*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
I do wonder what games people are playing if they think DK:TF is hard. I think I perhaps have a reasonably high threshold for being bang average at games but sticking at them and beating them eventually. Hollow knight had a few bosses that took a lot of goes, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne were quite tricky in places but not too bad and Celeste was hard at times but OK.

I think the biggest part of making games fair is making sure that you are always responsible for your deaths/failure. All four of the games I have mentioned definitely follow that 99% of the time.

We have similar tastes by the looks of it. I think it's this level of fair challenge that keeps me interested. Since the souls series, other games don't hold my interest as much because they don't have this challenging aspect.

I wonder if people claim a game to be hard, when it should be described as not easy if that makes sense? Hard to explain what I'm going for with that comment :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
We have similar tastes by the looks of it. I think it's this level of fair challenge that keeps me interested. Since the souls series, other games don't hold my interest as much because they don't have this challenging aspect.

I wonder if people claim a game to be hard, when it should be described as not easy if that makes sense? Hard to explain what I'm going for with that comment :)

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. Most games vary the difficulty by adding enemies, upping the damage or reducing your health which still means you can easily cheese your way through them if needs be. A lot of AAA games are also mainly cinematic stories that you run through as the protagonist. Difficulty isn't where the satisfaction lies. The games that are actually hard require you to "git gud" to varying degrees. When I was stuck in Hollow Knight I usually overcame the hurdle by actively focussing on learning their moves and how many hits I could get before retreating. Basically not being too greedy.

Man of Honour
I think I've reached the final boss on Hollow Knight, got about 70% complete and I think I will just go ahead and finish the game rather than hunt for more completion stuff. Fabulous game and more than got my money's worth out of it, just don't feel a real incentive to go for 100% and kind of want to move on after some 30 odd hours :)

Still on the fence about many games, Donkey Kong keeps catching my attention having never played it on Wii U the value is there, any thoughts on that one?

An excellent game with a massive rip-off price. I'd wait for a discount.

DK is as difficult as you want it to be. It's not easy getting 100% on it.

Soldato
An excellent game with a massive rip-off price. I'd wait for a discount.

DK is as difficult as you want it to be. It's not easy getting 100% on it.

Yep the prices are horrendous as always :) a fair few places are out of stock too. I've ordered it because I'm an idiot but if I finish it I can turn it around for like £35. Though I do like to keep hold of games if I can

Man of Honour
Not a bad price tbh, I still don't know if I'd enjoy it or not having missed banjo back in the day (i was a Mario 64 guy ;) )

It got a mixed reception at launch but I heard the Switch port was really well done

It's really a banjo game, so a collectathon style game first and a platformer second.

Soldato
Started Donkey Kong tonight. Really enjoying it so far. I must admit the first level had me a bit worried, but as you make your way through, new ideas and mechanics are thrown in that work really well. It's clearly really well made.

I got to the 2nd world map, then decided to return to the 1st and try to collect the puzzle pieces that I missed. Some are nicely hidden :). I managed the time trial on the cart level after so many finishes at 1:51:01 ;) literally 2 times in a row, what are the odds.

Then tried a time trial on a conventional level... eff that! Seems impossible at first attempt ;)I think I'll focus on the collectibles as I am and maybe try the time trials at the end

Overall I don't think it's that difficult yet, certainly not unfair or anything like that. Find it odd that it tries to auto select funky mode at the start, surely it should default to classic and then allow the option on top of that.

Soldato
I can get bronze but I am way off gold or silver in the TT. There are some tricks I think but I haven't looked into it yet.

£26 for Yooka is still a bit much. Needs to be around £15 for me to bite.

Soldato
I can get bronze but I am way off gold or silver in the TT. There are some tricks I think but I haven't looked into it yet.

£26 for Yooka is still a bit much. Needs to be around £15 for me to bite.

I'll see how I get on but I probably will just settle for bronze and remain calm ;) I did enjoy chasing gold on the cart level though, but that's a bit easier than a level on foot, timing jumps, enemies and interactions etc.

Enjoyed the boss fight too. Went in expecting a classic Nintendo "jump on his head 3 times" deal but it was much more than that :)

Soldato
It's really a banjo game, so a collectathon style game first and a platformer second.

Unfortunately not a patch on Banjo, or any of the N64 Rare platform adventure games. Playtonic got a lot right, but in the end Yooka-Laylee feels like the devs built a decent world, chucked a load of collectables in the air and left them where they landed. On the plus side, there's a load of promise here and this is a much maligned genre that needs backing, just don't expect classic Rare.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately not a patch on Banjo, or any of the N64 Rare platform adventure games. Playtonic got a lot right, but in the end Yooka-Laylee feels like the devs built a decent world, chucked a load of collectables in the air and left them where they landed. On the plus side, there's a load of promise here and this is a much maligned genre that needs backing, just don't expect classic Rare.

A lot like Donkey Kong 64 then.

Soldato
Yeah man it is amazing value and I would recommend it to anyone. I don't have enough patience on the later bosses and got frustrated so it's time to move on. Stunning game though.

Soldato
Yeah man it is amazing value and I would recommend it to anyone. I don't have enough patience on the later bosses and got frustrated so it's time to move on. Stunning game though.
50 hours for £11 is so rare these days and to be of a high quality too is just great. I probably missed a fair bit but felt I was fairly thorough before the credits rolled, great time. Kept me busy while the partner watched love island at 9.. every.. single.. night!

Back
Top Bottom