that prove the rule, we haven't had that in a very long time.

:confused: So you mean other than pretty much their entire lineup since N64 being successful? Not to mention Amiibos. Granted the Wii U sales didn't explode like the Wii but it is still a good console that has some great games.

If Nintendo go for PS4 hardware specs, x86, portable game play and decent online setup they will smash it.

Back
Top Bottom