*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
Count me as someone who thinks there absolutely is a need to release a Switch 2. The current model feels very dated and struggles with performance on several titles. I think many would appreciate higher framerates and better graphical fidelity ( especially on a large screen in docked mode ). I wouldn't be surprised if something is announced to coinicide with the release of BOTW2.

Soldato
I would agree with this, I love my Switch, but even the E-Shop chugs and stutters and slow loads; let alone the actual games. Nintendo's first party titles have got better optimised for the system over time, but they're no stranger to having to utilise less than 1080p with stable framerates docked, and sometimes less than 720p stable when portable; and that's often targetting 30FPS, let alone 60+ would be even better and really should be the goal. It really wasn't a high end chip when the Switch first announced, let alone released, and now 5 years later, it's very long in the tooth; and reaching the point where ports of modern titles in anything like the format of other systems is simply not possible; which means in many cases they cannot be released without substantial rework and there simply isn't the money there at most dev studios to do this; because they have to rework for massively lower CPU and GPU targets; and the other studios have moved on from 360/PS3 era computing power requirements.

I honestly believe and have done for some time, that the OLED Switch model was MEANT to be the PRO, but the chip shortage essentially killed it, and what we got was the OTHER (or some of the other; I could believe more RAM/even more storage was originally intended but was then also knocked on the head when it became clear the new chip wasn't going to make it) improvements that they could still get all the components for.

I mean, it could be that no Pro was planned, but Nintendo has a history of mid-life cycle system upgrades (N3DS for example), and with so MANY rumours of a Pro, and even some Devs rumoured to have got one, plus all the other upgrades in the Switch OLED, it seems very likely they originally intended to include a better processor; hell even the dock now has built in LAN and apparently is now HDMI 2.0 compatible; yes that could again be parts availability, but it does all seem to lend towards there having been a bigger plan originally; but the likelihood is that they/NVIDIA simply couldn't get the chips made in either the numbers they needed, or at a price they could accept; and so they released the rest of the package as is. I mean, a Switch Pro that had a decent mid-tier step up (2x CPU/GPU really likely wouldn't have been too much of a challenge, look at the Steamdeck for example, if Valve can do that for around £450 starting price, then Nintendo buying at the sort of volume they're talking about DEFINATELY could have got something considerably more powerful than the standard Switch, whilst still being relatively affordable to build, maybe £150-300, and charged £400+ for it) in horsepower and would have got games running nicely at 720p30/60 and 1080p60 docked, maybe with a bit more visual flare/extra effects would have done a lot to tide people over until the genuine Switch 2 arrived in 2023/2024.
The fact that Nintendo went out of thier way to address/refute the rumours that the OLED was originally MEANT to be the PRO, that 4K dev kits had gone out etc etc, also adds fuel to the fire for me. Nintendo normally IGNORES any unfounded rumours and does not bother to correct them. The fact they responded to this rumour in the first place says a lot to me.

Honestly a lot of Switch games do a lot, considering the hardware, but I honestly think that, if we hadn't had the Chip shortage, we would have seen a processing power upgrade; simply to ensure current gen titles could run smoothly, and 4k output could be available by some sort of upscaling technique, rather than any true native 4K output.

An easy way to resolve this for people would be to bring the Switch 2 forward slightly, timescale wise, and then make the Switch 2 backwards compatible for Switch 1 games (essentially much like the PS5 can play most games like a PS4 Pro or better), whilst offering substantially more resources for new titles aimed at the new hardware.

Realistically, with how Nintendo tends to try and follow efficient pricing sweet spot for components these days, rather than chasing the high end, it'd be good to see them roll something out in the next year or 2 that is heading towards the same power as a SteamDeck, or better (ARM/Nvidia-based or not); that'd be an absolutely massive power upgrade over the original Switch and much more allow the new Switch to keep up with the PS5/Series S and X, at least on a basic game design level, even if settings/details have to be pared down. This should really be a goal; to encourage wider developer support for the system. This is Nintendo, I'm not getting my hopes up unrealistically; more a case the Switch 1 hardware is so anaemic by modern standards, that getting something considerably more powerful at an affordable component price should be relatively easy for them, especially now the worst of the component shortages seem to be starting to fade.

The current system architecture though is way too far behind the rest of the market for basic game design to really be transferred as is, even at lower graphical settings, especially for more complex titles. The Jaguar cores in the XBONE and PS4 are very dated, but the Nintendo ARM processor is considerably more so.

I would also agree an announcement/release around BOTW2 could make a lot of sense. They could have pushed the game back as more time was needed; but also equally possible they pushed it back to tie in with a potential new hardware release (or both); early 2023 would put it at roughly 1.5 years after Switch OLED, so definately possible.
Given the Switch launched with BOTW1, launching either Switch 2 or Switch PRO with BOTW2 would be fitting.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree and think at least a pro is needed if not a full on switch 2. I still think its coming and BOTW2 will be the launch title for whatever route they go.

Associate
On the topic of the switch 2/pro I certainly hope they stick with an oled screen as the lcd screen used in the original switches were horrendous.

A real lack of contrast.

Like some on here I do wish the switch was more powerful. Breath of the wild is probably the best open world game I’ve ever played but the performance in places is poor.

I guess a switch Pro would make more sense, or a switch 2 that is essentially a switch 1 with more power, and every single switch game works on it too. That would be fine and similar to the switch lite just serve a customer that wants a better performing way to play botw etc

Caporegime
I guess a switch Pro would make more sense, or a switch 2 that is essentially a switch 1 with more power, and every single switch game works on it too. That would be fine and similar to the switch lite just serve a customer that wants a better performing way to play botw etc

Would be good to see enhanced versions of many of the games that struggled on the Switch like Witcher 3/BOTW etc. a lot of that groundwork is already in place with the dynamic resolution systems. Even just constant native res/higher FPS would be good.

Soldato
Count me as someone who thinks there absolutely is a need to release a Switch 2. The current model feels very dated and struggles with performance on several titles. I think many would appreciate higher framerates and better graphical fidelity ( especially on a large screen in docked mode ). I wouldn't be surprised if something is announced to coinicide with the release of BOTW2.
I don’t think we will see the new switch until 2024. The switch was mid life last year which means it will be discontinued in 2025. Nintendo tends to release a new console 1 year before discontinuing the previous one. New games seem to be coming with the AMD FSR system to help with graphics and performance.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Nintendo will do whatever make them the most money and they are still selling the current Switch like hotcakes 5 years after launch. Much like MK8, there is just no real incentive to offer a new one that will most likely cannibalise sales of the current Switch for no real gain. Some people will upgrade but I doubt it would be *that* many.

My biggest issue with the Switch is their approach to new games, not the hardware.

Associate
I don’t think we will see the new switch until 2024. The switch was mid life last year which means it will be discontinued in 2025. Nintendo tends to release a new console 1 year before discontinuing the previous one. New games seem to be coming with the AMD FSR system to help with graphics and performance.

It's already in its 6th year ... that's beyond midlife for most console generations. I remain confident the Switch successor will be released at the same time as BOTW2.

Soldato
It's already in its 6th year ... that's beyond midlife for most console generations. I remain confident the Switch successor will be released at the same time as BOTW2.
Nintendo said switch was mid-life https://dotesports.com/hardware/new...ts-life-cycle-according-to-nintendo-president

It has only just become 5 years old.

We definitely won’t see it with BOTW2 early next year. Late 2024 at the earliest.

Nintendo are still selling loads of switch consoles and couldn’t release anything as soon as 2023 even if they wanted to as there are and will continue to be lots of supply chain problems.

Nintendo said switch was mid-life https://dotesports.com/hardware/new...ts-life-cycle-according-to-nintendo-president

It has only just become 5 years old.

We definitely won’t see it with BOTW2 early next year. Late 2024 at the earliest.

Nintendo are still selling loads of switch consoles and couldn’t release anything as soon as 2023 even if they wanted to as there are and will continue to be lots of supply chain problems.

matches my thoughts, except for BOTW2, I can't see being delayed any later than 2023.

Back
Top Bottom