1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Nintendo Switch ***

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Boomstick777, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

the PS4 was widely sold out for a long time after launch. so it had stock issues at the start.

2. Plainsong

Soldato

So did the Switch.

Anyway whether it does or it doesn't won't be known for a long time yet. Until then it is all guesswork.

Also it doesn't matter one little bit. If we all get great games that we want to play then everyone wins.

3. roman59

Wise Guy

Anyone hooked on Farm Together, really impressed with the game & price too.

Cheers All

4. jmc007

Mobster

Trials Rising has taken over my Switch, I am having a ball with it.

5. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Just had an email about Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Watched the trailer.

These games are really tired... same old combat... new Pokemon that nobody cares about. Usually an awful storyline with the slowest cutscenes ever. Same old spam everything with your overpowered starter Pokemon with no incentive to use anything other than its best move....

Sun and Moon were super underwhelming. I’ll only buy this the formula is refreshed far beyond ‘new 3D environments’.

6. Huddy

Hitman

What would you have them change?

The formula is unlikley to change much as Pokemon sells bucket loads and the target audience age range will always prevent the complexity of the games ever increasing substantially. Other than generational graphic improvements and moving to 3D I'm not sure what else Game Freak can do.

7. Nitefly

Man of Honour

I think ‘stop adding boring pokemon’ is high on the list. Less is more. The more Pokemon there are the less interesting they become. I mean... that ice cream Pokemon is just terrible.

Get rid of the whole ‘gym badge / elite 4’ thing as the dominant story - it’s been done to death. Give the game an interesting narrative that goes against the grain. Something low key / about gangs or nothing to actually do with Pokemon... rather than world domination incoming by some stupid god Pokemon.

A move away from the completely ‘static’ fights.

Just something different :p

8. jmc007

Mobster

I was done with Pokémon for good after one play through of the Blue version back on the GB, wow twenty years ago now that was.

9. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Zelda always sells well and they changed a working formula for that.

10. steve5424

Hitman

They didn't really change it all that much. The basics are still the same. It was more the graphics and style of game. Changed to free roam and not top down.

Pokemon though I've been seeing things where people were moaning for ages that it was all the same and it needed updated, then where moaning about Lets go, because they did change things.

They just can't win.

11. InfiniteNoise

Wise Guy

I'm so looking forward to the new Pokemon games, Let's Go was really disappointing, it removed too many features that made earlier games good.

12. Nitefly

Man of Honour

I think the new Zelda really mixed things up. The free roaming gameplay was very fresh. A link between worlds was also fresh in the way the item system worked.

Have been watching my partner play through let’s go - seems fairly akin to blue and red save that you don’t fight the pokies to catch them.

13. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Er... Botw is an enormous change for the series, and exactly the sort of change a stale franchise like pokemon needs.

14. steve5424

Hitman

The basics are the same though. You play Link, you get weapons and over the game get better weapons. follow the story to discover more about your history and rescue Zelda. That main part is not any different. The style of gameplay has certainly changed.

15. InfiniteNoise

Wise Guy

At least with BotW you can pretty much go straight to the final boss as soon as you can, which makes it fun and challenging. :p

16. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

That's just so completely wrong I don't even know where to begin. Forget the story, Zelda has never had a story worth paying attention to and this is no different.

The core of the game is entirely different. You have every item available and every region is open to you from the start, compared to the traditional format of a very limited scope with very specific new areas becoming available as you collect game changing items in a very linear way.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  17. InfiniteNoise

Wise Guy

Forgot to ask, is there a thread where we can exchange Switch friend codes? I see one for DS/3DS but nothing for Switch.

18. steve5424

Hitman

Have you played Link's Awakening, Twilight Princess or A Link to the Past or Wind Waker? they all have really good and interesting stories, which develop well during the course of the game.

19. wingman

Mobster

BoTW is hugely different from the rest of the Zelda franchise except, ironically maybe, from the original game.

20. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Yep, completed them all. They all have very generic and shallow plots and characters. Majora's Mask is the example to give for a Zelda with an interesting plot and characters, but even that is only good compared to the others in the series.

You completely neglected to respond to the most relevant section of my post where I directly responded to you.