*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
I bought some store wallet and purchased Big Brain Academy. Seems fun and it's easy enough for my daughter to also join in.

I did put on little more than the game cost though, contemplating on getting either Zelda: BOTW or Triangle Strategy. Any thoughts on either of them?

Also for store wallet you could use switchup.gg and code SWITCHUP at checkout. I got £75 for £67.50. Switchup is actually a YouTube channel that most of you are probably aware off by now.

Soldato
My switch is going to get more use on my plane journey Thursday. Then it probably has the year currently.

Travel is where the switch just comes in to its own, it can't be beaten for a portable gaming device, even with the advent of Steam Deck. The Switch is just a much more appealing travel device. I had a 13hr journey last week with connecting flights, it made the journey way bearable. Travel aside, I just like being able to pick the thing up and play on the sofa, instead of disappearing to the gaming room.

I also can't see the next variant of Switch coming out until at least 2024, I'm fine with that. I still appreciate what the Switch offers now and accept its limitations.

Associate
...Travel aside, I just like being able to pick the thing up and play on the sofa, instead of disappearing to the gaming room...

This is the crux for me. My wife still gets my (frankly excellent) company and also gets free choice of the TV, while I get to do what I actually want :D.

Although I'm not yet an owner, I'd actually disagree on the Steam Deck. To me it looks like a good device to own in parallel and realistically I can see my indie purchases halting on the Switch if and when I get a Steam Deck. Switch for the Nintendo first party games, Steam Deck for almost everything else.

Soldato
Travel is where the switch just comes in to its own, it can't be beaten for a portable gaming device, even with the advent of Steam Deck. The Switch is just a much more appealing travel device. I had a 13hr journey last week with connecting flights, it made the journey way bearable. Travel aside, I just like being able to pick the thing up and play on the sofa, instead of disappearing to the gaming room.

I also can't see the next variant of Switch coming out until at least 2024, I'm fine with that. I still appreciate what the Switch offers now and accept its limitations.

Yeah I really struggle doing nothing. It's just kept me occupied for a 2h bus drive and 9h flight tomorrow it shall come into its own.

Soldato
I'm really tempted to pickup 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. I've never played it before but it releases on Tuesday for the Switch. I hear so much good stuff about it literally everywhere that it's hard to resist.

Soldato
Anyone else notice the Digital Foundry podcast where they discussed the newest Zelda trailers and they have a strong suspicion it's not running on 'current' Switch hardware, due to some of the effects in use.

Adds more fire to the Switch Pro/2 coming with BotW. The hype train lives...

fez

fez

Caporegime
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Nintendo held it back to encourage sales of a revised Switch. I have no idea how close they are to market saturation with the Switch but I would think their plan is to rake in the money for one last Christmas period and then launch the next console next year with BOTW2 and rake in a load more money. I simply cannot believe that BOTW has taken them over 5 years to develop based on everything we know about it. Makes 0 sense even considering COVID.

Soldato
Yep, plus given the heavy and believable rumours the OLED was MEANT to be the PRO, but they couldn't get enough of some of the various chips involved etc (hence the dock being upgraded already), it would easily make sense that they have simply obtained the necessary chips now that they'll have had another year and a half to wait for pricing/availability to become more acceptable.

I have to admit, even as someone who plays the Switch on and off, a true hardware power revision, assuming it is not stupidly small power upgrade, will be enough for me to upgrade. The current processing just slugs down in way too many places for me, enough for it to be noticeable. Even the e-shop is laggy haha

It'd be nice to just get games running at a locked 720p30/60 handheld, and 1080p30/60 locked in docked tbh!

Given the base platform the games are designed around this would be a fairly modest hardware upgrade I think, even without higher graphical settings or with more demanding games. Steam deck wipes the floor with Switch at a reasonable price that Nintendo could beat, and the Switch is based off Maxwell Nvidia side so very dated at this point. Something newer and likely smaller and more power efficient would likely be able to wipe the floor with it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone played Off Road Unleashed (eShop link)? It's currently on sale for £4.49. It's an open world game and it's really fun. Seems it was originally a mobile game but has been remade for Switch, well worth checking the demo out.

It's one that would have flown over my radar had I not seen someone on Reddit recommending the game.

What are current news on upcoming Mario-franchise games?

I think the most recent title was Mario Party Superstars. This did a pretty good job at putting together the first 3 Mario Party games (from Nintendo 64), with maps and mini-games now in HD graphics.

My favourite games on the Switch are Mario Odyssey and Mario Galaxy (port).

I'm hoping that we receive a Mario Odyssey 2 and also receive the Mario Galaxy 2 (port).

Soldato
Anybody else had a Switch long term and experiencing faults with the switch hardware?

We purchased one for our daughter and its coming up to 4 years old.

A year after purchase, the game card slot wasn't holding/ejecting the game cards properly.

Two years after purchase and one of the Joycons suffered the drift issue.

Now, the left Joycon can be released without engaging the release button and the right Joycon when you click it into place, doesn't seen to register buttons or movements and you have to release and click it into place a couple of times before it does. It then also occasionally disconnects whilst gaming.

Clearly out of warranty so will cost me in repairs. No idea how much. Anyone else had similar issues?

We've ordered a Switch Lite as she tends to play the majority of the time in handheld mode anyway. Might just leave the standard Switch connected to the TV and have it in docked mode only, as it works perfectly fine that way.

Last edited:
Soldato
One of the issues (connection issue) is the rail on the Switch not the joycon. This is a known issue and is an easy fix.

The other issue is the plastic latch has worn down on the joycon, which Nintendo don’t fix if out of warranty as it’s not drift related. This can be replaced by a metal one for £3 from Amazon.

Might have a Google and see if it's something I can do.

Will wait for the Switch Lite to arrive and be set up before I do though. Think my daughter's world would end if she play on a Switch for any period of time!

Soldato
Got BOTW again. It was only $31.99 in GameStop and I prefer the US cover so thought why not. Got SMT V too, not sure why, just got caught up in the moment.

Back
Top Bottom